Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

gledit.png

Colors still wrong, doesn't look like MK1 palette. xD

Sexy... :)

@Jarvis, Thanks for the crit. I'll lessen the Freeze's stereo imaging and hit the bass button on the Hit. :p Clipping, eh? I limited the whole piece. Odd. And I'll work on Scorp's Spear.

@Gojira, Goro is looking sexy! I really like how you've changed his abs. XD

It's so funny, cuz the guy would realistically require two sets of pecs, wouldn't he? lolz

Jarvis, I just got your messages. I will get back to you tonight, right now I g2g.

Here's a little update for the team (and calacyte):

Wow, I just downloaded every single sound from the Original Arcade game....can't believe I found it. I'm sending this and the stage to you Interloko. The only thing missing is the music..I can't find that anywhere but on Youtube.

throne_room_HD.jpg

This is the final stage with all included comments. I think I'll take a crack at redrawing the fonts. I've got nothing better to do.

Throne Room - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vaxa81yndqx0boh

These stages are looking good!

Last edited:
@Mortal Gojira :hail: Great Goro :) Just needed to be fixed some proportions
Here I made a comparison between your 3D model and the original, classic Goro
goroz.jpg

And the proportions
goro1.jpg

I hope I was helpful

Okay so I've brought this up many times already and I know it's probably getting annoying by now, so it'll probably be the last time I bring it up.

Firstly, I'm not saying there was definitely any moonlight. But since the original looks rather bright and has no torches, if a light source could be attributed to it - the contrast of the wall and the ground, plus the overall tone of the stage itself, could be interpreted as being bathed in moonlight. That is an interpretation, I'm not saying it is fact, but I do feel it would give the Lair a similar look. Even on the quick example I did, you can see how it could work if it were done correctly. And really, if there's no torches, what else could be done to establish any mood for the stage?

Also does anyone actually know where the stage's intended location was in MK1? At the time MK1 was made?

You are using later games like MK4, MK:SM and MK:A as references, but do not acknowledge MK9's Lair which has gaps in the ceiling where moonlight is cast down from Courtyard. TBH though, none of those games should have any bearing on this project, I feel it's open to interpretation on how to match the tone of the stage in a natural way to its original version. Not only that, but in a natural way that does not conflict with the characters who need consistent lighting across the stage they'll be crossing. This was a limitation of the original too, I'm sure they could have had flames just like in Palace Gates, but they had to use the same sprite set that was used for daylit stages, so very dark environments would not have worked. It's almost amusing that by using a 2D engine, we still have the same problem in our HD remake because the same sprites need to be used for every stage.

Badmouse's previous version did look very good, but IMO it was too dark and had too much variation for the characters to match with it. Apart from making a faithful recreation, we need lighting that gives the stage a similar look to the original so that the sprites function with it correctly. If anyone has ideas on how to do that without moonlight, please share them, because I can't think of anything else. Hope everyone understands where I'm coming from on this.

Don't quote me on this but it almost seemed to me that the stages in the original where meant to go side by side. Although for Goro's Lair that would kind of be odd placement. They actually may not have thought of that back then as they weren't thinking three dimensionally in general.

Also there may be ceiling torches that are just out of view although one would need quite a few of those I guess to give the kind of uniform lighting the original game had. With holes there'd be mostly shafts of light streaming in unless you made a HUGE hole on the ceiling or something. Ceiling torches would give the warmer color the lighting had in the original.

Either way there'd still be more variation with any kind of naturalistic solution in my opinion. Although lights do tend to combine\mulitply so if you put enough ceiling torches it may be a close approximation.

But again much of the original look such as the lighting probably comes down to them probably not thinking so three dimensionally back then. They didn't even start using 3D rendering for the stages until MK3.

Justin, forgot to give you crit on the Scorp's spear. This is a tricky one. How I could interpret it is that the original is giving sound to the travelling spear tip as well as the rope, unlike in MK2 where it is giving sound to only on the rope. This is most evident when you compare the blocked spear - in MK1 it is very metallic, in MK2 it is still just the rope. TBH the original MK1 sound is...I don't want to say stupid, but it's definitely odd. Being so low in the mix in the original, maybe the devs came to that conclusion too.

Speaking of this I always preferred the sound effect for that in MK2 over the one in MK1... the one in MK1 always sounded to me more electronic and abstract comparatively speaking. However since the goal is to capture the character of the original I'd agree that combining the rope sound with a metallic sound is the best way to go.

@Mortal Gojira :hail: Great Goro :) Just needed to be fixed some proportions
Here I made a comparison between your 3D model and the original, classic Goro
goroz.jpg

And the proportions
goro1.jpg

I hope I was helpful

A problem here is the reference is leaning more forward as part of his victory pose and that makes it somewhat different than the 3D model that's being compared to it. If you looked at it from the side three dimensionally this would be even more apparent.

Now we're talking :)
Freeze & Hit are sounding great, just two things: the direction of the freeze is currently moving towards the left speaker, but since Sub may be using freeze from either side, it won't make sense if the sound is moving left while the iceball travels right. All projectile sounds will need to stay centered. Secondly, I think the Hit could use a touch more bass. For some reason though, it was clipping on the repetition. But anyway, good work again, keep it up.

One more thing.. all this talk about baking in stereo spatialization into the sound files... but how would that work if the engine is determining which side the sound is playing from relative to where the players are? I think more thought needs to be paid to how it'll sound in the game rather than how it sounds in your browser or in a media player.

Most games master all their sound in monoraul and let the engine do the work when it come to reverb\stereo panning\spatialization in other words... and I was told early on that MUGEN has stereo support such as that. Although I'm not sure about what kind of ambient effects such as reverb it supports. But it should have definable ambient by stage for the sound. Not in a three dimensional way mind you since there's no actual 3D walls but rather like a definable amount of reverb that the sounds receive on a certain level.

So the only thing that should be baked in is reverb type stuff. That is if the engine doesn't do that at runtime as well. I think it'd be worth knowing all the capabilities the engine has in regards to sound so you don't end up overdoing stuff. Like baking in reverb into the sound effects and having the engine add even more reverb to it.

BTW I think the above really only applies to the sound effects music should be mastered in stereo with your intended effects regardless.

Last edited:
@smoke.tetsu

Modern game's sound effects are mostly not mono, but are certainly mixed close to center to help with spacial placement. I will be doing the same, so that they will sound good wherever in the stereo field they originate in-game. As for actual spacial effects (ie. reverb, etc.) I'm not doing any. I am using light delay on some sounds, but they aren't meant to reflect any spacial placement.

OK well correction, all the game sound effects I personally have inspected have been mono and the engine handles the spatialization entirely especially for surround sound. And to me it doesn't make sense for a sound effect to be two channels and then have it mostly or entirely overridden when placed on a 5.1+ sound field although I realize MUGE does not support 5.1+ surround sound.

Although on the other hand this may vary by studio to studio. Also a sound file may have two channels but if both channels are completely equal as far as I'm concerned or a pro logic decoder is it's mono. ;)

Last edited:
OK well correction, all the game sound effects I personally have inspected have been mono and the engine handles the spatialization entirely especially for surround sound. And to me it doesn't make sense for a sound effect to be two channels and then have it mostly or entirely overridden when placed on a 5.1+ sound field although I realize MUGE does not support 5.1+ surround sound.

Although on the other hand this may vary by studio to studio.

Since it's especially easy to convert the sounds to mono, I'll keep that bit of my workflow the same for now. Once they get dropped into MUGEN, if the effects origin points are sounding ambiguous, I'll convert. No big.

I got the mirror problem for the turn animation fixed, that was kind of a pain but I found a way.

Basically I have two normal maps, one with the normal large wrinkles and another without, so a smoother surface. During the turn animation, I blend smoothly from one normal map to the other. The normal map is missing the major folds at the mirror frame, so I'm able to mirror the animation without having such an obvious flipping of the shadows.

We can have normal maps used in this way, to fake muscle contractions. It's easy to animate them, and you can focus on different parts of the model. On Goro or Jonny cage for example, you might see the abs flex when they are about to punch or during the idle stance while breathing.

Since it's especially easy to convert the sounds to mono, I'll keep that bit of my workflow the same for now. Once they get dropped into MUGEN, if the effects origin points are sounding ambiguous, I'll convert. No big.

Yeah at least as with other things it's easier to remove stuff than to add... and like I said it may be worth baking in some stereo reverb IF the engine does not provide that like how I was saying it should be definable by stage. But that's something one should check out in the engine's capabilities beforehand I say. I wouldn't be surprised if MUGEN did have those features though as it's mostly used to simulate games that had stuff like that as a feature with QSound and such.

Last edited:
No wait bleed sorry ! In mortal kombat 1, just a question bleed will you add regular combos? please men say yes, because it is shitty to just do a spear or freeze and do a upercut! you can have a 5 hit for each character and a 10 hit, it would be excelent. Mk1 and Mk2 where just boring because i cant just do my combinations with atacks like 2 punches, spear, roundhouse kick! You know what i am talking about! Just add a little sugar to the game, it wont change anything, trust me

[EDIT] to sub zero, Bleed listen, give him the ability to freeze two times, because if you freeze your enemy, if you freeze it again the freezed one will be you, and i dont realy like it at all do like your character but without clones

For the most part, you are right AntrAcsA. My model has smaller chest, torso, and head and longer legs. But tetsu also made a good point, the reference is leaning forward so his head and chest proportions are larger. I did do a quick mock up though with the 3d model being closer to the clay. Appreciate both you guys' help:

goro13.jpg

They are going to keep the gameplay exactly the same from all indications. But hey if you are truly good you can do more than just freeze or spear and uppercut. Especially with certain characters. MK1 practically invented juggles as well they are there. You just have to work harder at it.

In fact, 2 punches.. spear and round kick or uppercut has been a standard combo since the beginning.

They are going to keep the gameplay exactly the same from all indications. But hey if you are truly good you can do more than just freeze or spear and uppercut. Especially with certain characters. MK1 practically invented juggles as well they are there. You just have to work harder at it.

In fact, 2 punches.. spear and round kick or uppercut has been a standard combo since the beginning.

Yeah its true... but the sub zero fact is true too, because its just idiot being freezed if you freeze your oponent 2 times lol am i right?

Why dont you guys do the ending images with the text only, it will be quicker, you will just have to add the image later, do it and later show us the result with the hd screen and font :) thank you guys and sorry if i am putting you under pressure

Last edited by a moderator: