Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Goro is coming along great. Just out of curiosity, do you have anything planned for how to accomodate facial animation? It looks like it's all a solid mesh with no actual opening for the mouth which could potentially be problematic. I suppose there's no need for the teeth and insides of the mouth to be part of the same high poly mesh, it's certainly possible to piece it all together after the fact, but I just wanted to make sure it's not completely forgotten about. With this kind of resolution and level of detail I think some degree of facial animation is necessary to pull off a convincing look for the characters, and that kinda goes doubly for Goro who should be able to really growl and grimace.

Most of what I could've said about the Raiden model has been said already, but I'd just like to add one thing. Keep in mind what kind of fabric it is you're trying to recreate, and find as much relevant reference material as you can. The current model looks off partly because the size and shape of the creases, as well as how the clothes hang, just don't seem to reflect how clothes/fabric like that behave in real life. Martial arts uniforms are often made of very sturdy, thick material, which affects how they drape around a body and how/where it creases. Getting that part right is the key to creating a realistic and convincing depiction, much moreso than colour or texture.

That sturdy thick material would be cotton btw since Raiden's uniform is basically based on a gi although like Scorpion it's dressed up with other things like cloth wrapped around his forearms and ankles\calves a black sash around his waist, a straw coolie hat and a black hood\tunic underneath the white gi. I can't tell what kind of shoe he's wearing but it's probably some kind of martial arts shoe although not the sneaker kind.. more like the slip-on kind like these but in white: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/440884024/New_designs_martial_arts_shoes_for.html

Goro' Lair looks not bad, i just don't like red palette.

you can add moonlight coming from the top, that would create the same contrast in the background as in the original
Where did you see moon light in MK1? This stage placed under Throne Room in MK:Shaolin Monks.
For lighting better just add torches (like it was in MK4/MKA).

Thanks Le@n! i will.

about moon light i still thinking on it. The torch in my previews version was somthing to give life to the stage.

gl_v2.png

I know that is dark, and a group of members want it near to the arcade version so i change it.

Im working now in skeleton parts details and blood in the walls.

Appreciate all the nice words about Mr. Goro. Got a lot of help from you all as well. Definitely would not have came out like this without the great suggestions.

And yes, he does has a mouth cavity. The mesh was created to be ready for animation. For the expressions, I was thinking of blend shapes. Can have some amazing results if done properly. I'll try and mock up a quick example. Its been a while since I animated or even rigged, so will need some time to brush up.

Again, thanks everyone for your help:

goro11.jpg

Yeah i know because his foot wraps or whatever is it called arent finished yet xD but good luck goro is good looking for me, adding some dragon skin to his back and somethings later i can tell that i cannot do better

Goro' Lair looks not bad, i just don't like red palette.

Where did you see moon light in MK1? This stage placed under Throne Room in MK:Shaolin Monks.
For lighting better just add torches (like it was in MK4/MKA).

Okay so I've brought this up many times already and I know it's probably getting annoying by now, so it'll probably be the last time I bring it up.

Firstly, I'm not saying there was definitely any moonlight. But since the original looks rather bright and has no torches, if a light source could be attributed to it - the contrast of the wall and the ground, plus the overall tone of the stage itself, could be interpreted as being bathed in moonlight. That is an interpretation, I'm not saying it is fact, but I do feel it would give the Lair a similar look. Even on the quick example I did, you can see how it could work if it were done correctly. And really, if there's no torches, what else could be done to establish any mood for the stage?

Also does anyone actually know where the stage's intended location was in MK1? At the time MK1 was made?

You are using later games like MK4, MK:SM and MK:A as references, but do not acknowledge MK9's Lair which has gaps in the ceiling where moonlight is cast down from Courtyard. TBH though, none of those games should have any bearing on this project, I feel it's open to interpretation on how to match the tone of the stage in a natural way to its original version. Not only that, but in a natural way that does not conflict with the characters who need consistent lighting across the stage they'll be crossing. This was a limitation of the original too, I'm sure they could have had flames just like in Palace Gates, but they had to use the same sprite set that was used for daylit stages, so very dark environments would not have worked. It's almost amusing that by using a 2D engine, we still have the same problem in our HD remake because the same sprites need to be used for every stage.

Badmouse's previous version did look very good, but IMO it was too dark and had too much variation for the characters to match with it. Apart from making a faithful recreation, we need lighting that gives the stage a similar look to the original so that the sprites function with it correctly. If anyone has ideas on how to do that without moonlight, please share them, because I can't think of anything else. Hope everyone understands where I'm coming from on this.

Last edited:
Ok, here is another take on Sub Zero's Freeze and Freeze Hit sounds. I think this one is really good, personally. It does all that the original does just with added realism and quality.

I'd like to get this one done so I can move forward to another sound. Let me know what you guys think.

Original Sounds: http://www.mediafire.com/?2rmd0w2pfdxf38r

Updated Sounds: http://www.mediafire.com/?dxniclgcniawjfc

Also, here is the jump flip. I haven't heard much about it and would like to call it "done" as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7qvp3bff7rzpe9h

Now we're talking :)
Freeze & Hit are sounding great, just two things: the direction of the freeze is currently moving towards the left speaker, but since Sub may be using freeze from either side, it won't make sense if the sound is moving left while the iceball travels right. All projectile sounds will need to stay centered. Secondly, I think the Hit could use a touch more bass. For some reason though, it was clipping on the repetition. But anyway, good work again, keep it up.

Also, could you please PM me each individual sound in wav format once you complete it? In the highest sample rate and bit depth they're in. After I have them all, I can master it all together and make sure everything is nice and loud and consistent.

gledit.png

Colors still wrong, doesn't look like MK1 palette. xD

It was a very rough example to get an idea across, just as I said in my post. I spent literally a minute on it.

Appreciate all the nice words about Mr. Goro. Got a lot of help from you all as well. Definitely would not have came out like this without the great suggestions.

And yes, he does has a mouth cavity. The mesh was created to be ready for animation. For the expressions, I was thinking of blend shapes. Can have some amazing results if done properly. I'll try and mock up a quick example. Its been a while since I animated or even rigged, so will need some time to brush up.

Again, thanks everyone for your help:

goro11.jpg

Awesome man! ! Great Model out there ! Is the final gonna have his Muscles sharpen?

I use Zbrush 4 and Maya 2012
Oh! I recently installed Zbrush 4, I want to have it with , trying to do what calactyte is doing for the stages. . I'm still a 100% noob thou . .

Justin, forgot to give you crit on the Scorp's spear. This is a tricky one. How I could interpret it is that the original is giving sound to the travelling spear tip as well as the rope, unlike in MK2 where it is giving sound to only on the rope. This is most evident when you compare the blocked spear - in MK1 it is very metallic, in MK2 it is still just the rope. TBH the original MK1 sound is...I don't want to say stupid, but it's definitely odd. Being so low in the mix in the original, maybe the devs came to that conclusion too.

What you've currently got is on the right track I think, and is sort of similar to how I described it actually. IMO how you should improve it is firstly give the rope sound much more thickness, dial in more lows and dial back the highs. For the "spear tip" sound, I think experiment with a range of metallic samples for it, atm it reminds me more of a glockenspiel or something. This is just one of those things where it is difficult to rely on the original, and requires experimentation for the best result.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned yet,
but Goro's Lair is looking a bit too dark. It need a bit more moon light. Also the floor should have more green in it.. Badmouse please confirm when you download the files I PM'ed to you.

Thanks

I remade again Goro's Lair.

MK1_Goros_Lair_v2.jpg

shoot me...

Last edited: