Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Hi Gojira,

Use your Goro Model body as a base. He needs the foot bandages, and I'm not sure if he has the spots on his back. His face is off in my opinion. His eyes should be black. Is he missing the Sash and the YinYang symbol?

Sooooo, the Goro model I posted, does that work? Is that a good direction to go? I'm only asking since there seems to be a bit of confusing in regards to this guy

HD Goro should look exactly like the original model. With zBrush I think it's very possible to recreate that look but with less plastic like texturing.

fatality would be epic!!
Hah, good thing you brought that up MG, I was just about to ask about that now. i'll edit this post...
Edit: Just to avoid confusion, what are thoughts on how HD Goro should look. Should he have the same exact proportions or be a bit bulkier. How about the face... should it look closer to the later versions of goro seeing as how its been consistent?

Sorry, I'm an idiot. Also I guess I'm a double idiot because the full-size version I saved is barely big enough for you to make out the arrows, but I hope it's somewhat helpful at least.

templemodded.jpg

Well, like I said - calactyte is of course more than welcome to finish the stage and I'm sure it can and will look better than it does now. I don't know for a fact that me or anyone else could do a better job. However I do stand by my opinion that creating a consistent and realistic lighting (which is infinitely easier in 3D than doing it "manually" in 2D) will make for a markedly better looking end result.

My suggestion to Interloko is to not bother with character upgrades, unless there is nothing better to work on. Leave it for a future update to the game, and stick to the plan.

If there is enough time to waste, like waiting for another model to be created, do something extra. A little surprise here and there may bring some of that excitement we can't get from a direct translation.

I'm not entirely opposed to adding new stuff, but it shouldn't override the classic on the first pass.

There can always be an update with a bunch of crazy new ideas. I'd like to have a clean base done before that.

Last edited:
wow, i spent around 2 hours reading a lot of new posts here XD

for this game i like to see reptile just like in mk1
if we add any easter egg later it will be a surprise for sure, what's the point of having for example reptile doing his mk2 fatality as a secret if we announce it here. what's the secret then?

i haven't time this week to work on the project. my next step is finish some stuff in basic moves and change the graphic file.
i'll add all the mk1 (scaled) character's graphics and the animations. from this point i'll be adding Bleed's sprites to this, so we can try the basic moves etc even if we haven't the new graphics.

what are the minimum system requirements being aimed for with this project? I'm sure it's not that all computers would take ages to load up the sprites if they had the ideal amount. I mean most reletively recent computers load up games with a lot more resources involved pretty quickly.

Also if it took forever on any computer (which I would consider pretty fail on the engine makers part if they where unable to optimize it in any way). How would the Shang Tsung morphs work?

BTW, if they are using OpenGL rendering they could probably use texture compression if memory is an issue although I think most modern computers have enough RAM even from just GPU for this. That is of course unless one is aiming to make it playable on computers from say... 10 years ago or something.

i don't know about the minimum specs. right now the only thing i can say is: you need opengl 2.0 or higher

Ok I disagree. My vision, is to have the stages look like the old ones but HDified. I don't have the time, processing power or patience to do it all in one scene. I'd have to retopologize each and every object, export maps for Ambient Occlusion, Specular, Bump, Diffuse and so on for each and object. I'd need to do that because right now I have 1.2 million poly objects in the scene (after decimation, if you are familiar with zBrush) and 3ds Max would crash. Could I do that? Absolutely. And I could slave away trying to get the perfect realistic lighting across the entire scene. But early on *I* decided not to do that because it wouldn't stay true to the original. I decided not to do that because *I* don't have the processing power to render it. If that's the requirement or the standard you are expecting, then prepare to be disappointed. The objective is not incredible realism like a movie set. Sorry, it's not Mortal Kombat anymore then. It's something else entirely, a different game.

The original looks like a collage of imagery and so will this version. Yes the lighting is somewhat schizophrenic. But that's all part of the accepted cheesiness of the original. You are asking me to throw out 100s of hours worth of work to make the backgrounds have consistent lighting. Yet Bleeds characters will be lit one specific way which won't match any of my scene lighting at all, but for some reason that would be OK?

So now we're discussing creative direction. A friend of mine works in the Special FX industry, his level of skill and talent is mind blowing. His zBrush sculpts make the best of the work you've seen here look pedestrian (not meaning to offend anyone, but it's true.) He looked at my levels and said the same things you are saying. It's not that I don't see the lighting inconsistency, I'm actively and purposely ignoring them. I'm trying to light each object so that it stands out best. A lot of thought time and re-rendering goes into this. It was NEVER the objective to make these scenes look anything other than HD version of the original, which have inconsistent lighting.
Again, I think it's odd that you'd dismiss Bleeds characters lighting not matching my environments yet my environments need to have consistent lighting to look "correct" in your eyes.

So that's all I'll say on the subject. I won't argue this or stand trial. If you disagree, you are welcome to redo the stages as you see fit. Ultimately it's not up to me. It's up the community. This is the direction I've chosen to go for all the afore mentioned reasons. I think it's the "right" direction. I'm sorry if you disagree. I respect your opinion. Your portfolio, while not wildly impressive to me, does seem to indicate you know what you are talking about. So please don't misunderstand my response. You are technically correct in what you are saying, it's just that creatively I think we have different ideas about what the best direction to take this project is.

Sorry, I'm an idiot. Also I guess I'm a double idiot because the full-size version I saved is barely big enough for you to make out the arrows, but I hope it's somewhat helpful at least.

templemodded.jpg

Well, like I said - calactyte is of course more than welcome to finish the stage and I'm sure it can and will look better than it does now. I don't know for a fact that me or anyone else could do a better job. However I do stand by my opinion that creating a consistent and realistic lighting (which is infinitely easier in 3D than doing it "manually" in 2D) will make for a markedly better looking end result.

I just wanted to let you guys know I've been keeping up with this since the creation of the thread. You're all very devoted and admirable when it comes to doing all that has been done thus far. There's some very, very high-quality work being sent between those involved and the results are phenomenal, honestly. You should all be very proud of yourselves.

gororef2.png

What I love about his classic version, is that he looks like a brute. I don't really like his MK9 counterpart, I understand the direction they chose which was to make him more princely like his title implies, but I feel they lost all that was threatening about him. So it'd be great to see him the way he originally was.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted by jarvis653

Dude that picture is realy KINTARO men LULZ not goro but anyways, they are not going to make every detail of goro because he was a doll xD, if somebody have the doll could copie it...but i think mortal gojira's work is better

Just pointing something out I checked since I wanted to know which character it was. It's goro and they used goros mold for kintaro. This is from John Tobias "We were crunched for time on MKII, so Curt used the Goro mold for Kintaro. @K0MB4T helped out on MKII by doing all of Kintaro's animations!!"

calactyte it looks good to me bro.. keep up the good work. To untrained eyes it still looks sexy.

calactyte: I'm not really interested in arguing either - just sharing my thoughts, and I'm glad to see you post yours as well. Apologies if I came off as overty hostile or dismissive. We may have differing ideas of how things should (ideally) look, but that's OK. In fact I'd say it's bound to happen with a project like this, there's a bunch of people involved and everyone has their own set of ideas of what MK means to them, and what it should be. You seem to at least have been receptive to what I've had to say, and that's all I can ask for. I'm looking forward to seeing what your stage will look like when you're done with it.

Thanks Esc, I'd like to think it looks sexy because there is that hint of nostalgia in it which I'm actively seeking. It's a very fine creative line between realism and what looks best.

My nightmare would be for this to turn into Street Fighter:The Movie Arcade game. I'm sure everyone remember that abomination. Digitized actors and environments looked lifeless and dead.
It's ok for it to look like a game. It's ok for it to not look real. Reality is dull.

calactyte it looks good to me bro.. keep up the good work. To untrained eyes it still looks sexy.

@Jiggeh:

Absolutely, no hard feelings here at all. Although it's probably not reflected here on the forums, a lot of time, effort and planning goes into these stages. And as Bleed said before, you end up never feeling truly satisfied with the results. I've taught myself to walk away from my stuff and come back to it, or I'll end too subjective. It's easy to become too close to the source material to the point where you start to turn a blind eye to major design flaws that can sometimes be so apparent to others. But when people offer criticism here, in order for it to truly be constructive, they need to be aware of my creative philosophy. So I hope if nothing else, you can see why I made the decision I've made even if you don't agree with them. You guys keep me honest on the forum. Reminding me about what I can get away with and what I can't. Anyway, I'd love for you to get involved with making some characters. That's where the really hard work is. Between myself, SubZera and BadMouse, we've got all the stages covered. We also need some people who have a great understanding of animation for projectiles and fatality effects. Perhaps blood splat recreation even. Heck we need character portraits and test your might graphics yet as well. Still tons of work to be done and lots of ways to get involved with the project.

About the Goro model,

He's looks like he is coming along nicely. To me, one of the main things that always jumped out to me about Goro from MK1 was that I could never actually see his eyes. To me, it made him seem cold and emotionless, like some monster that completely inhabits death. It was a big part of his intimidation factor to me. So, yeah, please don't overlook this. It's something the MK team haven't gotten right with Goro since MK1 and it continually disappoints me.

Those aren't the correct style for this project anyway. They'd need so much modification that it'd be like redoing them from scratch basically. IMO those where official to MK vs DC or MK9 but not this project. I wouldn't post any more "found" models here to be honest. That's simply not what this project is about.

Also to be honest I think Bleed's Ninjas look better than even the classic skins for MK9. Those seem to have lower resolution diffuse\normal maps so the black under gi has less detail than bleeds and everything looks more plastic.... also Bleed's has more of a realistic tone\proportion than them. Although those classic skins do look good and are good enough for real time rendering on aging consoles.

Last edited: