Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

It's very good. Some stuff about the face doesn't look correct to me. He's missing the bandages around his feet. It's a great start, I think it can be improved.

Holy crap, this was when I was starting to get a hang of zbrush. And yeah, the face and belt, and for the most part the whole sculpt is largely unfinished. Did this for an anatomy study.

But anyway, I'm really looking forward to what you guys do with the other fighters. So far the dedication and talent that has been put into this project is unbelievable.

This is the continue theme, near completion
Not bad, but I can't say that it's better than Sub-Zera's remixes.

Personally I think it would be nice for him to be more of his own fleshed out character rather than just a combination of the two other ninjas.
Agree with you about Reptile, they also can add lower punch/kick. At least it will not change gameplay much.
There's also thing which I don't understand - why resolution wide. xD

Last edited:
So what happened man, weren't you going to make Goro at first? Part of the reason I joined this project is because I saw your work at the start.

Not bad, but I can't say that it's better than Sub-Zera's remixes.

It's unfinished, new sounds haven't been made for it yet. The composition is perfect as it is though.

Agree with you about Reptile, they also can add lower punch/kick. At least it will not change gameplay much.
There's also thing which I don't understand - why resolution wide. xD

My vote is for keeping the gameplay all the same, which means not updating Reptile to his MK2 counterpart. However...I think it would be a really cool surprise to give Reptile his Head Eat fatality. Fatalities have no effect on the gameplay afterall, so I think this could be a great easter egg.

Sounds good. I'm going to leave you guys to the music and stick with the sound effects.

Speaking of which, I'm posting download links for Sub Zero's freeze sounds and the Jump Flip sounds. Critiques are still welcome. Are there any sounds that are needed sooner than any others? If so I'll tackle those next.

Jump Flip - http://www.mediafire.com/?z7o8bro85tvv0dd
Freeze and Freeze Hit - http://www.mediafire.com/?ca3if718wk43wuu

I like your progress, here's some crit for you man.

Freeze - First thing I think you should do is give it more delay/reverb/fade, to give the illusion of the iceball covering distance as in the original. So basically just try to create it as if it was travelling towards the opponent away from you. Secondly, I think an added pick scrape, or perhaps an intake of breath in reverse, could be overlaid to benefit what you currently have.

Freeze hit - It sounds like you've got a kick and processed cymbal hit here. What I think you should do is change the tone of the kick, make it much more distinct, and with whatever sound you use for the second texture, take away any delay because the iceball is no longer travelling, it has hit the opponent and so the sound would stay in one place. Maybe try replacing the cymbal hit with a different sound too, experiment.

I haven't compared the flip sound yet, so I'll do that later and give you crit on it. In general though, try to make the sounds a bit meatier, because they sound fairly thin at the moment. It's getting there though, I'm keen to hear more.

Last edited:
So what happened man, weren't you going to make Goro at first? Part of the reason I joined this project is because I saw your work at the start.

First, that's pretty damn cool to hear you say that haha. But life got in the way. I was getting ready for my portfolio presentations and graduation, then a lot of crap hit me at once. From school, financial reasons, and personal crap, I went insane from stress. I would still love to help with this project, but I really do not want to flake out on you guys again. I can be a pretty unreliable person.

First, that's pretty damn cool to hear you say that haha. But life got in the way. I was getting ready for my portfolio presentations and graduation, then a lot of crap hit me at once. From school, financial reasons, and personal crap, I went insane from stress. I would still love to help with this project, but I really do not want to flake out on you guys again. I can be a pretty unreliable person.

If you do find time, I would love to see you get involved. I mean this project is going to take us a long while, so if during that time you can make room for it, a Goro model would be great since you've already touched on it.

My vote is for keeping the gameplay all the same, which means not updating Reptile to his MK2 counterpart. However...I think it would be a really cool surprise to give Reptile his Head Eat fatality. Fatalities have no effect on the gameplay afterall, so I think this could be a great easter egg.

That's why I said it could be made optional that way everyone's happy. His original moves would be there either way there's just be a few more (energy ball, spit and invisible) that could be switched to via an option. He's a secret character so it's not like it would fundamentally change the whole game for the worse or that it would affect two player games. It's not like his using all of sub-zero's and scorpions abilities has any basis in the games lore anyway. Also stylistically he'd still be a palette swap sharing 95% of the moves with the rest of the characters. Also again just if it's not too much trouble to do.

Also just because they do that doesn't mean they have to go down the slippery slope of adding in everything else like lower punch and lower kick. It's not all or nothing. Either slavishly sticking to how everything was or nothing. Many pages back I even suggested Ermac could be officially put in rather (my idea was that fighting him could be a reward for breaking diamond in test your might or something) than just be a bug that shows up every once in a long while. Although I would settle for Reptile just optionally having his own moves.

Those are things that I though of that I think they would have done had they had the chance\opportunity\didn't have the kind of restrictions (RAM, etc.) they had. If I have to I guess I'd settle for him just having his head eating fatality but I just thought it'd be interesting or make the game feel more complete like they had more time to work on it and didn't just slap the same special moves and fatalities onto him as the other ninjas have. Like they went back and did a new special edition revision. Just like the premise that this is what they would have made if they had HD tech back then.

Last edited:
I agree with smoke.testu's idea. It'll just be an option that can be changed on or off. Fighting Reptile back when MK1 first arrived was a surprise. It wouldnt necessarily have the same effect now, so I think adding the energy ball, spit, and invisibility kind of brings back that "surprise" factor. Maybe it'll be on by default then once you fight reptile you have the option of keeping it original? Or visa versa.

My vote is for keeping the gameplay all the same
It's hidden character and unplayable in MK1 anyways. And gameplay can't be same already, because you changed X-resolution (MK physic depend on it).

that could be switched to via an option
Not in MUGEN. There's no way to make options for special moves (can be switched only during round).

The composition is perfect as it is though.
Composition yes, sound isn't very.

That's why I said it could be made optional that way everyone's happy. His original moves would be there either way there's just be a few more (energy ball, spit and invisible) that could be switched to via an option. He's a secret character so it's not like it would fundamentally change the whole game for the worse or that it would affect two player games. It's not like his using all of sub-zero's and scorpions abilities has any basis in the games lore anyway. Also stylistically he'd still be a palette swap sharing 95% of the moves with the rest of the characters. Also again just if it's not too much trouble to do.

Also just because they do that doesn't mean they have to go down the slippery slope of adding in everything else like lower punch and lower kick. It's not all or nothing. Either slavishly sticking to how everything was or nothing. Many pages back I even suggested Ermac could be officially put in rather than just be a bug that shows up every once in a long while. Although I would settle for Reptile just optionally having his own moves.

Those are things that I though of that I think they would have done had they had the chance\opportunity\didn't have the kind of restrictions (RAM, etc.) they had.

Reptile having Scorp and Sub's moves is just part of the charm really. The devs of MK9 acknowledged that too, which is why the MK9 hidden Reptile has the Scorp/Sub moveset. It's how he is remembered in MK1, so it makes sense that he should be preserved that way, no matter how simple. The amount of moves should remain the same as well, for instance Shang Tsung - also an NPC and wouldn't affect 2 player games, has only a fireball attack of his own. But that's the way he is, and I don't feel he should be changed either. If you give Reptile double the moves he already has, it just makes the game inconsistent.

As for Ermac, well he never actually appeared, ever. There was no bug in the first place, it was all BS. But I won't say I'm outright against adding him in somehow, in a super secret way. I don't know, that's a grey area for me.

It's hidden character and unplayable in MK1 anyways. And gameplay can't be same already, because you changed X-resolution (MK physic depend on it).

Not in MUGEN. There's no way to make options for special moves (can be switched only during round).

I agree with the first part... as for the second part that's unfortunate. Again I guess if I had to I'd settle for just the fatality although to be honest I feel like him just using the other ninjas moves is cutting corners that needn't be cut and that again his having all their powers has no basis in the story.

Also he wouldn't have double the moves he wouldn't have Scorpion and Sub-zeros. :p

IMO Shang Tsung was the way he was because in the story he was old as a punishment for losing previously to Kung Lao so when he was in his original form his moves where limited and he had to switch to other fighters forms to fight properly and could only throw souls in his normal form. That has more of a basis in the story in my opinion.

I can see what you are saying jarvis and that you are totally against it but I just feel different. This is a remake as well after all and true purists wont want it anyway to be frank. Some people feel the same about it being widescreen as you feel about that.

If you added in Ermac he'd either need his own moves or be yet another character who shares moves with Scorpion or Sub-Zero.

Last edited:
Guys, I want to ask you because I did not follow with developments on MUGEN ,but is it possible that HD remix to be played online? Even local,lan multiplayer, with Hamachi that can connect and online. Is it possible?

Well I know Interloko is still doing his best to reproduce the MK1 gameplay, despite the added width. So with that in mind, that is enough of a change to the game to warrant everything else staying as accurate as possible. If we start changing other things, adding in extra moves, it will change it entirely. It's just a graphics/audio update, not a re-imagining. I feel we have to draw the line between the two when it comes to this area of the project.

I agree with the first part... as for the second part that's unfortunate. Again I guess if I had to I'd settle for just the fatality although to be honest I feel like him just using the other ninjas moves is cutting corners that needn't be cut and that again his having all their powers has no basis in the story.

Also he wouldn't have double the moves he wouldn't have Scorpion and Sub-zeros. :p

IMO Shang Tsung was the way he was because in the story he was old as a punishment for losing previously to Kung Lao so when he was in his original form his moves where limited and he had to switch to other fighters forms to fight properly and could only throw souls in his normal form. That has more of a basis in the story in my opinion.

I can see what you are saying jarvis but I just feel different. This is a remake as well after all and true purists wont want it anyway to be frank.

Well it's not being made for true purists, it's being made for us and fans of the classics in general. You don't have to be a true purist to still want an accurate remake - take me as the example, I definitely want this made and also care about it staying true to MK1.

About Reptile, my mistake, I thought you wanted new moves along with his old ones. I would still prefer him to stay the same as he is in MK1 though.