Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Wow nice work The Grid, this tune forced a smile out of me.

If the sound has passed critique, it moves on to Interloko for implementation in to the engine.

;------------------------------------------

I'm not making my stuff perfect either, one because my skill level isn't to that extreme, and two because I don't want this to become tiresome. I make it as good as I can within that scope, and I project that concept on to any member. Make it as faithful as you can but don't let it take the fun out of your experience.

What happens when these projects become like work, is they start to fall apart.

Basically have a clear direction but don't be so militant about it.

Last edited:
Heckkk yea! Good stuff The Grid. As for music... I think average music can pass, but no one will really notice or remember it. But when the music is taken up a level it makes the game cohesive and the experience much better, and the music The Grid provided does that. Cool.

I'm not making my stuff perfect either, one because my skill level isn't to that extreme, and two because I don't want this to become tiresome. I make it as good as I can within that scope, and I project that concept on to any member. Make it as faithful as you can but don't let it take the fun out of your experience.

What happens when these projects become like work, is they start to fall apart.

Basically have a clear direction but don't be so militant about it.

I know what you mean, but your stuff is just outstanding, and I'd like the music to be on par with that. Like I said, I'm in it for the long haul, believe me when I say it. It's not the first long-term project I've been involved in. I want to make this something really special, so whatever I am doing for it, I will do my best with the time I have. Having said that, if I feel like it's always an uphill battle, I will simply finish the duties I have and leave you guys to it. The last thing I want to do is interfere with progress, it's just that I really care about what we do here and so I want it to reach the highest level of quality it can (within reason, all things considered). You could say my expectations are too high, but I don't think they are because I feel everyone involved is very capable, and you guys may find you surpass your own expectations.

Last edited:
It's very good. Some stuff about the face doesn't look correct to me. He's missing the bandages around his feet. It's a great start, I think it can be improved.

This goro that i found in this forum is kick ass ^^
goro_color_test_by_sankart-d32czez.jpg

All credit go for Mortal_Gojira
PS(THIS GORO IS REALY THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN)
The only thing i would edit is his belt because is white, i would put the original Yin-Yang emblem ;)

So I want to speak a bit about the music.

Firstly, I think people misunderstood me when I said something about not needing further contributions. I want to clarify again that I was speaking only in regards to the project I am working on with Grid, since he has a lot done and I'm satisfied with the efforts he is making. That doesn't mean I wish to stop anyone from contributing their own music here. Of course I don't, anyone is welcome to show whatever they have. I simply meant I don't need another composer for my own project.

Now the direction I have in mind -
It seems to me that people are not really sure about what to do with the music remixes. I'd like to explain my personal vision for it. Basically, I feel we need to set the bar high. When it comes to the characters, stages, and anything else graphics-related, we are really focusing on making the best possible result. There is a lot of discussion and a lot of criticism to ensure that. Now if you have a deep appreciation for audio as I do, you should agree that it isn't fair for the graphics to get most of the attention and for the audio to always come second. IMO, it deserves an equal amount of effort. It should be considered as a big job, not something thrown together, and it concerns me that more people don't see it that way.

I want to give an example of the level of dedication that these music remakes should match. It has nothing to do with our style, it's very cheesy, but it's also an excellent example of accurate music reproduction. It's by an artist called Tee Lopes, and is being used for the Sonic 2 HD remix. If you compare these to the originals, they are damn near identical. If the Sonic 2 music had been originally done today, it would probably sound just like this:

That is the kind of goal we need to set and reach, for accuracy and quality. Now the reason why midi compositions are the best method to work with for this project, is because they can always be changed. New tones for the instruments can always be made. However, if you physically record something, especially if it's already processed, you limit yourself in the freedom you have with it in production. Consequently, this creates difficulty in keeping all the music consistent in style and quality. Just as efforts are being made to keep all the graphics consistent in style and quality, the audio should be treated the same. Therefore, music that is physically recorded in its entirety, and already processed, is not ideal.

If we continue working with midi, and I'm allowed to help with production duties, I can ensure that the result will be consistent and faithful to the original. I need to stress that if the graphics for this project are remaining as true to the original as possible, then the audio should follow that direction. Which is not a re-imagining, just a huge upgrade in quality. Plugins/tones that are similar to the original sounds, either as a texture or an instrument, will need to be carefully created/selected, so that the integrity of the original music is kept. I feel that since it was created in the 90s, it should reflect the 90s.

I am fully dedicated to this project, and will do my best to see it through to the end in its best possible form. If our own production efforts are not enough, I will even outsource the final music to a professional studio for final mixing and mastering. I've waited so long for an opportunity to do this, as I'm sure you all have, so let's realize this to its fullest potential.

I am keen to hear all your thoughts on this.

Personally, I'd rather hear the original tunes being played by a real orchestra with the real instruments than a re-creation of a 16-bit computer's imitation of said instuments.

I mean, With the graphics, you guys are adding plenty of texture and detail to create a real-life effect. Essentially, your creating what the MK team wish they could have, had they the technology. Since these strides are being made to inject realism into the old game's style, I don't see why you would want to replicate the original music so closely to the original. As I said, why would you throw away an orchestra for a computer's imitation at an orchestra?

I realize I don't have much stake in this project, only that I have wanted an update to the original MK that I've loved since I was a child. I'm not one of the guys that is making the decisions. But in my personal version, I've always wanted to see an MK made with modern tech from the ground up, and was extremely disappointed with the simple repackaging of the original games in the Arcade Kollection.

Basically, my opinion as far as the audio goes is that I'd like it to stay close to the original, but update where possible, just like Bleed and the others are doing with the graphics.

Mmmm... I see the flaws in my work more, like you do with audio. When I look at my work I can tell it can be much better, I just can't reach that level yet.

What looks bad to me looks fine to others..., like when I think it was you who said. Sub Zera's tracks were too low quality, yet they sound perfect to my ears.

Basically, my opinion as far as the audio goes is that I'd like it to stay close to the original, but update where possible, just like Bleed and the others are doing with the graphics.

This is correct. But the rest of what you're saying is kind of a misunderstanding of what I've written. Perhaps I didn't explain it well enough, and I'm probably coming across as much more militant than I actually am towards this. It's all within reason, I simply mean the sounds should resemble the original, either as texture or as the instrument the original is trying to imitate. That is an artistic choice, and either can work.

As far as working with midi, it's just far easier to get good results. Physical recordings that are not made in a pro studio environment, by a pro studio engineer, generally lack the quality that such a place and engineer can give the production. With midi the tones are also non-permanent, can always be totally replaced or tweaked and tweaked to perfection. So it's the most ideal method IMO.

I personally thought that SubZera's music sounded a bit muted as well. Also a bit too electronic. It didn't sound like an improvement but rather a remix of a track made as though it were 1992. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if it's not improved, then I don't see the reason to remake the music at all. The continue music is an improvement from the original in that it actually sound like real instruments. Great work Grid!

Mmmm... I see the flaws in my work more, like you do with audio. When I look at my work I can tell it can be much better, I just can't reach that level yet.

What looks bad to me looks fine to others..., like when I think it was you who said. Sub Zera's tracks were too low quality, yet they sound perfect to my ears.

Would be awesome if you guys worked together on each track. I love the realistic drum sounds from your version Justin, but the melody is off compared to Grid's. Grids in nearly perfect to me but with Justin's percussion sounds, it could be even better.

Sounds good, mate!

I just had a thought, would you want me to do the percussion for you? I think with your arcadey melodies and my realistic percussion it would make for a cool hybrid sound. The rest of the guys don't seem to care for my realistic-sounding approach. Anyway, it's cool if you'd rather not. Twas just a thought.

Also, I've made the standard jump flip sound. Should I just hold onto it or send it to someone?

Well the reason being is that I don't have the experience in character modeling to offer very viable criticism. And please don't take this the wrong way, but on your end you may not have the experience that I have with audio to know just how good it can get. At the end of the day, I'm just asking for a bit of trust for the music. But I think that you are underestimating yourself too, everyone who has seen it considers it incredible work, as do I.

Also, Sub-Zera's, for the most part, were unfortunately from the Genesis version, and borrowed compositions from the same guy who is already working on this project.

Of course, a trained eye will spot something invisible to others.

I can say what I like or don't like, but the audio designers have a higher understanding.

I understand where your coming from, Jarvis. I do. I'm a semi professional film composer, and I'm working with midi much of the time. Keeping things editable is always helpful. I think a big problem I've had with the other music submissions is that they have sounded a bit lifeless and digital.

My biggest thing, I think is the percussion. I think the percussion especially should be as real sounding as possible to create a true sense of grandeur worthy of Shang Tsung's island of death. If you like, I can create the percussion with my midi plugins on my end and you guys can handle the rest of the instrumentation. Just a thought.

Thanks calactyte! Glad you liked it. Was everyone ok with SubZero's Freeze sounds I posted?

I understand where your coming from, Jarvis. I do. I'm a semi professional film composer, and I'm working with midi much of the time. Keeping things editable is always helpful. I think a big problem I've had with the other music submissions is that they have sounded a bit lifeless and digital.

My biggest thing, I think is the percussion. I think the percussion especially should be as real sounding as possible to create a true sense of grandeur worthy of Shang Tsung's island of death. If you like, I can create the percussion with my midi plugins on my end and you guys can handle the rest of the instrumentation. Just a thought.

Thanks calactyte! Glad you liked it. Was everyone ok with SubZero's Freeze sounds I posted?

I'm glad you can see what I mean. As for percussion, consider it covered. I've got Superior 2.0 and Toontrack drum packs, which I've worked with to 100% success on every production I've done. It's as realistic as it gets, all sequences are humanized with random velocities of hits. Of course once I post results, and you feel you could do a better job, feel free to experiment.

You know, Bleed may say his work isn't at the extreme level of skill.. yet as far as I'm concerned his work has been setting the bar for this project. I look at his Ninja sprites and flip back and forth between the old sprites and they look a hell of a lot better and much like an HD remix should look. They go well with the look and feel without making it cheesy looking which is a trap that can easily be fallen into. Much of the cheesyness of the cheap costumes used back then was covered up by the low resolution of the game.

I just hope the rest of the characters can be made to the same level as his ninja sprites. Same thing with everything else.. if everyone can make things to the same level as those sprites the project is on the right track.

Last edited:
Of course, a trained eye will spot something invisible to others.

An excellent way of putting it. I know the feeling you must have too, that your work could be better - I'm the same, and however hard I can seem on people's work here, I can be so much harder on my own. Don't get me wrong, all of you guys are doing great work, and I want the progress to remain as fun as it is while still getting the best out of it. I'm still finding my feet when it comes to criticism and whatnot, but just bear with me, I'm not as anal as I can come across especially in writing. I'd actually prefer if we could have a talk about this project sometime with our voices instead of text.

Also I agree with smoke.tetsu up there ^

I'm glad you can see what I mean. As for percussion, consider it covered. I've got Superior 2.0 and Toontrack drum packs, which I've worked with to 100% success on every production I've done. It's as realistic as it gets, all sequences are humanized with random velocities of hits. Of course once I post results, and you feel you could do a better job, feel free to experiment.

Sounds good. I'm going to leave you guys to the music and stick with the sound effects.

Speaking of which, I'm posting download links for Sub Zero's freeze sounds and the Jump Flip sounds. Critiques are still welcome. Are there any sounds that are needed sooner than any others? If so I'll tackle those next.

Jump Flip - http://www.mediafire.com/?z7o8bro85tvv0dd
Freeze and Freeze Hit - http://www.mediafire.com/?ca3if718wk43wuu