Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

This remake is looking incredible.

I understand why you can't charge for this project; if you could, I'd gladly pay for this over MKAK.
Thanks.
If they make a real arcade perfect port is a very good buy even in SD ;)

@calactyte: in mugen you can specify a diferent shadow for every stage, it's in the definition file of the stage. but with character's shadow you can't make the same parallax effect to the shadow as we can make in the stage itself

@Justin Slaughter: about the ice sounds if you ask me i like more the original sounds (but sound more clean) than the posted examples

Guys, some time ago in a post I found rates,percentage of progress of the project and credits the people who work on it! I can not find it, but some moderator must to engage and put it on the first page, or someone of the team who worked on the project to create your own topic where to be updated.

Last edited:
with character's shadow you can't make the same
Calactyte care about parallax much, despite fact that it isn't exist in MK1.) Parallax for the floor and few effects should be enough..

@Justin, had a listen, sounds like you ran a pick slide through a flanger and other effects, correct? Cool idea (no pun intended).

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts, however we will need higher quality and a closer representation. As a guideline, do your best to look past the original sound's limitations, and focus only on the texture and what it'd sound like had it been recorded with modern tech. Just as if you were remaking a graphic to the higher res that this project affords - you want to keep it as recognizable as you can, just with added detail. It's the same with sound, but instead of more pixels, it's more range.

When it comes to this area of the project, people can be very sensitive to changes in the sounds they know and love, so that needs to be respected above all. Ideally, we don't want them to notice much difference except the spike in quality. Hope that makes sense. Like I said, take your time and make something you're 100% happy with, then post it for feedback so we can break it all down and figure out what works and what doesn't. Look forward to hearing more.

Also, may I ask what your recording workflow is?

Last edited:
Guys, some time ago in a post I found rates,percentage of progress of the project and credits the people who work on it! I can not find it, but some moderator must to engage and put it on the first page, or someone of the team who worked on the project to create your own topic where to be updated.

Doesn't really matter to me personally, I don't think percentages should be paid much attention at this point. AFAIK there's not a lot finalized yet, things are always getting changed and I think will continue to change for a long time. At least for now, it's better IMO to just keep working and not focus on the details. It's been fun and productive, wouldn't want to change that mentality.

People who are contributing / have contributed / will contribute to this project:
Characters - Bleed, Demonseed
Stages - Calactyte, Badmouse, Sub-Zera
Programming - Interloko
UI - Jarvis, Calactyte
Music - Grid, Jarvis
Sounds / Voices - Justin, Jarvis, Grid

Forgive me for referring to myself in third person. Hope I didn't leave anyone out. Of course there's also more people responsible for the progress of the work than just the people creating it, we've received a lot of benefical feedback/discussion, so I'd like to acknowledge everyone who comes here on the forums and offers their criticism and support. Thanks so much guys.

Last edited:
U forgot to add me into "Music" ;)

I wasn't aware you're doing any music, but as I've said, we've got it all mostly composed already, so we don't really need more contributions at this point. But I'll definitely keep you in mind in case anything happens.

I said I created all MK1 musics in the very beginning of this thread:) But it's OK:) Is it possible to hear your editions somehow?

I wasn't aware you're doing any music, but as I've said, we've got it all mostly composed already, so we don't really need more contributions at this point. But I'll definitely keep you in mind in case anything happens.
I really don't like what I'm reading here..
We are working on a team, who said we will use yours instead Sub-Zera's?
Remember what happen with Badmouse UI? we had all the UI already done and the team vote for yours like a more accurate version and finally we will use yours...
Now let us heard your music and then the whole team decide to use yours or Sub-Zera's. Personally i really like some of her music.

Calactyte care about parallax much, despite fact that it isn't exist in MK1.) Parallax for the floor and few effects should be enough..

Yes I care about the shadows. It's important to me since they are present in the other stages.

I really don't like what I'm reading here..
We are working on a team, who said we will use yours instead Sub-Zera's?
Remember what happen with Badmouse UI? we had all the UI already done and the team vote for yours like a more accurate version and finally we will use yours...
Now let us heard your music and then the whole team decide to use yours or Sub-Zera's. Personally i really like some of her music.

No I didn't mean for the project, I mean I don't need any more contributions for the music I am working on with Grid. If Sub-Zera wants to make her own music in case everyone likes her versions better, I have no problem with that.

Also the music won't be ready for you to listen to for a while, it is still raw midi compositions without any production. Grid is still composing but as soon as we start processing it and have a track produced, I will post it.

Here are MK1 musics I made. I don't want these files to be stolen, so, they will be available only 12 hours. If you like them, just let us know:)

MK1 Theme (Character Select): http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/960710/
The Beginning: http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/961082/
Palace Gates: http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/961081/
Warrior Shrine: http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/961083/
Goro's Lair: http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/961080/
The Pit: http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/961084/
Sakura Garden (not sure you need this music, but who knows:) This is my remix of Nes 8-bit stage MK1 music): http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/961085/

Okay so I had a listen Sub-Zera, and while the MK1 Theme is very nice, overall the tracks simply aren't high quality enough. There are other problems too. Warrior Shrine, The Pit, and Goro's Lair are all from the Sega Genesis version, not Arcade which is the version we are remaking.

Also, The Beginning - did you compose this? Because it sounds identical to The Grid AKA Zerobeats (who I am working with) 2003 composition on vgmusic: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/other/miscellaneous/arcade/mk1_continue1_zb.mid

Last edited:
Time for a bit of crit -

Firstly, I am loving your progress on it, it looks fantastic. But I feel some improvements can still be made.

Size -
When matching up from the bottom of path to the fence with the original, it appears that your buddha and flags are too large, as well as the backdrop consisting of temple and trees. This may still be affecting the illusion of the guards in some way. If you can easily resize those parts of the stage, maybe try it and see how it looks.

Color -
Currently the sky (which matches the original) suggests a bright sunlit day, but the tone of everything else looks like its from an overcast day. I figure an image is better than explaining it all to you, so here is a rough version of how I imagine the stage should kind of be:

pgedit.png

It's just a quick example, but I think its closer to how it'd look in the sunlit environment that it's supposed to be. The trickiest part is the ground and shadows, the only way I could properly edit it is if I had the PSD, but I guess this still helps to get a point across.

But anyway, the ultimate decider of the time of day/contrast is the lighting of the characters IMO. That should be the priority. Unless different sprite sets of lighting are going to be used - but I assume that's not the case now. So Bleed and all you guys doing the stages should try to find a good balance between character lighting that matches every stage (good enough), while still trying to preserve the tone of the originals somewhat. I don't think it'd be fair for either Bleed or the stage makers to have to change the lighting on all their work after it was finalized, simply because a balance for the lighting wasn't figured out earlier on and created problems later. So it'd be good to discuss this now I think.

One final thing, about the flags. Firstly, I'd personally like to see the dragons on the original flags redrawn. These ones, while more detailed, are very different and look out of place to me. The color of the flag itself doesn't look right to me either.

Okay, that's pretty much all I can think of. I don't know how much of it I'm correct about, but thought I'd put it out there anyway.

I prefer this color scheme . . I love the atmosphere, and indeed it is really close to original arcade . .

I have After Effects, but I hardly ever use it. I'm not sure if I have the plugin, but you can try with one of these .gif animations.

I can separate the frames but if you have photoshop, it's easy to do.

You open the .gif animation and it should create the separate layers automatically. Now go to File>Scripts>Export Layers to files.

If you don't have this option, let me know and I'll gladly do it for you.

lol! I was thinking about the CC motion blur preset in AE . . You know, the ones used to blur an object in motion . .

I only use AE to convert video files, so I don't know what filers and stuff it has. I do that stuff in Photoshop or Max.

I think that somebody could do a quick preview of the character select screen only with sub zero and scorpion...and something i have to ask, wich device will this be launched for? MaMe? PSX? PSP? Nintendo Ds? or just for mugen? Because i dont think that mugen can support the test your might mode :( Anyways i think this work is very creative... i dont think ed boon could do better because this is just from another "world" and thanks you are bringing back my MK DAYS memories :D (PS: SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH)

Last edited:
Now is only for mugen.
maybe later someone else can make it using a 3D fighting engine and make justice to the 3D artists.
limit the frames in animations is one of the "problems" using mugen, but TYM is not ;)

I don't know about all of mugen's limitations, but I'm sure that we'll still be able to have an excellent result with this engine.

And for the best possible experience IMO (providing you have the money) make your own MK1 HD cab to play it on. That's what I'll be doing once this is complete. It will be spectacular.

Yeah, Test Your Might and Morphs already were done in MK1 by interloko..

limit the frames in animations
Never knew about that, only can say it has limit in explods/helpers.)

I so want to do that!!

I don't know about all of mugen's limitations, but I'm sure that we'll still be able to have an excellent result with this engine.

And for the best possible experience IMO (providing you have the money) make your own MK1 HD cab to play it on. That's what I'll be doing once this is complete. It will be spectacular.