Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Really good job, but .. sky, the color of the sky I did not like, do not look natural. The shadows of statue and trees are too strong, sharp, but there is no sun, does not look right :)
Maybe if sky is something like this twilight
607980_sunny_sky.jpg

will be better ?

Agree, try this. And good work again, calactyte:) Maybe, shadows on the ground must be a bit blury? don't u think? The rest is just fine:)

I noticed that too. I like the shadows to just be the way they were in the arcade, just not so dark. It's okay to assume that there is a keylight coming from the camera's perspective which might cast shadows that way. Just my opinion on it though.

I got a thought here looking at the stage... the shadows. In the original the shadows for the characters where in back of them but on the remake all the shadows seem to be in the front. I'm guessing the shadow angle is going to be changed wholesale now?

In Bleed's test video the shadows where in the front for the characters too as well but I chalked that down to him just doing a test.

The shadows wouldn't be blurry unless it was a really cloud day, so yes it certainly could be blurrier shadows. I'll make a version with blurry shadows to see the result. Hmm..not sure about color variation in the sky. As it is right now, it's exactly like the arcade. If I do you a sky image like the above image, I'd need to color correct it so that original arcade sky color is the base.

The shadows wouldn't be blurry unless it was a really cloud day, so yes it certainly could be blurrier shadows. I'll make a version with blurry shadows to see the result. Hmm..not sure about color variation in the sky. As it is right now, it's exactly like the arcade. If I do you a sky image like the above image, I'd need to color correct it so that original arcade sky color is the base.

Yes, i know that color is from original game but i dont like in original version too, is look bad :) I remember Sega Genesis version, sky was simple hilarious .
77377727.jpg

If you want to keep the original look of the game, OK, I understand.

Hi, I created this stage: http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=124880.0
So, if I can still be of help, let me know.

About the shrine, I have some suggestions:
. The light source could be on the view camera, so the statue and tree shadows are not at the floor.
. The stone wall on the right, next to the door, should be a little pink, like the original, to simulate light bounce.
. The lightning on the temples (3?) doesn't seem to match the rest of the stage.
. I like the floor, but it deviates from the original.

About the sky, I really like the way it is (close to the arcade), especially the clouds. I don't think it should be changed.

Edit:
. There is a hole on the statue's robe, on the right. Both of them. If you take a look at the arcade sprite, it's a thick robe.
. Buda's hands are kind of strage.

Last edited:
Hi, I created this stage: http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=124880.0
So, if I can still be of help, let me know.

About the shrine, I have some suggestions:
. The light source could be on the view camera, so the statue and tree shadows are not at the floor.
. The stone wall on the right, next to the door, should be a little pink, like the original, to simulate light bounce.
. The lightning on the temples (3?) doesn't seem to match the rest of the stage.
. I like the floor, but it deviates from the original.

About the sky, I really like the way it is (close to the arcade), especially the clouds. I don't think it should be changed.

Dude... the stage ...Oo Look amazing .. Well done. Who made Shang Tsung and Kung Lao ?

I wouldn't suggest trying to emulate any aspect about the console versions most of which where due to the limitations of those consoles. :p

Palace Gates is looking sick. lol, Calactyte seems to have a thing for cracks... lmao jk. The only complaint I have about it is the fact that the stone structure looks a bit too clean. On the original theres some color variation... it looks like some stains. Not that I'm 100 percent for it looking like the original but I think having those tone variations make it look more realistic rather than computer generated. Besides that, its the best looking stage so far!

Looking at the original screenshot posted elsewhere I noticed the in the remake the symbols lack the lines between the symbols. Also the pac-man symbols are supposed to start with the second symbol not the first as in the remake.

Also I think others have said it so I'm going to agree with them that the shadows should be made lighter and perhaps a little more blurry kind of like what was done with the throne room... especially if the character shadows are going to be cast in the same direction as in the original.

Yeah I would need to rebuild the entire building to fix the lines and the position of pac-man. It's not on my high priority list of things to do. I can look at faking it in PhotoShop but I'm not sure how that would look.

Looking at the original screenshot posted elsewhere I noticed the in the remake the symbols lack the lines between the symbols. Also the pac-man symbols are supposed to start with the second symbol not the first as in the remake.

Also I think others have said it so I'm going to agree with them that the shadows should be made lighter and perhaps a little more blurry kind of like what was done with the throne room... especially if the character shadows are going to be cast in the same direction as in the original.

Ok, fixed alot of things,

-added texture to foreground stone elements
-darkened background floor coloring to brownish color
-added pink highlight to door frame
-softened and lightened shadows

and a few other things I can't remember right now. I've got to get some sleep.

TEMPLE_SHRINE_SHOW_B.jpg

hah, nice, those changes made a big difference. the soft shadows were a nice touch. these stages just keep looking better and better. Also, I'll see if I post the WIP on the Sonya model in the next few days. Bleed set the standard high with Scorpion, so I'll keep working on it until it reaches that level. Though I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of the original Sonya costume design, lol,... but its going to be the same unless people offer some suggestions.

Yeah it probably would need remodeling because it seems to me in order to make it segmented like the original you might have to make the symbols slightly smaller so they fit in the same width but with lines in between.

Otherwise I'm liking how it's turning out especially with the latest update.

Awesome, can't wait to see how Sonya comes out.

I made the standing turn instead of the block today. I'm smoothing out some parts but it's almost ready.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while and am thoroughly impressed by all your work.

I'm not sure what you guys have going on as far as composers go but if possible I'd like to offer my services. It would be awesome to help make this game as good as the concept deserves.

I am going to post my version of the "Character Select Theme" and you guys can decide if you want to use it. Everything in it is totally new and done by me. Let me know what you guys think and if you'd like me to tackle anything else.

Thanks

http://snack.to/oypHrH

k, time for critique

I may have to do some post work in Photoshop to try and blend the animations. If not, there will be a snap when he plays the stance animation, because the normal map and model is mirrored.

MK1_Scorp_StandTurn.gif

I really like the background, the melody threw me off but after a while I got used to it.

I don't think there's much to do with music though, sounds like most of it has already been taken care of.

Last edited:
Scorpions trying out for Dancing with the Stars? lol. Animation looks great. I notice on his left shoulder near the end of the animation, it looks like the vest twitches twice. Though it might not be noticeable in game, still worth a mention.
edit: oops, just did a frame by frame, its actually just once. When his arm is in the last pose the vest lifts up for one frame then goes back into the default position.

Palace Gates looks much better now, just think that shadows aren't really need. And you can make statues' faces with more serious expression.)

I noticed is that the red railings along the back wall are missing
You right, they aren't exist..

Last edited: