Thread: Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Shaolin Monk
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

The sprites have been sent, I'll work on the win pose tomorrow.

Nice work calactyte, the stage is looking good. One critique is the perspective seems too forced, like it doesn't all go the same way.
    Last edited by Bleed; 12-01-2011 at 11:43 PM.

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calactyte View Post
    Temple Shrine, 75% of the way through. Needs some color correction and other elements such as new guards and trees and the big shrine...but it's getting there. Torches missing as well. Also last but not least, it needs some shadows to pull you in but I wanted you guys to see what I was up to for the past two days.
    Looking awesome! I do have some crits to make, but not much time to post them now. Anyway keep up the great work

Okay I'll make one quick crit, and once again this is simply to do with function - currently, there doesn't seem to be enough depth in the background to accommodate for the guards, who are far off in the distance and so quite small. There's various ways to increase the depth here, but I'll have to make a more detailed post later.

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Calactyte, what I think you should do is move the back fence further away, and elongate the side fences so that they reach that distance. For the ground texture behind the path, make a very fine texture that gradually gets larger toward the front. Also make the left gate more narrow. That should do the trick I think.

Shaolin Monk
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a quick shot of what it looks like in the game, with my own coded base character.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...mix_InGame.jpg

Twitter
    @sub_zera
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Temple Shrine, 75% of the way through. Needs some color correction and other elements such as new guards and trees and the big shrine...but it's getting there. Torches missing as well. Also last but not least, it needs some shadows to pull you in but I wanted you guys to see what I was up to for the past two days.
    Hey friend Left and right entrances are cool, but sorry, i absolutely don't like the lighting, it's extremely flat In my version, there was a sunlight from behind, how the Buddha lighted. The rest objects are made with different lighting. Also, there are no shadows at all. If possible, please, send me this stage in 3ds or obj As I started, I'd like to finish it May i?

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zera View Post
    Hey friend Left and right entrances are cool, but sorry, i absolutely don't like the lighting, it's extremely flat In my version, there was a sunlight from behind, how the Buddha lighted. The rest objects are made with different lighting. Also, there are no shadows at all. If possible, please, send me this stage in 3ds or obj As I started, I'd like to finish it May i?
    His post says he hasn't put the shadows in yet, but they will be there. There are other things to fix too but overall I really like his version, would love to see him complete it.

Twitter
    @sub_zera
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No doubts that you like it, his version is more like arcade, yes. Do whatever you want

Also, i wanted to ask, do you need music for stages i made (they are as close to MK1 as I could create) or anyone else creates music?

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zera View Post
    No doubts that you like it, his version is more like arcade, yes. Do whatever you want

Also, i wanted to ask, do you need music for stages i made (they are as close to MK1 as I could create) or anyone else creates music?
    The Grid and I are already working on the music, he's got most of it composed already. But thanks for the offer anyway.

Shaolin Monk
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    Calactyte, what I think you should do is move the back fence further away, and elongate the side fences so that they reach that distance. For the ground texture behind the path, make a very fine texture that gradually gets larger toward the front. Also make the left gate more narrow. That should do the trick I think.
    Hi Jarvis,

I'm currently using the same dimension and depth that the Arcade is using. I'm trying not to stray from that. I wonder if it's not looking deep enough because of the ground texture. That probably will need to be tweaked.

SubZera,

I hope that you don't mind, but it's probably easier for you to send me the Buddah and Temple as .3ds or .max format than it would be for me to send you all of my 3D and .obj files.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great work you guys! Do keep up the awesome effort!

Also do post up ur music Sub_Zera. Having a variety is better and people can choose the one they like. I really liked the music you put in for your mugen games.

Twitter
    @sub_zera
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SubZera,

I hope that you don't mind, but it's probably easier for you to send me the Buddah and Temple as .3ds or .max format than it would be for me to send you all of my 3D and .obj files.
    It's OK, I'll send you my scene with lighting and texture. You can hide my objects and place the whole of your construction on the same place, so, your objects will be with the same lighting as Buddha.

Black Dragon Recruit tremor_209's Avatar
    Twitter
    @tremor_209
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed View Post
    Here's a quick shot of what it looks like in the game, with my own coded base character.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...mix_InGame.jpg
    Woah! ^ ^ these two are both cool !! But I have a question . . Is it me? or Is there something funny about the floors. .

I mean, Scorpion's feet are not really leveled on the floor, is he in his normal stance or is he going to jump?
    and in the Courtyard. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but the floor is kinda uneven . IDK guys if you can notice that too . .

MORTAL KOMBAT ! ! !

Shaolin Monk
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The yellow one is in the walking animation, and the shadow doesn't match his one foot, because it's not a real 3D shadow. It's just the sprite flipped and turned black.

These are little details that need to be fixed as we go along. I'll have to alter the walk, so the feet stay closer to the center line, and this shadow problem is not so apparent.
    Last edited by Bleed; 12-02-2011 at 09:48 AM.

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Jarvis,

I'm currently using the same dimension and depth that the Arcade is using. I'm trying not to stray from that. I wonder if it's not looking deep enough because of the ground texture. That probably will need to be tweaked.
    I just matched your one up to the original and you're correct, the dimensions are the same. So yeah, I agree you shouldn't stray from those.

I think what is affecting the depth is firstly the ground texture as we've already said, but not only that, it's the path too. In the original, the path is level with the ground and has a structured border outside of it, and its own texture is also increasing in size towards the front.

]

In your version however, the path appears as if the ground is casting a drop shadow onto it, as if it's above it. Your texture also doesn't change size - now the thing about the original, is that it treats the path and ground as one big floor that gradually grows, which gives more distance and is why the illusion of the far away guards can work. Not a path close up with shrinking ground behind it as one might think. Currently, neither your ground nor your path texture is growing, and that's why the stage lacks depth.

So basically the solution is to firstly give the path the same outside border as in original, then change all your floor textures starting from the ground to increase in size towards the front. Add the necessary lighting for the final step, and I'm positive we'll have the illusion of the guards.
    Last edited by jarvis653; 12-02-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Black Dragon Recruit tremor_209's Avatar
    Twitter
    @tremor_209
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The yellow one is in the walking animation, and the shadow doesn't match his one foot, because it's not a real 3D shadow. It's just the sprite flipped and turned black.

These are little details that need to be fixed as we go along. I'll have to alter the walk, so the feet stay closer to the center line, and this shadow problem is not so apparent.
    Oh! Okay I get it . . So in short , in the final product, the sprites/models are positioned in the center of the carpet . . ?

MORTAL KOMBAT ! ! !

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Jinko View Post
    Great work you guys! Do keep up the awesome effort!

Also do post up ur music Sub_Zera. Having a variety is better and people can choose the one they like. I really liked the music you put in for your mugen games.
    I agree variety is a good thing, however everyone should be aware that the music is having a lot of work put into it, just as much as the graphics. We'll be using modern high quality plugins, extensive mixing and mastering for a really great production. I'm very excited for it.

Shaolin Monk
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the correct position will be used on the carpet.

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Calactyte, this might be trivial but I thought I'd check with you anyway since you made the screen. I've altered the text on it, Press Start now has the same styling as I've used for the rest of the UI, and the Copyright and TM text have been changed to a similar font to the Midway logo, which also closely enough resembles the original copyright/tm text. All good?

Twitter
    @JinkoMK
    PSN
    VinnyPoo
    Steam
    JinkoMK
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Few things need touching up, if what's shown won't be modified. The background statues are not evenly apart, and some seem to be floating.

The rear wall appears to have two parts to it too. I'm not too fond on how the wall gets darker, then stops, and the new wall is lighter.

I agree with the depth of the ground. New textures need to be made to look like the original, where the stones/pebbles are exponentially larger up front than the back.

Lighting on the Buddha is very different to other objects in the arena.

I'm sure you have noticed these by now, so keep up the hard work. You're doing a bang-up job!

And also the statue on the far left - maybe you should flip it. It will make sense to assume that beyond the left entrance will be a repeat of what's on the arena.

Wow, I never realised how big Tsung must have been all that time.

Visit this link to add more random things to my sig.
    For MK9 Video requests, PM me.
    http://youtu.be/user/JinkoMK9

PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Jinko, it's a been while man. Hope you've been well, glad to see you've taken an interest in this project

Thread Information