Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

After doing some tests, it looks like we need to mix the frame rate depending on the animation.

Some animations look good at 30 while others look too choppy.

The stance and walk for example look fine at 30, but the crouch was looking choppy.

I set the fps for the crouch to 60 and now it's looking good. I just need to pick and choose where to cut frames and where to add some.

General rule so far is to stay at around 20 sprites for any move. The less the better as long as it doesn't look bad.

Yeah, but the thing is you obviously have the talent to make this that much better. IMO, you should really make this project your own. Be inspired by the source, but go all out. Add the extra squash and stretch. Add better secondary animation. Make Boon take a look at this work and be like "!@#$, we need to hire these people asap". Your work so far is nice, but if you can do it better man, go for it.

After doing some tests, it looks like we need to mix the frame rate depending on the animation.

Some animations look good at 30 while others look too choppy.

The stance and walk for example look fine at 30, but the crouch was looking choppy.

I set the fps for the crouch to 60 and now it's looking good. I just need to pick and choose where to cut frames and where to add some.

General rule so far is to stay at around 20 sprites for any move. The less the better as long as it doesn't look bad.

I'm glad, this sounds like a better approach than keeping it at a constant 30. Although, what I'd personally prefer is that you keep the stance and walk anims always at 60. They are the most common anims in the game, so even if everything else is cut, it could help give the illusion that the gameplay is smoother than it actually is, and cut moves could be attributed more to speed.

I got the lighting fixed, or I think it looks better. I changed the skin and cloth shaders to get a little more form out of it.

A little more harsh color transitions, so you can see it better with the limited color table.

I got the sprites rendering again almost all of them are done, and the new palettes.

I think I'll be able to send the stuff again tonight.

About the animations, because we are trying to make a very close recreation of a classic game. I have a limit with the most important Key frames and game play elements. I can change where I have room, but the most important points need to match as closely as I can make them.

I can go all out and make a bunch of extra details, but then it'll be something like MK9 and that's not the goal.

My personal work on the other hand, is all crazy like you say. I'll probably code these characters and make new animations, so they play totally different, more like a movie. That's what I always do with my stuff, I'm a big fan of Tekken and Virtua Fighter, so a lot of those types of ideas go in to it.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the thing is you obviously have the talent to make this that much better. IMO, you should really make this project your own. Be inspired by the source, but go all out. Add the extra squash and stretch. Add better secondary animation. Make Boon take a look at this work and be like "!@#$, we need to hire these people asap". Your work so far is nice, but if you can do it better man, go for it.

Sorry but I don't agree with this. The way I see it, this MK1 should be as faithful to the source as it can be, all things considered. So far it is, and should be kept that way IMO. So many fans crave that old-school feel, we saw that demand with MK9 for instance - despite it being inspired by the classics, and so many classic throwbacks included, people just wanted more and more. So there is definitely a common want for just a HD update of the originals.

I see the goal of this project as accurately capturing the feel of seeing MK1 in the arcade for the first time, which means it should really reflect the 90s and not present day. That's why I'm so against any obvious modernization, because differences like that will hurt the overall intended experience. It's a bit difficult to explain it in words for me, but when this project is done, I think everyone will understand once that rush of nostalgia hits them. And that's what it's all about.

You guys bring new meaning to the term "open source". Thanks for sharing all your work openly here on the forum. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates it and I hope this isn't the last of the "thanks" replies.

Temple Shrine, 75% of the way through. Needs some color correction and other elements such as new guards and trees and the big shrine...but it's getting there. Torches missing as well. Also last but not least, it needs some shadows to pull you in but I wanted you guys to see what I was up to for the past two days.
TEMPLE_SHRINE.jpg

The sprites have been sent, I'll work on the win pose tomorrow.

Nice work calactyte, the stage is looking good. One critique is the perspective seems too forced, like it doesn't all go the same way.

Last edited: