Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Yes, I'll be there this Saturday.
Bleed is working on the renders and I've added the UI Jarvis sent me, but it was select screen and battle plan only, he had some issues with PS, so I don't know if the rest of the UI will be in, it depends if I get this in the next 12-14 hours

Will be sending you more today, still working on some text but you should have the majority of it to use for Saturday. How were the PSDs by the way, everything good for you?

The weird issue I was having with PS, and I wonder if anyone can shed some light on it, is that when I'd merge some text and move it, sometimes a letter of a word would get cut off slightly and a dropshadow would change. It was just a random thing that would happen a small percentage of the time, I managed to work around it but still don't know what was causing the problem. Just a frustrating bug.

Last edited:
Here's the rest of the anim, and a doodle I made while rendering :) This is what I do while I'm waiting for the computer to load...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd155/GM123456/MK1scorpsketch.jpg

MK1_Scorpion_Jump-Ball_04.gif

Very nice work that you're doing. Very, very cool. The main thng that stands out to me is that there is no squash. Before he jumps he should crouch down, then spring up. When he lands, he should absorb the impact by crounching as well, then in ready pose.

@Mortal Gojira: You are right about what the jump should look like, but that's one thing about MK. They don't have it working that way, I did it how it is in the game. They skip the start up and landing animations for the diagonal jumps.

@prstyles27: Thanks man, it's an honor :)

I have the palettes working now and I'm able to change the character's color with no problem.

I've started loading some of the sprites in to mugen, in my own characters so I can see if it's working.

So far so good...

I've started loading some of the sprites in to mugen, in my own characters so I can see if it's working.

So far so good...

I am so excited for this, can't wait to see the characters moving around in-game with the new stages. It's gonna blow people's minds.

Oh another thing, I changed the frame rate to 30fps, 60 is too much.

The fight stance alone was over 40 frames at 60fps.

Here are the Fight stance sprites, you can start with that for now. Let me know if something is messed up before I get too far.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0iym2d

frames at 2 tics each.

Default palette is blue because I'm using it for masking. There is another palette made to change his colors back to the normal yellow.

The shading doesn't look as smooth as I'd like, but we have a 256 color limit. Some animations will need some tweaking after they start working in the game.

His Leading shoulder for example, looks weird to me once I got him facing the other way in Mugen.

ok i've added the sprites to sff i'll try it at home (i'm leaving from my job right now)
if you have the other animations leave a PM and i'll download it later at home. i can't wait to try this

Oh another thing, I changed the frame rate to 30fps, 60 is too much.

The fight stance alone was over 40 frames at 60fps.

Are you sure it needs to be kept at 30fps? Because apart from the models looking realistic, the smooth anims at 60fps is what really sells it. Would it be too impractical to instead selectively take away frames from some animations where they aren't necessarily needed? I'd appreciate it if you posted comparisons between 30fps and 60fps, at the moment I personally don't feel good about it though.

It sucks that mugen is limiting the amount of character data that can be put in this project. Is there any way it can be modified so the characters are not all in one giant file?

The difference isn't so much that it looks bad. You can tell if you put them side by side, but alone it looks fine. 60 looks smoother but it's just too many files, over load for a small improvement.

Anyway, I got the walk animation in mugen now and it's looking pretty good, so I'll send it over.

He's ALIVE! lol, the feeling never gets old >D

Last edited:
The difference isn't so much that it looks bad. You can tell if you put them side by side, but alone it looks fine. 60 looks smoother but it's just too many files, over load for a small improvement.

I wouldn't call it a small improvement, 60fps is very noticeably more natural to me. But you're making these characters so it's your choice, at the moment I'm not convinced about the rate change though, I think the look and feel of the game will suffer for such a big drop in frames. I just hope that mugen doesn't overload even with only 30fps worth of sprites. Then again are we 100% positive that it would overload with 60fps worth? I think it should be tested first, but anyway it's your call, just my opinion.

I just read through all 75 pages of this thread, registered with this site JUST so I could tell you guys how incredible this looks. This by far blows anything out of the water any group of fans have ever done and I am TRULY looking forward to it. Everyone's work is incredibly mind boggling and breath taking. Bleed, you work on Scorpion is almost photo realistic and blows my mind.

Hats off to all of you.

Please keep this alive and see it to the end. It will be the greatest MK thing ever. Boon and company will shed tears when they see it in its completed form.

I just read through all 75 pages of this thread, registered with this site JUST so I could tell you guys how incredible this looks. This by far blows anything out of the water any group of fans have ever done and I am TRULY looking forward to it. Everyone's work is incredibly mind boggling and breath taking. Bleed, you work on Scorpion is almost photo realistic and blows my mind.

Hats off to all of you.

Please keep this alive and see it to the end. It will be the greatest MK thing ever. Boon and company will shed tears when they see it in its completed form.

Big thanks to you and everyone else who is supporting this project, your enthusiasm is inspiring :)

This project will make me love MK1. But I hope you will continue after and make MKII HD Remix.

Nothing, nothing can prepare you...

Haha but in all honesty, it all rests on MK1 because this is the experiment. And I do mean experiment because nothing like this has been done before. If it works though, and everyone involved had a good experience, then I can't see why not. But MK1 is going to be a long ride as it is, so I'd advise people not to look that far ahead yet.

Although, after all my work is done here, then I may gradually start working my way through MK2 UI, in case it can be put to use one day. But for the moment I think everyone should keep their focus on this one.

I have all day today to work on this, and right now I'm messing with the lights a little. He's too dark compared to the UMK3 model and the stages. He's looking too flat also, so I'm going to try and fix that today, and render the rest of the sprites made so far.