Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Yesterday I made Goro's Lair stage. No torchs yet and it need some fixes.
Personally I think the original stage sucks but actual stage is too dark. Maybe we can add some bright to the front layer and keep the back layer darker, it adds more ambient to the stage IMO.

mugen000i.jpg

Today I made Pit/Pit Bottom stages. Still incomplete no clouds or silos yet.
I made these close to arcade version and there are some things I need to know:

mugen009.jpg

How is supposed to work the shadow of spikes and columns? static, parallax?..
Another thing is the background layer. In arcade you can see the moon, sky and mountain all the time, always following the camera. I made this that way, so this is a fixed image (1280x720) no scroll at all.
Yet another thing is related to Boon's dead body.. you can see it completly in arcade when you fight in pit bottom but not here (you can see it when jump or screen scroll up for some hit). this is because we use more space for floor, this sucks in arcade and here is better IMO

mugen008.jpg

Hi Interloko,

Wow you are fast! Ok, my thoughts

1) Pit does look too dark, and I agree the original arcade pit sucked, so lets not try and match it. Will look cool with animated torch flames.

2) The shadows on the spike can be static. I personally didn't expect them to be parallex unless you are up to the challenge.

3) Boon's face not showing isn't a deal breaker for me. Does anyone else care? I think I'd rather see more of the floor spikes anyway.

Personally I think the original stage sucks but actual stage is too dark. Maybe we can add some bright to the front layer and keep the back layer darker, it adds more ambient to the stage IMO.

mugen000i.jpg

Today I made Pit/Pit Bottom stages. Still incomplete no clouds or silos yet.
I made these close to arcade version and there are some things I need to know:

mugen009.jpg

How is supposed to work the shadow of spikes and columns? static, parallax?..
Another thing is the background layer. In arcade you can see the moon, sky and mountain all the time, always following the camera. I made this that way, so this is a fixed image (1280x720) no scroll at all.
Yet another thing is related to Boon's dead body.. you can see it completly in arcade when you fight in pit bottom but not here (you can see it when jump or screen scroll up for some hit). this is because we use more space for floor, this sucks in arcade and here is better IMO

mugen008.jpg

No, I'm using scaled graphics. Jarvis will send me the UI tonight

I agree about pit bottom, i prefer to see more floor. look how it is the arcade version:
0007dg.jpg

they fight over the columns.
we have more floor and we can see the skeleton with the sword too =D

in the new version you can see 3 pillars at once...it seems like in the arcade version it was more stretched out...plug in bleeds scorpion so we can get the full effect! ;)

I agree it is too dark, I would prefer moonlight as a light source to sort of resemble the original (only better) instead of torches, but I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me on this. If you guys want to keep the torches though then that's fine I guess, but it will still be hard to match the sprites to it even with them.

Correct, that's why the bridge had to be redone because the old one had shadows in the center which wouldn't be logical with the non-scrolling moon. I'm also redoing the mountains on that backdrop, we can add those in later though.

No, I'm using scaled graphics. Jarvis will send me the UI tonight

Yes, I am going to upload it right now.

PS:
I'm also happy to see that the characters stand perfectly in the Pit Bottom, I was hoping we wouldn't run into any problems like the original had.

Last edited:
Hi Interloko,

Wow you are fast! Ok, my thoughts

1) Pit does look too dark, and I agree the original arcade pit sucked, so lets not try and match it. Will look cool with animated torch flames.

2) The shadows on the spike can be static. I personally didn't expect them to be parallex unless you are up to the challenge.

3) Boon's face not showing isn't a deal breaker for me. Does anyone else care? I think I'd rather see more of the floor spikes anyway.

1) You mean Goro's Lair right? The Pit looks good to me
2) I agree with this
3) Couldn't care less about Boon's face. More spikes :)

in the new version you can see 3 pillars at once...it seems like in the arcade version it was more stretched out...plug in bleeds scorpion so we can get the full effect! ;)
i made a comparision between arcade pit and the new version. arcade version scaled is 3198 px width and our version is just 2700..
the good part is i resized the images and seems to fit to arcades.

after this i resized palace gates and looks like this:
0013as.jpg

so Sub-Zera you can use this image as reference. sorry for the late post

Tomorrow I'll remake Throne Room, fix the pit and probably work with UI.

Arm deform is fixed

Rear is more smooth

Knees have better shape

and some other minor tweaks.

That jittery look bothers me, maybe this would be good with motion blur? I haven't tried it.

Getting him to spin around the exact center of gravity is hard to nail... You'd think it was easy but I can't seem to get it just right.

Next step is to get what I have animated so far ready for Mugen.

MK1_Scorpion_Jump-Ball_03.gif

Last edited:
Bleed...what can I say except awesome as always. I'm interested in seeing a motion blur on it too though, that might be a good idea.

I'm going to render the other animations already made first, so Interloko can get them in Mugen for Saturday.

They need to match size, camera angle and have a palette.

I'm going to render the other animations already made first, so Interloko can get them in Mugen for Saturday.

They need to match size, camera angle and have a palette.
oh yeah!
i have free time tomorrow too, so no problem if you can't make it today
now i'm gonna remake throne room and update some UI

oh yeah!
i have free time tomorrow too, so no problem if you can't make it today
now i'm gonna remake throne room and update some UI

Hi Interloko,

Are you attending that MK event this Saturday? I think I remember you mentioning that. That's awesome, that you'll get to show off the team's progress! I can't wait to see the new UI in there, I hope you'll post some screens with HD Scorpion in the new backgrounds.

I just want to let you guys know that this stuff looks amazing and I am very impressed with how far you have taken it. It's so good I am following this as much as the release of info for mk9 haha. I'm not even that big of a gamer but this is doing mk justice... I can't wait to see this thing progress... KEEP UP WOW

oh and Bleed your character animations are SICK! Do you think if a character model is made for Sonya, Raiden etc that you can use the same animations as Scorpion or will you have to create a new set for each model? Also it seems like fatalities will be tough no?

The animations can be transferred between models. If we do that, It will only be to get more characters in the game real fast. I will need to change all the animations for every character so they look like the originals in the end.

Fatalities will need some extra work, but I can do it.

Hi Interloko,

Are you attending that MK event this Saturday? I think I remember you mentioning that. That's awesome, that you'll get to show off the team's progress! I can't wait to see the new UI in there, I hope you'll post some screens with HD Scorpion in the new backgrounds.
Yes, I'll be there this Saturday.
Bleed is working on the renders and I've added the UI Jarvis sent me, but it was select screen and battle plan only, he had some issues with PS, so I don't know if the rest of the UI will be in, it depends if I get this in the next 12-14 hours