Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I don't think it matters if we make it 60 fps, because using that frame rate at recording time will automatically give us the adjusted tic count, no?

Recording at a higher frame rate will give you a higher frame count without changing the speed of the game.

Mugen can be set to play at 53fps later also.

You just change the number in this line in the configuration file.
GameSpeed = 60
to
GameSpeed = 53

It'll play slower though, so we'd have to delete some frames.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters if we make it 60 fps, because using that frame rate at recording time will automatically give us the adjusted tic count, no?

It may, that's why I said the way you're doing it now could be perfect. lol

I just wanted to remind everyone about the frame data intricacies because I've been partially in that situation before and forgetting to carry the two made me semi-start over. Interloko knows what's up.

Another thing is I can change the fps setting in 3ds.max. Right now I have it at 60fps, but I can change it and the key frames will be adjusted automatically.

Then I can render a new animation with 53fps.

Another thing is I can change the fps setting in 3ds.max. Right now I have it at 60fps, but I can change it and the key frames will be adjusted automatically.

Then I can render a new animation with 53fps.
nice idea

about mame: be sure you set skip to 0 (press F8 as necesary). now when you pause the game and press shift+p it should not skip frames

Calactyte, the Pit Bottom looks really great now. The dirt textures did the trick, good job. I'll get onto the bridge later today.

Also just one more crit on the blood. I feel it should be darker and a slightly different tint, tell me what you think of this change:

pitblood.png

Reference image:

bloodreference.png

The whole image is lighter in the original but I think the colors have a bit more similarity to the edit above. It also looks more natural IMO and works well with the dirtiness you've placed in the image now.

Full view with changed blood:

pitbloodfull.png

If you want to try it, it's selective color > reds > cyan +100, yellow +100

Otherwise if it's too dark for you, at least try it without pushing the cyan to 100, and just having the yellow boost instead.

Last edited:
Characters are walking all over pillars, spikes, bodies, it's like they are placed too high. Also, when you beat someone in the corner it looks odd. And spikes are not parallax scrolling as someone said earlier in the thread, they always stay in the same place.

I didn't see the comment about fixed position spikes, personally I was just referring to the backdrop. But even if that's the case it doesn't matter, the spikes don't need to be fixed position unlike the backdrop which ensures the moon is always in view. I'm interested in the implications of characters being there though. Probably all that would be needed though is to play with the amount of ground after the front row of spikes, to get the characters in the same position as other stages but within a row of spikes that doesn't create any anomalies. That's if they're not already fine as is.

Should I add a stretch pose at the start of the Hop for Scorpion? The standard sprites go straight to a crunch position, but that doesn't make sense. There should be some type of impulse animation at the start.

If I do this, the jump works the same, just with a little different looking start up.

[edit]
I'm just gonna make it like the sprites.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's really annoying to look at, how it is in the game.

It's looking weird in 3D too without a startup.

Hey Jarvis,

Thanks for your help. Not sure about the blood. I couldn't zoom into your version to really see the difference. Should I be applying this setting to all the blood or just in that one particular area with the hanging upside down body?

Calactyte, the Pit Bottom looks really great now. The dirt textures did the trick, good job. I'll get onto the bridge later today.

Also just one more crit on the blood. I feel it should be darker and a slightly different tint, tell me what you think of this change:

pitblood.png

Reference image:

bloodreference.png

The whole image is lighter in the original but I think the colors have a bit more similarity to the edit above. It also looks more natural IMO and works well with the dirtiness you've placed in the image now.

Full view with changed blood:

pitbloodfull.png

If you want to try it, it's selective color > reds > cyan +100, yellow +100

Otherwise if it's too dark for you, at least try it without pushing the cyan to 100, and just having the yellow boost instead.

Hey Jarvis,

Thanks for your help. Not sure about the blood. I couldn't zoom into your version to really see the difference. Should I be applying this setting to all the blood or just in that one particular area with the hanging upside down body?

Here is the edited blood in original size:
pitbloodedit.jpg

If you do it then it should be applied to all blood within the stage, refer to my previous post for settings. I'm not sure if you have all the blood on one seperate layer, but that's what you'd need to do and apply it to just that layer, since the change in red does create subtle differences in everything else on a merged background as you can see in my example.

Bleed - My opinion on the framerate is that you should do whatever looks most natural. For me, 60fps is ideal.
The original MK was designed to run in 400x254 res, at 53.2 Hz on a 15.7 kHz CRT. So having our version run at the same rate, in HD resolution and on modern displays, doesn't make sense. We are able to have more fluid motion while keeping the gameplay similar, so there is just no point for the original framerate IMO.

Last edited:
Ok sounds good to me, and it's a lot more liberating this way. I can do better animations without having such a limited constraint.

Well... I got the neutral jump running smoothly now. I had to change some of the poses to improve the flow but the key timing is still there.

Next step is to work on the cloth again and whatever little details I notice.

Ok updated PIT Blood. How is that bridge coming along Jarvis? Oh btw, try not to affect the left and right side walls since they have to match up to the lower walls below.

the_pit_HD_j.jpg

Ok updated PIT Blood. How is that bridge coming along Jarvis? Oh btw, try not to affect the left and right side walls since they have to match up to the lower walls below.

Almost done with it, and yeah the left and right walls are not affected at all. I ended up doing more than just taking away the shadows, I think you'll like it. I'll finish it up tonight when I'm free.