Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Ok thanks for the tip Jarvis, I think I fixed the lighting issue. I really thought I'd need to re-render but turns out Photoshop can fix a lot.

Nope, Photoshop can fix anything, haha.

Anyway, what you've done here is a good start, but it still needs less lighting variation IMO. Something similar to this:

pithdedit3.png

It's just another quick example, so it has its flaws, but the idea is that the whole bridge should kind of match the points of light you have at the sides of the stage.

PS:
Just another thing to test - I don't know which drop shadow effect you have on the spikes and hung bodies, but if it's at the multiply setting, maybe try soft light instead and see whether it looks better.

Last edited:
Nope, Photoshop can fix anything, haha.

Anyway, what you've done here is a good start, but it still needs less lighting variation IMO. Something similar to this:

pithdedit3.png

It's just another quick example, so it has its flaws, but the idea is that the whole bridge should kind of match the points of light you have at the sides of the stage.

PS:
Just another thing to test - I don't know which drop shadow effect you have on the spikes and hung bodies, but if it's at the multiply setting, maybe try soft light instead and see whether it looks better.

Are you saying you like the original lighting better?

I'm liking the progress. The only thing I can say personally and feel free to ignore this since it seems you are wrapping up work on that stage.. but I think the heads look a little too neat especially "Peg Burr" the originals looked more bloody and the new ones look like just a few flecks of blood where thrown at them from a brush. Also I think the skin would be dirty especially from being down in the pit for a while and not so clean. Same goes for the bones.. they'd be a little more dirty than that I think especially since there isn't much light going down there to bleach them.

Speaking of cleanliness also I wonder if since the pit bottom is never cleaned there'd be spider webs and dirt in the corners or back barrier. You don't have to do this it was just a thought of mine. Like I said before feel free to ignore this if you feel you are already done and want to move on but I just thought it'd be food for thought.

Working on the timing between HD and SD sprites.

Each SD sprite lasts for 4 tics in this animation which means you have 4 HD frames at 1 tic.

I changed the timing on the 3D model's animation to fit the time constraints.

The paused frame would be the fighting stance animation.

Scorpion_MK1_crouch_timing.gif

You are absolutely right! So I've added dirt and cob webs to the heads and bodies nearest the spiked ground. They were way too clean looking. I'm too close to this stuff, so sometimes I miss the obvious. It's subtle but I think it definitely looks better.

the_pit_HD_i.jpg

Just need the bridge back from Jarvis and I'm ready to call this done.

I'm liking the progress. The only thing I can say personally and feel free to ignore this since it seems you are wrapping up work on that stage.. but I think the heads look a little too neat especially "Peg Burr" the originals looked more bloody and the new ones look like just a few flecks of blood where thrown at them from a brush. Also I think the skin would be dirty especially from being down in the pit for a while and not so clean. Same goes for the bones.. they'd be a little more dirty than that I think especially since there isn't much light going down there to bleach them.

Speaking of cleanliness also I wonder if since the pit bottom is never cleaned there'd be spider webs and dirt in the corners or back barrier. You don't have to do this it was just a thought of mine. Like I said before feel free to ignore this if you feel you are already done and want to move on but I just thought it'd be food for thought.

I don't like the spider webs either.

I'm sorry, but the heads just look plain odd.

Everything else is coming along awesome though!

A couple things I see...

The dirt on the skeletons should be more in the corners where it would get stuck. Mostly removed from large smooth areas. I would try some old bloody color tones for it, browns, yellows, dark reds....

The heads look too fresh IMO, there's too much red in the skin.

Oh yeah that looks better, is the pit finished then?

Looks nice

I'm going to start on a new animation right now, should be up later tonight.

Here's some gameplay problems that the original Pit had;

zjcill.jpg

ejwjuq.jpg

Characters are walking all over pillars, spikes, bodies, it's like they are placed too high.
Also, when you beat someone in the corner it looks odd. And spikes are not parallax scrolling
as someone said earlier in the thread, they always stay in the same place.

I need to know how many tics scorpion's jump animation lasts while in the air. From take off to the last tic before the landing animation starts.

I'm trying to count with Mame, with Shift+P, but it skips frames and I can't get an accurate number.

I'm making the neutral jump, and this is so I can add some cloth animation and stretching motion in mid air.

[edit]

Oh wait, I could record it on video and count with that.

After recording with Fraps at 60fps, I ran the video with Virtualdub, and counted

41 tics = starting from the moment you leave the ground till the last tic before landing animation starts.

3 tics = first frame of landing animation

4 tics = second frame of landing animation

Last edited:
Ok I've addressed all the comments as best I could see the results:

the_pit_HD_i.jpg

Inexcusable. Clearly not enough cow.

@Bleed - don't forget that the arcade ran at 53fps. That goes for everyone, it's just something to keep in mind when analyzing this stuff because you don't want to mistake the added frames Fraps is going to throw in there. The way you're doing it now could be perfect, but I want to at least remind everyone now that we're going through that stage of development. I'd hate to see someone go through a ton of work only for something to go wrong and end up making one of you guys re-do everything from scratch.