Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

here is the updated stance, thanks a lot uker for your comments

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_JfpK8bWTJVZFpOTnljcl9BMDg[/video]
Nice improvement there.
I still think however that his upper area (everything waist up) is too small, which makes him look scrawny, as other people have pointed out.
Also, I liked the animation better before. Less jumpy and more as if he was floating.
I do like it a lot that you seemed to remove his legs, which I guess were there before.
What I didn't get is why you put the blue belts to the back instead of them being in the middle of the white strips as before. Also, those should be quite a bit longer, don't they?
Finally, and getting picky on this one, I'd flex the left elbow a bit more and rotate the left hand at the wrist on the wrist's axis so that the palm points more upwards, and the front of the fist is visible.

Here's this showing the change in upper body size. Sorry I didn't take the time to do the hand though.
hDv1AKx.jpg

And yeah, as CARZ said, within reasonable limits, I guess we're better off taking the time to get things right. I get little personal credit by doing this, and only take the time to do this critique for the satisfaction of seeing the amazing stuff arq puts out into the project.
Keep it up, man!

Last edited:
Isn't the front arm supposed to be leaning toward the camera, or is it just because of the animation?

Last edited:
hey arq, got a question if you don't mind
how did you animate the loin cloth(s)?
i sometimes do animation in free time but still don't have a good method to animate things like that
massfx glitches out a lot on fast, sharp movement and cat tails are simply way too stiff
is it via cloth modifier? i wonder how you've set it up because it also glitched out on me way, way too much and it doesn't work with bones

hey arq, got a question if you don't mind
how did you animate the loin cloth(s)?
i sometimes do animation in free time but still don't have a good method to animate things like that
massfx glitches out a lot on fast, sharp movement and cat tails are simply way too stiff
is it via cloth modifier? i wonder how you've set it up because it also glitched out on me way, way too much and it doesn't work with bones

all the cloth you see are animated with cloth modifier.. for shang I started like this:

1. added cloth modifier to the skirt and added the mesh and shoes a colision object, the cloth is attached to the mesh by a group of polygons and as the group propierty I used SURFACE to body.

2. added cloth modifier to sleves and I used the same process used in the skirt. as the group propierty I used SURFACE to body.

3 added cloth modifier to the jacket and as a colision added the skirt and the sleeves, that at the same time are coliding to the mesh. as the group propierty I used SURFACE to body.

4. added cloth modifier to the belt and addel the jacket and the skirt as colision. as the group property I used SURFACE to body.

5. added cloth modifier to the scarf and added the jacket and the sleeves as a colision and used as the group propierty SURFACE to body.

I don't know is this is the best method but is the one that worked for me... in this orther, cause for example, If I calcule first the jacket and than the sleeves the program crashes.. I don't know why, but my process is trial and error.

also make sure you are using centimeters or inches... (I'm using centimeters), cause if you use meters for example the cloth will simulate unrealisticly.

and finally, I'm using the default and cotton fabric as propierty so.. I hope you find this information usefull.

almost forgot, I added gravity to every cloth and calculated each one at a time

Last edited:
thanks for that explanation

but say you need to pose cloth to a certain position before you simulate it
logic tells me that should be done via bones but cloth basically explodes the entire chain around the scene when simulating

any ideas how that would work?

thanks for that explanation

but say you need to pose cloth to a certain position before you simulate it
logic tells me that should be done via bones but cloth basically explodes the entire chain around the scene when simulating

any ideas how that would work?

I would do it like this...

I would animate the character in the position I wante the cloth to be..calculate the cloth with that animation and when the animation ends wait until the cloth gets to a resting pose in that position and than select the cloth that I want to keep in that shape and make a clone of it as a copy, not instance, convert it to editable poly so the mesh keeps that shape, and than animate it again adding the cloth modifier one more time. I don't know why you would need it but maybe that is what you are talking about.

hmm....that could work...

essentially freeze the cloth at a frame that i'd like and then convert to a mesh...

problem is that takes a lot of simulation passes and tinkering to get it to the position that i'd like, that's why i prefer using bones
i also don't think you can export cloth animation into a game engine, another reason why i use bones

have you tried massfx before? it seems to work sometimes but i'm having trouble with controlling its twisting and etc

hmm....that could work...

essentially freeze the cloth at a frame that i'd like and then convert to a mesh...

problem is that takes a lot of simulation passes and tinkering to get it to the position that i'd like, that's why i prefer using bones
i also don't think you can export cloth animation into a game engine, another reason why i use bones

have you tried massfx before? it seems to work sometimes but i'm having trouble with controlling its twisting and etc
I

I tryed massfx before, but it has its limitation, also it just works with bones and I don't really like the way the cloth simulates... I rather use cloth modifier.. but that's just me hehe

here I got something to share, two new animations...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_JfpK8bWTJVSTRJaXFxWXhiNXM

I wanted to make him land before and than make his winpose, just to give it a little more realism I guess

Hey man,

I think his left sleeve..from (viewers perspective right sleeve) looks unnaturally stiff. Look at the original sprite the brown part of his sleeve falls down his arm a bit more than you have it. That is to say his forearms show in the original but not on your version.

Last edited:
Hey man,

I think his left sleeve..from (viewers perspective right sleeve) looks unnaturally stiff. Look at the original sprite the brown part of his sleeve falls down his arm a bit more than you have it. That is to say his forearms show in the original but not on your version.

yeah I know that, I tryed every cloth type to make those sleeves look more natural, I haven´t figured it out... yet

The animation looks cool, but the motion in the arms doesn't look right.
It looks as if he's throwing something behind him, like a ball or something.
I'd try to make the bones in his forearms go up without rotating at all relative to the environment, as if he was lifting a huge ball above his head.

Also, yeah, if you can do something about the cloth dynamics it will probably help.

Still, great to come here and see you post new stuff.
Keep it coming!

Forgot to say, him landing was an interesting touch.
Wouldn't have thought of it, but it looks pretty cool.