Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I've been following this project since almost the beginning, and I'm breaking my lurkers silence (after seeing Tom's post) to say I too would be very interested in getting some 3D prints of the 3D models created here, if the authors will allow. Specifically I'd like 3D prints of all the character heads in order to make 6" scale custom action figures, accurate to the original trilogy actors. For those of us not lucky enough to own a 3D printer, Shapeways.com provides an excellent service, although pretty pricey. Hence why I'm only suggesting printing the heads.

I don't want to send this thread off-topic but if anyone else is interested in helping realize this idea please message me

I have no problem mailing out some 3D prints to artists who are kind enough to share the models. Im interested in some of the background elements like the buddah statue, dragons from pit and throne room. there is very few MK Models to print online, basically some misc. dragon symbols.

10563202_788978164488451_197328390073762288_n.jpg

10553420_788978181155116_2126255647973682146_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good.
Now, isn't she a bit too big?
She's like a full head taller than Liu Kang.

Also, I'll see to adjust Liu and Raiden's statues.
Those two are looking much more blue than the rest.

Well, here's what I did to the select screen:

0000_zpsfbf9be2d.png~original

MK-SelectScreen-v3_zps71c6b7a3.gif~original

The ones who get the most out of it I think are Liu Kang and Kano.
I always thought Liu Kang was missing a certain something that made it look more asian, so I tried to go towards that and I also tried to go for a better approximation to the mouth expression. I also did some color grading changes to his hair, so that the black level looked more in line with the ninjas' hoods.

On Kano, the face seemed too robust, and the expression in the brow too aggressive. Also, the shoulder band was too wide.

Other stuff I did was reduce Johnny Cage's traps and did some minuscule tweaks to his mouth area, some minor tweaks to Raiden (mostly what I had already presented before and some color correction stuff). I straightened Sub-Zero's face a bit and slightly altered the lighting in his hood, and both SZ and Scorpion got some minuscule tweaks to their eyebrows.

Also, I lowered Kano and Sub-Zero's backgrounds' saturation a bit, which at some point I felt were a tad too high, but I'm not too sure about these. In particular Kano's has these blotches with more saturation that I probably should have kept. In Sub-Zero's case it was mostly because the background was much more saturated than his mask, so it was a bit too prominent, but I didn't want to increase the saturation of the mask.

If we decided to go forward with these changes, I don't know if [MENTION=14435]MrMos3s[/MENTION] will intend to incorporate them into his portraits, or this can go into a final touchup pass to the actual selection screen as a whole.
I'm fine either way.

Awesome tweaks, but, i'd like to point out one thing that's been bothering me. Johnny Cage's glasses. they look really weird, kinda like that futuristic silver glasses Dr.Emmet Brown used in back to the Future 2.

Perfect.

BTW, I'm now feeling the need to retouch Liu Kang's pants.
They look a bit flat, as if they were matte, and not polished stone like they should.

Also, maybe we should make Liu's statue a bit taller.

Awesome tweaks, but, i'd like to point out one thing that's been bothering me. Johnny Cage's glasses. they look really weird, kinda like that futuristic silver glasses Dr.Emmet Brown used in back to the Future 2.
Yeah, I agree.
I think the problem is that Bleed's glasses are curved and the original's are pretty much flat.
I'll try to present an alternative for that and if I get anything worth presenting, I'll show it to you people.

I'm not sure about Liu being taller. He is shortest of all the characters right? Does he seem out of proportion in how small he is right now?

Here's the original (sorry about the low quality), and there he doesn't look any shorter than Raiden.

Warrior_Shrine.gif

[MENTION=5306]calactyte[/MENTION] wonderful job as always.

Liu and raiden look about the same height but from what I can see in the original picture I notice that the statues needs to be brighter in the hd version.... All of them, and just goro's statue has that blueish grey tone, the others have a yellowish grey tone

I did notice Goro's statue has a different tone, but I didn't think it was something that was worth reflecting.
If you people do, I'll see to reproduce it the next time I get my hands on the Shrine.

I did notice Goro's statue has a different tone, but I didn't think it was something that was worth reflecting.
If you people do, I'll see to reproduce it the next time I get my hands on the Shrine.

First of all, congratulations to you all, you're doing an excellent job!

Just two nitpicks:

- The statues need to look a bit brighter (needs more highlights, like the original).

- Sonya's bandana needs to be taller/wider (it looks too thin), so that the distance between her eyebrows and the bandana is much shorter, just like the original in-game sprites. In other words, the bandana should be right above her eyebrows, without almost any spacing in between, and the top of the bandana closer to her hairline.

Sonyamk1div.jpg

It's ok if Sonya's face doesn't look exactly like Elizabeth Malecki since she wasn't very recognizable in the game anyway (her face looks very edited in the game sprites). However she does need to look like a real person and not like a barbie doll like she does now. Maybe it will help if the face models aren't entirely symmetrical?

But the face models that need too look spot on are Johnny Cage and Liu Kang's. Daniel Pesina and Ho Sung Pak have very distinct faces, which are probably the most recognizable faces in Mortal Kombat 1.

Keep up the great work!

Attachments

• sonya.jpg
    sonya.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
hi guys
after a long time i'm here.
do you see this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ls_PbxCkA

a new fighting game engine!!

I still believe that if you want to use the 3d modeling characters , it is better to use a 3d engine that have features like dynamic lighting and realistic physics and all of those hard works in building 3d models eventuate good result.

but if you want to use a 2d engine like MUGEN it is better to use real characters (digitized characters), that is the secret of ed-boon success, because the gamer knows that the fighter is a real human and it add more excitement to the game like this:

www.justpushstart.com/2014/05/new-images-cancelled-mortal-kombat-hd-remake-surface-online/

Last edited:
hi guys
after a long time i'm here.
do you see this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ls_PbxCkA

a new fighting game engine!!

I still believe that if you want to use the 3d modeling characters , it is better to use a 3d engine that have features like dynamic lighting and realistic physics and all of those hard works in building 3d models eventuate good result.

but if you want to use a 2d engine like MUGEN it is better to use real characters (digitized characters), that is the secret of ed-boon success, because the gamer knows that the fighter is a real human and it add more excitement to the game like this:

www.justpushstart.com/2014/05/new-images-cancelled-mortal-kombat-hd-remake-surface-online/

study the pros and cons of using real people to make a FREE game made by fans to fans and you will answer yourself why we used 3d models instead

hello guys, I just wanted to tease you!!! yesterday night I just added bones to this little guy and I wanted to show you this picture just to have something to talk about in here LOL, it's REALLY basic so you will see a lot of weird deformations but to be the first try I think it looks pretty descent

goro.jpg