Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

the last body's knees are floating above the ground
That's because there's a shadow beneath him, it creates the illusion that there's space between legs and floor.
I think the better solution would be to create shadow for the body like they are done for the spikes.
In this case, behind him, right side, on the floor.

you can definitely see the base of a spike thats behind his knee, under his knee, which tells me its not touching the ground

Ok Thanks for the Crits guys.

I toned down the blood in the two newer bodies. I do want the upside down hanging body to have brighter color blood since it's a "fresher" kill". I know that will bug some people since the other bodies are basically the same, color blood, but I like having that corpse stand out somewhat.

Also thanks for pointing out that the shadows were wrong. I meant to go back and fix that, but I forgot. So that's been fixed now.

the_pit_HD_g.jpg

OK, new clouds are in. They are completely redrawn, to look a bit softer and a tad more realistic while maintaining the shape/color of the originals. They also have a bit of alpha transparency so that they don't look so cutout when the move past the moon.

the_pit_HD_g.jpg

i like the other clouds but these are good too because are more in arcade style. good work
just 3 heads to complete the stage =D

OK, new clouds are in. They are completely redrawn, to look a bit softer and a tad more realistic while maintaining the shape/color of the originals. They also have a bit of alpha transparency so that they don't look so cutout when the move past the moon.

the_pit_HD_g.jpg

Sorry to say it man but these ones just do not work IMO. I 100% prefer your old ones. Not only do these look completely different to the rest of the background, but the quality of them looks so much lower, as if you took the original sprites and just blurred them/added fx. I know I said the old ones could be improved but they at least looked more natural and much higher quality than these. I really hope you reconsider. Almost everything else looks fantastic but using these clouds affect it really negatively. Kind of like you made a new foreground but upscaled the original backdrop.

Last edited:
So I did a quick youtube search and this is kind of what I had in mind for the clouds.

The color is obviously wrong, but apart from that, why it works IMO is because the clouds are straight from a photo, and even though they're not moving, there is a mist overlay effect that adds realism to it. This is the best method I can think of, because that way there's no need to mess around with the light changes on clouds as they pass by the moon, it can just be one non-moving image that balances itself out with the moving mist effect.

Last edited:
I see what you are shooting for, but I can't say that I'm in love with it. I might be perhaps being too safe in trying to mimic the arcade's clouds, but this look like someone dropped a cheesy, clearly static photo of clouds in the background.

To do it, right and make it look super real the clouds would really need to animate, but that's a ton of work and I don't know how much system resources it would take to animate clouds like that.

If you'll be willing to create or find cool looking cloud assets with transparency I'd be willing drop them into the comp to see how they look. I think the key would be to find the right photography though. Not too sure if it's worth digging into this particular detail when there is still so much more to do.

So I did a quick youtube search and this is kind of what I had in mind for the clouds.

The color is obviously wrong, but apart from that, why it works IMO is because the clouds are straight from a photo, and even though they're not moving, there is a mist overlay effect that adds realism to it. This is the best method I can think of, because that way there's no need to mess around with the light changes on clouds as they pass by the moon, it can just be one non-moving image that balances itself out with the moving mist effect.

I see what you are shooting for, but I can't say that I'm in love with it. I might be perhaps being too safe in trying to mimic the arcade's clouds, but this look like someone dropped a cheesy, clearly static photo of clouds in the background.

To do it, right and make it look super real the clouds would really need to animate, but that's a ton of work and I don't know how much system resources it would take to animate clouds like that.

If you'll be willing to create or find cool looking cloud assets with transparency I'd be willing drop them into the comp to see how they look. I think the key would be to find the right photography though. Not too sure if it's worth digging into this particular detail when there is still so much more to do.

I'm definitely willing to help you out on the sky portion, so in the meantime you could move on to the next background while I'm sorting that out. This is definitely a very tricky thing to pull off, I would say it's easily the most difficult aspect of all the background work. So it makes sense if you try to get more work done on the rest and that way this won't seem like such a burden. I'll keep you updated on everything.

Also an update on the music guys...The Grid is working with me on it (or rather doing most of the work), he has a lot of experience with it and has composed a lot of the music already. It won't be long till we start experimenting with the sounds and style, so this part of the project is looking very promising. I'll be done with all of the UI this week and can get straight into audio work after that.

Yeah, the new ones don't look as nice as they did. Warping a photo with the liquify filter and painting over it would be a good thing to try.

Can't wait to hear the music!

More tweaking...

I think I made the pants a little too baggy now. Why don't I notice these things till after posting???

MK1Scorp_stance_wip02.gif

Last edited:
More tweaking...

I think I made the pants a little too baggy now. Why don't I notice these things till after posting???

If they're too baggy, then they're just slightly too baggy. But it's definitely a big improvement IMO, the only thing I thought was a bit strange on your previous version of the model was the pants. This one looks a lot better to me, and if you kept it this way then I'd personally be happy with it. The shape is almost spot on, at least on the right leg. Though if you feel like doing a bit of extra tweaking to get it exact, that's fine too. Excellent work!

PS:
If there's anything else I can criticize, it's that perhaps the feet are too big. Would you mind showing an image with smaller feet?

Last edited:
Yeah, the new ones don't look as nice as they did. Warping a photo with the liquify filter and painting over it would be a good thing to try.

Can't wait to hear the music!

More tweaking...

cool ! cool ! cool ! cool ! Can you put it on the Throne stage by calactyte?

Here I thought the previous one looked good but this one looks even better especially with the lighting. It makes the shading on the previous one look a bit too plain. I was even OK with the pants on the previous one but these ones are practically spot on.... but you, Bleed seem to be even more of a perfectionist than I am and everything you've done so far is good so I trust your judgement that these are a bit too baggy. Likewise if the feet are too big I think they are probably just a little bit too big. I figured Bleed just followed human anatomy so everything would turn out the correct size.

Also I would like to see higher resolution versions of it.

Here I thought the previous one looked good but this one looks even better especially with the lighting. It makes the shading on the previous one look a bit too plain. I was even OK with the pants on the previous one but these ones are practically spot on.... but you, Bleed seem to be even more of a perfectionist than I am and everything you've done so far is good so I trust your judgement that these are a bit too baggy. Likewise if the feet are too big I think they are probably just a little bit too big. I figured Bleed just followed human anatomy so everything would turn out the correct size.

Also I would like to see higher resolution versions of it.

The previous lighting he posted made sense to me considering the stage, and I liked the self-shadowing effect. This makes me think though, will the character's lighting change depending on the stage? Because if the 3D models are being rendered to sprites, then using a different version of lighting would require another set of sprites, no?

I guess it's not as impractical as it sounds, since really you'd only need a day lighting and night/dark lighting version. But it'd still be double the data.

Would appreciate it if you could give some clarification on this Bleed

Again, fantastic work Bleed. If we're nitpicking here the left pant leg is a ever so slightly too big and as Jarvis pointed out the feet might be slightly over sized. The shape of the pants are spot on.

That's a good point. I was thinking about having multiple lighting situations as well. I don't think it should be the goal for phase one, but rather an improvement made in phase 2 when we're going back over all this stuff with fine tooth comb.

The previous lighting he posted made sense to me considering the stage, and I liked the self-shadowing effect. This makes me think though, will the character's lighting change depending on the stage? Because if the 3D models are being rendered to sprites, then using a different version of lighting would require another set of sprites, no?

I guess it's not as impractical as it sounds, since really you'd only need a day lighting and night/dark lighting version. But it'd still be double the data.

Would appreciate it if you could give some clarification on this Bleed

That's a good point. I was thinking about having multiple lighting situations as well. I don't think it should be the goal for phase one, but rather an improvement made in phase 2 when we're going back over all this stuff with fine tooth comb.

From what I can see he's already been working on both versions, so I'm thinking it might already be done in the first phase, with just minor tweaks left for the second. Also I wouldn't aim for multiple, because as I said since the 3D models are rendered out to sprites then every different type of lighting would need its own set of sprites. A day version and a night version would be enough IMO otherwise it'd be adding much more data for not much difference.

I'm actually wondering now how large in size this game will be once it's completed. Since it's all HD, the size will probably be considerable. Plus I'm thinking what file formats the images will be in, whether they'll be compressed etc. Same for audio format and compression. Maybe Interloko could provide some answers on this. Does mugen have any graphics limitations? How will HD graphics affect its performance?

Last edited:
i don't like the idea of both versions (day & night). a simple example of how this can suck at some point: in mugen you can't select the graphic file, you choose a character and then the engine load the files defined in a file. for every graphic situation you need to add the def file
let's suppose you are in arcade mode, you start as "day" version and will be playing as it for the entire gamefacing "day" or "night" characters =/
the only solution is manage this with a palette change. off course creating the palette for both situations can be a pain and probably won't look good.

for me we need to make a palette for both situations, just like arcade. this is not a 3D engine, so lighting and shadows will never be right all the time

for graphics it uses pcx or png and then you "compile" them into a stand alone file (.sff) with compression. a big change between mugen 1.0 and 1.1 is that the graphics cards (in 1.1) does the visual work, in 1.0 was 100% CPU. so i think it will run smoth
for sounds, the main bg music can be a mp3 but character's sounds and fx's are wav

What we can do to help the effect a little is add a film on the full screen. A flat color set to some type of overlay mode and lower opacity, to kind of get everything to have a similar tone of color.

A palette effect, or different palettes slightly altering the colors.

If we mix some of these options, we can sort of fake the lighting change for every stage. It's never going to be perfect, because it's not really 3D.