Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

2a6ovhk.gif

This sonya at mk2 is not elizabeth thanks to legal problems with Midway. I am no saying that is the same from your work, cause honestly this sonya at ending seem a shemale. I don ´t feel this 3d model as elizabeth, but is a good remplacement without any doubt.

I don't think there were any legal problems. My understanding is that Elizabeth Malecki got pregnant, so in MKII when you see her in Kahn's Arena, it is a different woman's body - but still Malecki's face. It should still be Malecki in Jax's MKII ending as well.

Woohoo, cb0363, I absolutely love your improvements on Sonya! Most of all, she finally has that broad cheeky grin
which I was missing in the original, and her breast area is also more pronounced. Along with the better
coloring of the legs and the improvement of the stomach area it looks stunning. You show superb drawing
skill.
But I have come to understand that these imrovements are probably too many to be tackeled by Cris_Berserk all
at once, and its better to get the model done and then add these improvements on top and then it's probably
better to just adress the most strking ones, like the face and the tanktop bra and if there is time left the
other minor ones like the legs and the feet. But that's just my humble opinion, so no pressure from me here.

I don't think there were any legal problems. My understanding is that Elizabeth Malecki got pregnant, so in MKII when you see her in Kahn's Arena, it is a different woman's body - but still Malecki's face. It should still be Malecki in Jax's MKII ending as well.

I have understood that elizabeth fought with midway, cause they has not paid money for use her image into khan ´s arena stage and then both started going to a judament or legal actions. I readed this once time, maybe i am wrong.

Last edited:
I have understood that elizabetn fought with midway, cause they has not paid money for use her image into khan ´s arena stage and then both started going to a judament or legal actions. I readed this once time, maybe i am wrong.

You're right, she was involved with that whole lawsuit thing (along with Katalin Zamiar and Philip Ahn) but that occurred after MKII, so it's still her face you're seeing.

But I have come to understand that these imrovements are probably too many to be tackeled by Cris_Berserk all
at once, and its better to get the model done and then add these improvements on top and then it's probably
better to just adress the most strking ones, like the face and the tanktop bra and if there is time left the
other minor ones like the legs and the feet. But that's just my humble opinion, so no pressure from me here.

Haha, yes I agree with you :) Also, almost all the things I pointed out in my last post are pretty minor stuff and as I said, Cris model is great as it is, so it's up to him to do it or not. Maybe the face needs some improvement but Elizabeth Malecki's face is not really easy to do and there isn't great reference picture of her face from the 1st Mortal Kombat.

This being said, I still think that some details can be improved with "post-production" using Gimp or photoshop (things like hairs, lighting/shadows, some joints and balance color) almost because these things are easier to fix in 2d than in 3d. This is a long process but I don't think it delays the characters creation process a lot, almost because it's a parallel job. However that's just my opinion, after all, I'm not the owner of the project and I'm not the creator of the 3d models :D

On a side not, for fun, I tried to update the edited version of Sonya (Cris, I'm playing with your 3d render so let me know if you prefer me to stop and I'll delete the pictures ;) ). The face itself still doesn't match as I would like but I re-drew the hair. I used the in-game artworks as references and not Elizabeth Malecki photos:

sonya_sprite2_zpsb11c1ab2.png

sonya_face_zps566cc0cc.png

Haha, yes I agree with you :) Also, almost all the things I pointed out in my last post are pretty minor stuff and as I said, Cris model is great as it is, so it's up to him to do it or not. Maybe the face needs some improvement but Elizabeth Malecki's face is not really easy to do and there isn't great reference picture of her face from the 1st Mortal Kombat.

cb0363, you're outdoing yourself again and again!
Her face is mostly very tough to do, because you only have a
few pixels that form the face and have to see the bigger picture and create the high-res version of it from
your imagination based on what you think it would look like. I know well that this is hard, harder than things
like the breasts or the stomach. I also agree that E. Malecki isn't that pretty by herself and I wouldn't
be surprised if even Midway itself photoshopped some poses and animations afterwards when they created Mortal
Kombat 1.
The winning pose of Sonya is a good example, because I think her curves were more accentuated and she looks
slimmer around the waist than what she would look like if she was photographed without any filter or editing,
meaning she wouldn't be as curvy or good-looking in real life. Take her test your might posing as a comparison:
Her whole upper-body and her stomach looks so wide, it almost looks like a man. There is a big difference in
her look from her winning pose. And I think that the test your might pose was her un-photoshopped version. (I might be wrong with that)
That's the main reason why I think that it is better to use the ingame sprites as a reference and not photos of the real-life actors. The models should look like how they look in the game and not, how the actual actor looks, it often looks better and it would also be
more faithful and true to the original Mortal Kombat 1 game. Sometimes the actors themselves give a much better
reference, but not always and in that instance, you would better take the in-game reference, just based on what looks better.
But that's just my thoughts.

Last edited:
That's the main reason why I think that it is better to use the ingame sprites as a reference and not photos of the real-life actors. The models should look like how they look in the game and not, how the actual actor looks, it often looks better and it would also be
more faithful and true to the original Mortal Kombat 1 game. Sometimes the actors themselves give a much better
reference, but not always and in that instance, you would better take the in-game reference, just based on what looks better.
But that's just my thoughts.

I agree with you. Also, I think that E. Malecki wasn't the only one to be edited back in the day. Johnny Cage for exemple has a different hair cut (almost Terminator like) in his in-game sprites compared to the real Daniel Pesina. That's clearly visible if you compared the raw footage of johnny Cage to the original game.

I agree with you. Also, I think that E. Malecki wasn't the only one to be edited back in the day. Johnny Cage for exemple has a different hair cut (almost Terminator like) in his in-game sprites compared to the real Daniel Pesina. That's clearly visible if you compared the raw footage of johnny Cage to the original game.

Lol, I didn't even realize that!:_cool:
Well, that would be another fine example of "photoshop-cheating" back in the day!
In the end, everyone can decide for themselves, but to me, when in doubt, I would choose the in-game references over the actual-actor references.

Some touchup to [MENTION=13201]cb0363[/MENTION] 's excellent version of Sonya.

s_zps801588cb.gif~original

Just some tweaks to tone down the size of the teeth and mouth.

this is a quick one, I didn't even know it existed LOL

That looks just great.
Only strange thing is how the hand moving towards the crotch is a bit too slow and decelerates before getting there.
The hand should snap into its intended position.
Acting it out will show you the way. ;)
Also, the hand doesn't get to grab the crotch.
It's like only the back of the thumb lays over it but the rest of the hand just lays in mid air.

Some touchup to [MENTION=13201]cb0363[/MENTION] 's excellent version of Sonya.

s_zps801588cb.gif~original

Just some tweaks to tone down the size of the teeth and mouth.

Thanks uKER, I think you're right about the mouth. I reduced the teeth and the mouth but I kept the size of the lips. Also, I tweaked the headband, the eyebrows and the hair (slightly :D )

sonya_sprite4_zpsef258fe5.png

Anthony Marquez's son told me yesterday that
the MKHD game was NOT cancelled because of
quality issues, but stopped because of "politics".

he said the game was finished and ready to go,
but it was stopped. It wasn't cancelled
because it sucked or was going to suck, he
made it pretty clear. He actually surprised me
how smart and articulate he was for his age.

He wouldn't give me any details but he acted
like he let something slip when he said
"SOMEONE" (One = One Person) stopped it.

I have no idea if that "someone" was internal or
external to NRS.

I wonder if this projects CnD is related???

Last edited: