Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I'll try to illustrate better on the timing thing and the (supposed) kick.
I'm the only one seeing it then?
About the rendering, again, I'm available to try distributed rendering.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi Cris Berserk, I agree with uKER about the arm/shoulder.
Here are some other little things I noticed:

sonya_zps9d314f78.gif

1- About the fists: the heads of metacarpus should be on a more curvy line

2- About the waist/belt and brief: The waist (but not her hips) is a little thinner, the belt must be more tight (look at the red arrows) and the brief is slightly more high cut (the side are fully hidden under the belt, look at the red circle). Maybe the folds on the belt should be more horizontal (blue lines on the picture)

3- Maybe some modifications are needed on the jaw (not sure about this) and the wrinkles near the mouth should be slightly (very slightly) softened.

4- About the shoulders and arms: what uKER said is good :)

Sonya is on a good way ;)

Good adjustments made in photoshop gif.
Let's start by parts.
First, I will adjust the body modeling.
Second, I noticed that you changed the skin color and added in Figure 4 shade or texture in the arm.
I wonder if it is really necessary to change the skin color?

Third, in Figure 3, you mentioned adjustments in the jaw (but you were not sure.), And the wrinkled face.
The jaw you did is very similar to my version. But in my "Sonya Version 'has a shadow on the jaw area due to lighting.
This is causing the appearance of thinner face.

Actress Elizabeth Malecki. Has this wrinkle on her face.
As you can see in the image. s3.jpg

@ Arq, will yet make adjustments in lighting, Thanks for the tip.

Thank you all and see you soon.

Good adjustments made in photoshop gif.
Let's start by parts.
First, I will adjust the body modeling.
Second, I noticed that you changed the skin color and added in Figure 4 shade or texture in the arm.
I wonder if it is really necessary to change the skin color?

Third, in Figure 3, you mentioned adjustments in the jaw (but you were not sure.), And the wrinkled face.
The jaw you did is very similar to my version. But in my "Sonya Version 'has a shadow on the jaw area due to lighting.
This is causing the appearance of thinner face.

Actress Elizabeth Malecki. Has this wrinkle on her face.
As you can see in the image. View attachment 6230

@ Arq, will yet make adjustments in lighting, Thanks for the tip.

Thank you all and see you soon.

Let's start by parts too :)

-1) Maybe you're right about her face. I softened the wrinkles because I though she looks a little too old but it's maybe due to the shadows. However, seeing the photo you post, I think her headband should be larger and more close to her ears. Maybe you should post a close up render of her face.

-2) I don't think it's necessary to change the skin color, I did this on the animated gif because her skin color is slightly darker on her MK1 original sprite. Just a matter of taste I think :)
However, I modified the texture on her forearm in order to make the muscles more visible and the junction between the arm and the forearm more realistic. I don't know if it's easy to do this on the 3D model.

By the way, I think the most important modifications are:
-The belt, brief and waist
-The shoulders/arms
-The fists

Good luck and keep up the good work :)

Here, I stabilized Scorpion's bio.
See if this helps understand why I think I'm seeing a kick at the end there.

ScorpBio_zpsbc45e507.gif~original

Notice the spin in the waist and the body bending backwards just before the end, the jolt in the right hand, and how the body twists back after that.
The alleged kick would be one of those where the knee slightly rises and then the lower leg whips sideways, flexing the knee, stopping when the leg is straight, at which point the knee bends back as the leg lowers.

Last edited:
in theory this stance pose is not very hard, not in comparison with kano stance pose or liu kang kang stance pose. Scorpion stance too is hard but not complicated like kano or kang.

More complicated is reptile mk2 stance, well sonya should not give alot problem in next months, i think.

Anyways the reason of why its hard, is thanks to Dan pesina ´s martial corepgraphy in mk1 and mk2, specially mk1. Umk3 suck as hell in martial coregraphy ,and for this reason whole umk3 stances are less hard than sonya from mk1 stance pose.

Last edited:
I still don't see a kick, the movement doesn't make sense. If he did a side kick or a round house with his right leg, his torso would twist in the opposite direction.

The torso animation he's doing there, with a kick would make him end up with his back toward us, because he's not countering the turn, and the weight of his leg would make him turn around.

uKER sees kick where there clearly isn't one and yet fails to notice that Liu Kang 'grows' boobs during arq's fireball animation. Great eye my ass... Hey, uKER, instead of kick maybe Scorp actually whips his d**k out and performs some 'get over here' stuff with it, how 'bout that? Just ignore his time-consuming nonsense, Gabe... Gif looks awesome

uKER sees kick where there clearly isn't one and yet fails to notice that Liu Kang 'grows' boobs during arq's fireball animation. Great eye my ass... Hey, uKER, instead of kick maybe Scorp actually whips his d**k out and performs some 'get over here' stuff with it, how 'bout that? Just ignore his time-consuming nonsense, Gabe... Gif looks awesome

You can respectfully disagree without being a total prick. The fact that you don't see all the stuff that is off in the Scorpion animation isn't helping your cause here either. Why not take a screenshot or grab the frame of the gif where the 'boobs' grow on Liu?

The kick I'm picturing if there is one, is probably a front snap kick rather than either a roundhouse or sidekick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK6h7Bih9AI

I still don't see a kick, the movement doesn't make sense. If he did a side kick or a round house with his right leg, his torso would twist in the opposite direction.

The torso animation he's doing there, with a kick would make him end up with his back toward us, because he's not countering the turn, and the weight of his leg would make him turn around.

You can respectfully disagree without being a total prick. The fact that you don't see all the stuff that is off in the Scorpion animation isn't helping your cause here either. Why not take a screenshot or grab the frame of the gif where the 'boobs' grow on Liu?

I was just waiting for you to come to uKER's defense, underminder of your own project... That's right. If uKER was present from the very beginning, by now, due to his needless nitpicking, I bet that not a single character would be completed, and you're the one to blame since it was your decision to put him in charge. At first, the two of you were at each other's throat, and then, you exchanged e-mail addresses or whatever and all of the sudden you're best buddies supporting each other regardless of level of ridiculousness you occasionally display. Great eye - yeah, right! As for Liu Kang, the error in his chest anatomy during the fireball is more than obvious... It needs no gif nor screenshot. You two refusing to see it, however, is another matter... Scorpion doing a kick in his intro? Nonsense. Actors undoubtedly knew that they were being filmed from the waist up... Why in heavens would they be doing kicks?

The kick I'm picturing if there is one, is probably a front snap kick rather than either a roundhouse or sidekick.
Well, the one I pictured was pretty much the one he does with LK in MK2.
I made this GIF from MK2 sprites to better match how I picture it (it's not exactly like this in the game).
The one in the bio is probably lower though given that the body doesn't bend nearly as much.

SC_zps0975b0e1.gif~original

Note that the body is supposed to be sideways relative to the opponent.

Last edited:
Animation has lens flare in lower left corner.) Also you can notice shadow on last frames.
I think Uker is right about that and Scorpion doing LK.

The Liu Kang "growing a boob" issue is caused by the thing i already said other times. All the anatomy models are correct, but when you put that thing in motion it all looks like rubber, because the muscles and tendons are not acting and reacting together as they would in a real normal human being. So, Liu Kang's chest is always pumped up in any motion that he does. And sometimes the animation will make it stretch even more in an unrealistic way.

The only way to make that right would be to have some kind of muscle/bones simulation underneath his skin. But i know nothing about 3d animation, just anatomy =).

About the scorpion animation, i think he needs to make some of those moves a little faster. the first and the second arm moves are supposed to have kind of a quick hit in the end. and i'm pretty sure he is supposed to be looking towards the camera in the last second.

I'm not sure it would be a side kick like that though since his torso wouldn't need to twist but rather lean back a bit for that.
Perhaps it is a snap kick with the back leg? He'd have to twist his torso to kick like that. It could also be a knee but with the back leg. In fact the more I think about the more I can picture it being a knee with the rear leg. Either way, it definitely looks like he is doing something where he'd need to put his hands up near his ears for balance and where his torso needs to twist.

Well, the one I pictured was pretty much the one he does with LK in MK2.
I made this GIF from MK2 sprites to better match how I picture it (it's not exactly like this in the game).
The one in the bio is probably lower though given that the body doesn't bend nearly as much.

SC_zps0975b0e1.gif~original

Note that the body is supposed to be sideways relative to the opponent.

Whatever man. If it were up to you Liu Kang would still look like a midget. I guess you haven't really been on the forums everyday to see uKER's contributions. If I've had a change of heart with uKER it is because I respect his contributions. He isn't lazy with his critiques. Posting the boob growing isn't for my benefit but for Arq's so that we can get that move to look correct.

Listen, clearly you'd prefer these characters to be completed sooner rather than later, I understand that. I want that too. But lets get this right now so we don't have to go back and fix everything later. It just won't happen. No one is going to go back and re-render this stuff ever ever again. So once you've gotten that through your head and can accept it then maybe you'll understand why getting it right and nitpicking now is what is most important. Besides Bleed LIKES when people critique his work. No one is forcing him to redo this stuff. They are just suggestions. Also, and lets be really honest here, if Bleed's ego were so fragile that he quits every time anyone gives him any kind of critiques do you honestly think he'd stick around long enough to finish all his characters?

No I'm not undermining this project. I'm letting someone who is skilled at noticing details handle that work and when I don't see what he is pointing out or I think it doesn't matter that much, I'm honest about it. No conspiracy here. Everyone wants the same thing. I'd like it to be the best it can be. We have the advantage of not having a deadline here. Instead of complaining about uKER since no one that matters on this team agrees with you, why not help out by demonstrating visually the things that don't look right to you.

I was just waiting for you to come to uKER's defense, underminder of your own project... That's right. If uKER was present from the very beginning, by now, due to his needless nitpicking, I bet that not a single character would be completed, and you're the one to blame since it was your decision to put him in charge. At first, the two of you were at each other's throat, and then, you exchanged e-mail addresses or whatever and all of the sudden you're best buddies supporting each other regardless of level of ridiculousness you occasionally display. Great eye - yeah, right! As for Liu Kang, the error in his chest anatomy during the fireball is more than obvious... It needs no gif nor screenshot. You two refusing to see it, however, is another matter... Scorpion doing a kick in his intro? Nonsense. Actors undoubtedly knew that they were being filmed from the waist up... Why in heavens would they be doing kicks?