Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I never thought of that.
Basically you're saying the animations should be ping-pong and not looped.
So then arq should only render half of the cycle and the rest should be the same thing played in reverse.

While your GIF illustrates the point, you should have dropped some frames from it, so that you don't have the full loop played twice, once forwards and one backwards.

Here's this.
I had to do some manual picking to take out some frames that were breaking the motion.
This one is 27 frames (yours was 66).
It's a bit stiff at some points but I think it doesn't look bad at all.
Sure enough, the bounce speed is equalized.

Man, that was a really cool idea you brought to the table.

LiuKang-1_zps078c640f.gif~original

Last edited:
That is a simple fix actually.

As far as what uKER mentioned before, the fighting stance being seen in an empty 2P game. I used to practice the game in 2 player mode with the second player controller just sitting on the floor (on SNES). Also in MUGEN you have a Training Mode, so the fighting stance would be seen a lot more there as well.

I never thought of that.
Basically you're saying the animations are ping-pong and not a loop.
So then arq should only render half of the cycle and the rest should be the same thing played in reverse.

Don't know if Bleed used it that way, but it sure was done like that in the original:

TqYjUrf.png

Walking backwards was basicly walking forward reveresed in the original too.

And I agree completely that idle stance and walking should be made as good as possible.

Other animations fly too fast to notice small details, even block - what you see most of the block is only the last still frame.

Well, yeah, I figured the original was like that, but I hadn't thought the same could be applied to these high-res, high framerate renders.

I think it worked back then because of the bad quality but now, looping it like that is too obvious and doesn't look natural... don't worry guys, I got rid of the loop already

Last edited:
@arq_ while you're at it can you please smooth out this pointy thingy on his pants. I can't help but notice it when in motion, it's poking my eye:

oM4WOhF.jpg

ROUND TWO... FIGHT

@la_luna, I can get rid of if, but I have to add more subdivisions to the pants, maybe I do it for the final render.. I don't really mind about that at this moment, but thanks either ways

Impressive work, man!
Right off the bat I don't see anything wrong with it.

Maybe make the motion a bit smoother.
The right shoulder jolts a bit when the right foot steps away.
But nothing big.

Congratulations, man!

EDIT: There's also a bit of skin coming through the left lower leg on the pants and there's still the shadow on the shoe la_luna mentioned when the right foot steps away.

Last edited:
This is just about done once you get rid of the shadow on the foot, the spike on the waste of the pants and skin poking through.

Love the shoulder movement. Really nice work! Also nice job on adding in the forearm twist. The only thing I might just ask the question about so that we can decide now or not before you do final renders...Do we want the pants to be this dark where you can't see any folds in the cloth? Shouldn't the pants have just a little bit of grey in them? Or are we intentionally keeping the pants really dark to better hide the dynamic cloth not necessarily matching up? I realize in the original game the pants are almost flat black but I just want to get your opinion on how you think it should be. If we are basing Liu's pants off of how Bleed's Scorp/Sub look then the pants should have lighting/highlights on them. Especially if we are saying the pants are somewhat shiny.

What are you thoughts Arq? uKER? Bleed? Anyone else?

Edit: I do see a bit of a highlight running down the side of the pants, maybe that's enough?

Impressive work, man!
Right off the bat I don't see anything wrong with it.

Maybe make the motion a but smoother.
The right shoulder jolts a bit when the right foot steps away.
But nothing big.

Congratulations, man!

EDIT: There's also a bit of skin coming through the left lower leg on the pants and there's still the shadow on the shoe la_luna mentioned when the right foot steps away.

At first glance I wasn't bothered by the color.
Maybe when seen to the other characters it will probably need some lighting and coloring tweaks.
Especially if the final renders aren't made in the same lightstage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

This is just about done once you get rid of the shadow on the foot, the spike on the waste of the pants and skin poking through.

Love the shoulder movement. Really nice work! Also nice job on adding in the forearm twist. The only thing I might just ask the question about so that we can decide now or not before you do final renders...Do we want the pants to be this dark where you can't see any folds in the cloth? Shouldn't the pants have just a little bit of grey in them? Or are we intentionally keeping the pants really dark to better hide the dynamic cloth not necessarily matching up? I realize in the original game the pants are almost flat black but I just want to get your opinion on how you think it should be. If we are basing Liu's pants off of how Bleed's Scorp/Sub look then the pants should have lighting/highlights on them. Especially if we are saying the pants are somewhat shiny.

What are you thoughts Arq? uKER? Bleed? Anyone else?

Edit: I do see a bit of a highlight running down the side of the pants, maybe that's enough?

to tell the trusth, that's not the real color of the final pants, I will have to change it to blue, or red, or green or some other color for the sake of making the pallete and change the pant color for each player, I don't really think I will give bleed's texture pant wich is kind of black-grey jeans stuff, because if you google KUNG FU PANTS, you'll notice they are always like this thin light fabric, and you can see that too in bruce lee's movies.

the shadow on the foot is because I'm using target spot light, and that is where the hot spot ends, I'll increase the size.

the spike on the waist I just have to add a turbosmooth to pants

the skin popping on leg can easly be fixed in photoshop but since I'll have to simulate the cloth dynamics again I hope it get's fixed..

about the pants so dark, well as you said in the sprites they are just black... but of course I want some detail to be seen.

other thing is that I think bleed's pant texture looks great on scorpion because he comes from netherrealm.. so he should be like faded, old, dirty and all that stuff...

and finally I don't think all the fighters should look like the had the had the same outfit designer:bird:

or went to the same outfit store LOL

Am I the only one who thinks that the pants are looking a bit too light (talking about weight), as if they were made of silk?
Especially the crotch looks too flappy.
If making it a bit more rigid is not a pain in the rear I'd say you could give it a go.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
For all the small details you have troubles with arq_ that can be done with simple PS interventions frame by frame I'll gladly do it.
I alredy did something like that for Bleeds Scorpion (painting neck area for skull fatality)

Mind blown.
Simply perfect.

EDIT: I still think the right shoulder is jumping a bit too much when the right foot moves away, but maybe it's just me.

Last edited: