Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I thought we were cutting the number of frames to whatever the original sprites were? It might look weird unless we do.

For instance, if the original crouch-uppercut was only 5 frames, just use the ones that match those and time them accordingly. Unless I'm forgetting something of course. It doesn't have to look smoother, trying to fit all the frames from the 3d model into Mugen may end up making things look like they're running in fast motion.

I think it's very important to have all the artwork and animations done for this as soon as is humanly possible because we might get shutdown.

RatonMalo still has a huge part with the stages.

I just know of two companies that had a cease and desist order against some Indie games.

One was terror dome and there's a streets of rage 4 I think.

I don't remember why, maybe they tried to make money off it or something. But we aren't doing that, it's all free for free, or fan art. It may just be if it's too good and they notice it, I don't know.

I had the chance to work at Midway twice, but didn't get the job sadly. In the interview, one of the leads even said I would be good on the MK team, but they found someone better I guess.

I thought we were cutting the number of frames to whatever the original sprites were? It might look weird unless we do.

For instance, if the original crouch-uppercut was only 5 frames, just use the ones that match those and time them accordingly. Unless I'm forgetting something of course. It doesn't have to look smoother, trying to fit all the frames from the 3d model into Mugen may end up making things look like they're running in fast motion.

The fact that it will be 3D and HD animations might make it look weird if it was the same number of frames as it was in the arcades. Like Bleed stated earlier, the animations can go at any necessary speed. Making the animations with a small number of frames will make it look like a stop-motion animation, rather than a smooth life-like animation. The original game was supposed to look somewhat like filmed actors. Also remember that they had to use a small number of frames due to memory limitations on arcade machines.

I think it's very important to have all the artwork and animations done for this as soon as is humanly possible because we might get shutdown.

I kind of agree, but at the same time there are many Mortal Kombat Mugen projects out there, so I try to be an optimist, and not worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
The initial plan was for 60fps, like the last gif I posted.

You take the old sprites and place a key frame at the right times. You can let the computer create the tweens from there and you tweak the animation to not look so robotic.

If a sprite from the old games lasted for 4 tics, we can have 4 frames each lasting 1 tic. You still hit the key pose but with a few extra to smooth it out.

We can also go like you say, just put what they had. Maybe we should take a vote on it.

That gif is slow compared to the one in UMK3, because I used video reference for it. It's for my own character, and I'm not afraid to change stuff around, It's not like this project.

I took a dumbbell and did the animation then used it as reference when animating.

Bleed and I were talking about this. Bleed was saying that it will look kind of robotic looking if we stick with the original frames since I think Mugen works at 52 frames per second..that's alot of xtra frames to deal with so we've gotta fill the animation accordingly which will probably mean more frames of animation than the original game had.

The upside is that this could really make the game look better than ever. I really wonder what MK done in the old style with filmed actors would look like at 60 fps. Could be awesome. The key here is to try and match it up with old gameplay given the extra fps. We've got a great team, we will figure it out.

@MikeyMK: You make a good point, but I don't think they would turn out like Goro did for example. We might have to make a comparison of the two styles in-engine to determine which is best. We might actually need a middle ground hybrid of them in order to get it just right - using the same number of frames may look bad but using all of them in the same time period as the originals (which it would need to preserve gameplay) could result in Scorpion's animated gif above running at ten times the speed it does in a web browser.

I don't think you can go wrong with using the original frame counts for each animation, but I definitely get what you're saying and it's absolutely something to keep in mind when everyone starts putting the pieces together.

Edit- Oh snap, why doesn't everyone just post while I'm typing something LOL. Gimmie a sec to read up.

Edit 2- Ok. The original MK arcades ran at 53Hz (fps), and I'm pretty sure Mugen runs at 60 but I can't remember so don't quote me on that. There is a way to make it better looking, as the arcades didn't run through all say, four sprites of a High Kick in a fraction of a second - it held each frame for a little while. For each hold they had, we can instill the new frames.

Say Liu Kang's standing fireball has 5 different frames of animation. It takes 3 seconds for the move to go from start to finish. That's ~159 frames in the span of those 3 seconds. The 5 different frames of that animation are stretched across the 159 total frame time period. If the first change-from-stance sprite lasts 50 frames, that leaves 49 frames we can fill with new 3d model data before the next major frame change is called. Wow that sounded a lot easier to explain in my head than it did typing it out, lol.

So in reality, it can go either way; some moves may need frames cut from the 3d animations, while with others the 3d models might end up needing more frames depending on how many there are in total, in-game.

Last edited:
Here's what I'm using for the UMK3 model. I coded this character for my own play style, which is very different from the classic games and what Interloko is doing.

I'm using those 3D animations and just replacing the sprites. I don't have many in yet, only the ones I've posted. Stand, walk, get hit, axe.

I could post it if you guys want to see more or less what MK1 would look like, but like I said there isn't much in there. I have to add a small bit of code to allow the preview.

Link is in the video description, and this file is using just the classic and edited sprites.

It plays like a mix of MK9, DOA, VF, Tekken.... and a bunch of ideas I just come up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfAfqGwvdwE&feature=channel_video_title

So, Bleed, the characters you have done or are working on (Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Scorpion, etc, from your blog), will you be using those when we get to MKII HD and UMK3 HD?

So, Bleed, the characters you have done or are working on (Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Scorpion, etc, from your blog), will you be using those when we get to MKII HD and UMK3 HD?

OMG!! UMK3 in HD! :DDD

Oh yeah Sexxxy UMK3 Mileena in HD 8)

If I have the model made and it fits for one of those projects, then sure. The animations would need to be re done, because for my stuff, I'll do it how ever it feels good IMO, and that tends to deviate from the original.

If I have the model made and it fits for one of those projects, then sure. The animations would need to be re done, because for my stuff, I'll do it how ever it feels good IMO, and that tends to deviate from the original.

Nice! Are the models you used in the videos the 3D Scorpion models? It looks like you had some custom animations there, like the backflip.

Personally I don't believe that would happen, just my opinion, but either way I don't think we should concern ourselves with it. If it gets shut down then so be it, we tried at least, but having it on our minds just adds unnecessary stress. There's no precedent of fan MKs getting stopped so I'd really be surprised if it happens. I say let's just keep positive and take our time to get it right.

Also, I've grabbed all the files you sent me now too, you did a really great job on them man! :)
It makes creating the UI so much easier

Last edited:
The videos of Scorpion on my youtube channel are using edited low res sprites, which I made in Photoshop and Flash. I haven't posted much on the 3D stuff yet, only some videos showing how I make them.

I want to do a little more before posting a video, so I can at least do a basic combo.

Personally I don't believe that would happen, just my opinion, but either way I don't think we should concern ourselves with it. If it gets shut down then so be it, we tried at least, but having it on our minds just adds unnecessary stress. There's no precedent of fan MKs getting stopped so I'd really be surprised if it happens. I say let's just keep positive and take our time to get it right.

Also, I've grabbed all the files you sent me now too, you did a really great job on them man! :)
It makes creating the UI so much easier

Yeah you are probably right. Just to confirm I sent u the following:

Bios font.
Scoreboard font.
MK vs. Screen Text in dos format.
MK HD champ metallic badge.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'll be focusing on the remaining pit bodies.

Glad it is helping you out.

Here's one closer to the timing in UMK3, hits the apex at tic 7, holds till 21 and recovers after 31.

AxeUppercut_v2_b_fast.gif

k so next I'll work on the MK1 model.

The Scorpion Anim looks amazing, IMO really professional job.

The only thing i think you have to fix is the front arm when the arm is up, the arm don't collide well with the cloth.

But the general movement is perfect.

Kind of hard to say that he's leaking this when this thread, that has all of those pictures in it, is openly public.