Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I think this one looks more like the classic UI, so it would be my choice. The one RatonMalo created is more in line with the arcade collection, and while it looks good, it's not like the original.

We aren't matching everything 100% but if we can get a little closer, it wins out for me.

It's a pain to say, because I see how much work was put in to it. At the same time, I think Ratonmalo has plenty of work to do on the stages. Because of that I believe we can spare some room for another person working on the UI.

This is just me, I don't know how the others feel about it.

I can't find his work . .

Actually for some reason I remember a yellowish UI, but now I can't find it. Maybe I've been playing the collection too much lately..., my mistake.

I found some others that are the normal gray, but they seem too strong with the shading, so the new examples still look closer to the original. I had to lean in to the screen to notice which one was old and which was new.

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/25235-Mortal-Kombat-HD-Remix-with-MUGEN/page27

Last edited:
Dammit, Jarvis. Could you use the hide tags? You totally ruined Sub-Zero's ending for me. :(

I don't want to shit on or downplay badmouse work (which is very good to say the least) but I find jarvis653
stuff much more in the spirit of the original MK game. I'd choose his style in a heartbeat. It's simple,
true(er) to the original (which I love) and at the same time smooth and crisp, just like I always imagined
MK1 HD to be.

Oh and jarvis, if it's between stretching the image or adding elements, I'm all for adding elements it they
fit with the rest, and judging by your insert coin screen example, they fit just fine. Also, I like the first high score
screen better, in this type of stuff I think the less space between the columns the better, it's easier to tell which
info belongs to which row.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I can appreciate where badmouse is going with his design. It's really a different design philosophy. It's an issue we will continue to struggle with somewhat as we develop this. One philosophy seeks to simply maintain exactly what has come before it (Jarvis example) but in HD. However there are many who are of the mind to improve and explore artistically what never was. I'm all about improvement which allows for a certain degree of creativity. The issue that I personally have with the improvement methodology (Badmouse version) is that how far can we take it before it transforms into something else entirely? The gritty design is cool and certainly an improvement, but I think it deviates too far from the original designs. Badmouse version is great, but in comparison with Jarvis version it doesn't feel like Mortal Kombat to me anymore. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Thanks so much for the compliments. I agree that while the previous UI can be appealing in its own way, IMO it's taken the wrong approach, and that's trying to modernize it. It just doesn't feel MK1. I've taken great care to match my work as close as I can to the original, and at the end of the day that's the goal of this project. For this to be a good HD update it needs to keep the integrity of the original game.

Bleed, Calactyte, Interloko, anyone else on the project, I'd really value your input on this topic and to let me know if you guys would like me to continue working. Please refer to the previous page to check out what I've done, thanks in advance.

I want to add some crit to the the text formating of the sub(which I did in the Photoshop file) it looks like some of the spacing between letters is off and apostrophes are missing on sub-zero's ending. Did you pull the ending text straight from the PSD or retyped it? I can't remember if I formated it correctly in the original or not.

some progress: i grab the pit/pit bottom full image and made a template stage from it.
now setting a variable you can fight at bottom or top of pit.
i need to fix the movement of the camera when fighting at pit bottom, the camera of pit moves right after some tweaks

I got it. My idea was refresh a bit it with more details but keeping the original design.

I want the best for the project so if you now think is better the exactly design of Arcade is fine for me.
It's a shame have wasted my time on it. I think will happen the same with the Stages Im making.
Anyway i will do my part with the stages.

No bad feeling, It's ok.

Ok cool pit still isn't finished as you know since I will provide you a PSD. I'm guessing its not too hard to transfer new stuff in though.

some progress: i grab the pit/pit bottom full image and made a template stage from it.
now setting a variable you can fight at bottom or top of pit.
i need to fix the movement of the camera when fighting at pit bottom, the camera of pit moves right after some tweaks

Ok cool pit still isn't finished as you know since I will provide you a PSD. I'm guessing its not too hard to transfer new stuff in though.

Hi Jarvis,

Can you provide Interloko with PSDs. If file size is an issue, you can use http://yousendit.com. PM him for his email address.

no problem, take your time. i'll be doing other things these days if pit is not ready yet.
is not hard to add new things btw.
remember to make a separate layer for front spikes

@calactyte: i sent him a PM with my e-mail :p

Thanks so much for the positive feedback guys, means a lot! I'm really happy my work will be put to use, and I'll address all criticisms to ensure everyone's satisfied with it :)

I want to add some crit to the the text formating of the sub(which I did in the Photoshop file) it looks like some of the spacing between letters is off and apostrophes are missing on sub-zero's ending. Did you pull the ending text straight from the PSD or retyped it? I can't remember if I formated it correctly in the original or not.

I just pasted it as you had it in the PSD, I did notice some of it was off so I have put it on my to do list. Just something about the text, I'd really like your input on how it could be improved with effects because I'm not entirely satisfied with it. Like I said the bevel effect wasn't really working with my backgrounds, maybe I could send you just the backgrounds themselves and you could play around with how to match it best to them? Let me know. The main thing is that we keep consistency in that area.

It's your show now Jarvis, do whatever you feel looks good. You strike me as a guy who knows PhotoShop very well so just use your artistic instincts on the text.

I'm going to get back to focusing on the pit. Still a lot of work to do there. Then ill be doing the monk stage.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback guys, means a lot! I'm really happy my work will be put to use, and I'll address all criticisms to ensure everyone's satisfied with it :)

I just pasted it as you had it in the PSD, I did notice some of it was off so I have put it on my to do list. Just something about the text, I'd really like your input on how it could be improved with effects because I'm not entirely satisfied with it. Like I said the bevel effect wasn't really working with my backgrounds, maybe I could send you just the backgrounds themselves and you could play around with how to match it best to them? Let me know. The main thing is that we keep consistency in that area.

It's your show now Jarvis, do whatever you feel looks good. You strike me as a guy who knows PhotoShop very well so just use your artistic instincts on the text.

I'm going to get back to focusing on the pit. Still a lot of work to do there. Then ill be doing the monk stage.

All good, just thought you might've wanted to keep involved with the text, I'm fine to do it myself though. Also, would it be okay if you send me whatever you have of the in-game UI like lifebars etc. ? Just want to check it over and see if everything is of relative size. You've done a really nice job on them by the way.

One more thing, could you please send me the title screen you made, since that's got some small fonts in it too? It looks incredible so I wouldn't be touching anything else on it other than those if need be.

Last edited:
Here's a new one for the UMK3 model.
AxeUppercut_v2_b.gif

Not related to this project, but it's good practice for when I start animating. I still don't have much experience with animation.

I see the shoulder snapping, but I'm having a hard time smoothing it out...

All good, just thought you might've wanted to keep involved with the text, I'm fine to do it myself though. Also, would it be okay if you send me whatever you have of the in-game UI like lifebars etc. ? Just want to check it over and see if everything is of relative size. You've done a really nice job on them by the way.

One more thing, could you please send me the title screen you made, since that's got some small fonts in it too? It looks incredible so I wouldn't be touching anything else on it other than those if need be.

Glad you got your big break Jarvis653 ! ! Hope you'll do your best and keep on going ! !
And badmouse, dont worry, just keep on help and maybe someday you'll have your big break . .
:D

Here's a new one for the UMK3 model.
AxeUppercut_v2_b.gif

Not related to this project, but it's good practice for when I start animating. I still don't have much experience with animation.

I see the shoulder snapping, but I'm having a hard time smoothing it out...

Sick ! ! B.t.w. ? Are you making MK1 and MK3 at the same time ? ? And what MK you're making ? MK3 or UMK3?