Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Pure awesomeness. Are you guys planning on doing MK2 or MK3? I would prefer to have one of those instead of MK1.

It is just really you . .
:DD ! !

It looks fine on my phone but my led monitor is a bit brighter and the yellow bodies on the pillars shadow is a lot darker than the pillar, maybe brighten your screen and you will see what I'm talking about.

It looks fine on my phone but my led monitor is a bit brighter and the yellow bodies on the pillars shadow is a lot darker than the pillar, maybe brighten your screen and you will see what I'm talking about.

lol! The power of bright light ! ! haha ! !

That screen shot sells it for me. Looks like an actor filmed in HD. Beautiful work Bleed. I need to learn how you are making cloth folds stand out so well..is it in the texturing work or more about the modelling?

I fixed the problem with the shading, looks like a bug in max with the skin wrap modifier. I haven't forgotten about the straps on the shin guards.

ScorpMK1_wip20-1.jpg

It's a combination of the two really.

[Zbrush] sculpting
First, I model the folds in Zbrush and make sure you can tell what the big ones are on the silhouette. Put a flat black shader on it and rotate the model to make sure the major forms are recognizable.

Next I make the secondary folds, and I check their readability by changing my shaders in zbrush. Just try a bunch of different shaders, rotate the model and see if any detail becomes hard to see.

[Topogun / 3D coat]
For retopology, I cut the biggest folds in to the mesh, so they really stand out. Try to keep it In areas that don't bend much. Leave the rest of the folds to the normal map.

[Xnormal / Photoshop] texture baking, texture painting.

I add some shading to them on the texture map, using Ambient Occlusion and maybe a cavity map, paint by hand if you need to.

On the color map, I make the edges of different parts a little lighter or darker. Just so you can see a separation between the forms.

[3Danimation software] 3ds.max, maya, etc.

In the material shader, I'm mixing the Mental Ray Ambient Occlusion shader as a multiply layer, or what ever looks good in the diffuse color channel. Using a composite map.

Then I have a normal map on it, strength set to around 200 in 3ds.max. If you set it higher than 100, the details show up more, but don't push it too far because it'll look too obvious.

The light rig helps also

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the info Bleed! Seriously your work is incredible.

I never thought to use a composite map with AO. I'll try that. I'm pretty new to retopology but I know Topogun very well now.

I don't do too much character animation because I really need to learn skin weighting better. I guess retopoing goes a long way in easing the pains of that process. I'm impressed that your scoropion doesn't seem to have an unatural pinching in the joints.

I should probably start exporting normal maps, but I usually just use decimation master instead since my objects are static. Need to learn how to produce a cavity map, is that an Xnormal thing or zbrush thing?

Anyway, I'll keep practicing to see if I can get to the point where maybe I can do a simpler character such as Shang Tsung. I've got hair and fur down pretty well so I can make his beard and mustached look good.

last night i was working on the template character and the engine. i need to add some reactions, like when oponent blocks 6 hits in a row is pushed back and stuff like that. i think i'll do more of it tonight =D

today i've added some "engine" graphics, like fight animation, select screen, name in lifebar, win message...
i've reduced the lifebar's name to 70% to match arcade size and it looks like this:
lifebar.jpg

Scorpion looks real good in that latest pose!

BTW, what happened to the grain in the empty bar for the lifebars that calactyte put in to make it mach the original more?

I'm thinking the grain is no longer visible since the size has been reduced to 70%. To me, I don't miss it, but if it's bugging you lets keep that on the running list of stuff we can fix at the end.

Scorpion looks real good in that latest pose!

BTW, what happened to the grain in the empty bar for the lifebars that calactyte put in to make it mach the original more?

calactyte in the latest file you sent me of the mk main screen (the red one) is only present a jpg file, not a psd.
can you send me the latest version again? and the lifebar too just in case ;)

hahaha, that put a big grin on my face >D

We can make it even better in the end, as we start putting all the parts together, matching the lighting and stuff.

Last edited: