Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

No problem, I understand what you mean too. By the way, I checked out the fonts, great work! Only a few things here and there that could be improved, but I won't bring them up at this stage.

Also, the TYM pics that tremor posted are just the original art from the game with a different texture. They need to be totally remade.

Ah, I was thinking he recreated it. Thanks for clearing that up.

ok update includes skeletons and Ed Boon body

the_pit_HD_e.jpg

This is awesome btw. Is it drawn as high def?

Nope, I'd took the original anvil, and filtered it with noise, blur and lighting effects, and added some shadows . .

The stone is completely renewed . . I created a project same as the size of the stone and filled it with black background and filtered i with clouds, and lighting effects, and changed it's Hue and Saturation . .

IMO the props are good but didn't fit with the rest of the project. we need something more realistic

some minutes ago i sent a PM to Borg117 ;)

Yeah, I know . . This is my first time making textures . . I find it more difficult than manipulating photos . . lol ! ! :D

the_pit_HD_e.jpg

Woah! awesome ! ! I wonder what's the reaction of Ed Boon when he see this . . ?

B.T.W. i lol'd at the cow . . !

Good job man, as always. Few things if I may...
As someone already said, left hand on your previous body looks off, it should be a bit higher.
As for Ed Boon, highlights on his face are too strong imo, especially since he is placed on a rather
darkish pit bottom/pillars, his face sticks out too much.
Also the shadows in general don't make no sense to me, but that's ok since the original game
also had lighting and shadow nonsense as far as stages and characters go.
Don't get me wrong calactyte, your Pit overall looks really really good.

Here are the original bodies scaled up, just for comparison:

208h0ra.jpg
23rwwef.jpg

la_luna is right . . Thee highlight of Ed's face is too strong for being down the pit . . . .

By the way . . I got bored lately, I decide to have fun . . So I decided to attempt making the Test Your Might Arena. . Though the result is not good . .

Here it is:

testyourmightarena.jpg

Ok another update. I toned down Boon's face highlight..but I want a bit of moonlight to shine on it even if that's unrealistic. Let me know if you guys still think it's too much. Also fixed the arm position.

the_pit_HD_e.jpg

Ok another update. I toned down Boon's face highlight..but I want a bit of moonlight to shine on it even if that's unrealistic. Let me know if you guys still think it's too much. Also fixed the arm position.

the_pit_HD_e.jpg

That's good for me . . ! B.t.w. what program you're using ? ?

Little update on my progress, I've got most of my version of the UI completed. I just made a new texture which is being used on the majority of the UI, including the select screen here:

mk1hdssv2.png

Would just like some feedback basically, before I throw it over mostly everything else. I think it's a lot better than the last one which was too distracting. As far as the select screen goes, I fixed up the dragon's background and made him pop a little more. Let me know what you guys think, I'm happy with it though. All other criticisms welcome too.

Also, Calacyte could you please send me the MK1 font you made? It'd make it easier putting the text in, right now I can only copy what you've got in the PSD, can't modify anything like spacing or size etc. Would appreciate it.

After I'm finished I'll just give you guys everything I've done and you can choose to take it or leave it. Then onto the audio.

Nice seeing the pit getting more fleshed out.

BTW, the arm on the yellow suited warrior in the pit is too low if you compare it to the original sprite. That's what made it look odd to me before.... on the original it's above the chin on the HD version it's jutting from the middle of the head. It's still incorrect even now.

I like the skeletons at the bottom!

The test your might looks good too although the sky looks a little too simple. The things I would change about it are the sky and the obelisks (the small pillars with the squares on them next to the flags) are lacking detail and could use some more stone grain texture on them.. but other than that it looked pretty good to me.

Last edited:
The foreground for your character select looks good. Portraits way too pixelated and i hope should not make it into final version, sorry, but you need to use brush tool too, right now they looks like original ones with filter, not true HD.

For the Pit: Boon's pants looks too bright, the left hand of another guy looks weird and skeletons heads looks too blurry. Cow shadow is funny, never saw that thing in original game.

For Test your Might, i think guys need to finish Warrior's Shrine first.

la_luna is right . . Thee highlight of Ed's face is too strong for being down the pit . . . .

By the way . . I got bored lately, I decide to have fun . . So I decided to attempt making the Test Your Might Arena. . Though the result is not good . .

Here it is:

Most of that is from the cancelled MKHDAK. You've just changed the sky, moon and floor and put some more contrast.

The foreground for your character select looks good. Portraits way too pixelated and i hope should not make it into final version, sorry, but you need to use brush tool too, right now they looks like original ones with filter, not true HD.

The portraits are just in there for the mock up, they will be remade by Bleed I presume or someone else here.

The test your might looks good too although the sky looks a little too simple. The things I would change about it are the sky and the obelisks (the small pillars with the squares on them next to the flags) are lacking detail and could use some more stone grain texture on them.. but other than that it looked pretty good to me.

Done putting clouds on it . . Kinda hard figuring it out my own way, so the results are bad . . Well, I made two versions of TYM w/ clouds.

And b,t,w the square pillars are now texturized . .

Here they are:
Foggy cloud TYM
tymarenafoggycloud.jpg

and Toony cloud TYM
tymarenatoonycloud.jpg

Most of that is from the cancelled MKHDAK. You've just changed the sky, moon and floor and put some more contrast.

Well you're right . . ! :D . . But they're not only just being copied . . They are enhanced a lil bit . . I added a stone-ish texture to the pillars, the floor is replaced, concrete texture added to the stone table (now more realistic than the original photo) , and the lightings are different from the original MKHD . .

Last edited:
Nice seeing the pit getting more fleshed out.

BTW, the arm on the yellow suited warrior in the pit is too low if you compare it to the original sprite. That's what made it look odd to me before.... on the original it's above the chin on the HD version it's jutting from the middle of the head. It's still incorrect even now.

I like the skeletons at the bottom!

Ok fixed pants of boon and yellow soldier arm.

the_pit_HD_e.jpg

Would just like some feedback basically, before I throw it over mostly everything else.
Texture is nice, dragon is perfect imo, overall it's very true to the originaly and I like it. I wouldn't change a single pixel on this baby. Good job!!

Ok fixed pants of boon and yellow soldier arm.
Yeah it looks better now, but I think you forgot to correct the arm on that guy on the left pillar.
The skull(s) in the corner(s) could be a little sharper, but it's really a minor thing.
The Pit is getting better and better!! Can't wait to uppercut someone on those nasty spikes :)

the other silos looks fantastic but i don't like this one ("barrillette")
Yeah, I think it's too big / too thick for a kite. And why not add a string that is attached to it?

Question for Interloko,
Since I never actually played or used MUGEN, how well does MUGEN behave with HD fighters (in 720p)
on a low end computers, or do you need a beast to run it smoothly?
(by low end I mean something like AMD Athlon X2, ATi Radeon 4000 series, WIN XP 2 Gigs of RAM)

Wait, weren't the ninja bodies only on the first and third columns in the pit? I don't know which version this pic is from, arcade or SNES.

pit.jpg