Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Ok so I'm going to put down all my general thoughts on this project.

Basically, I wanted to do this exact same thing a while ago, a fan-made MK HD. I was too busy/lazy then to try to bring other people together on it, but imagine my excitement when I saw that now you guys have taken the initiative to actually start it. Not only that, it's on a great start - it's got an engine, a programmer, and capable graphics artists. I think this has got a good chance of getting completed, but I'd like to do whatever I can to ensure it does and that it's the best it can be.

Firstly my thoughts on the artistic direction -
I think the most important thing is keeping true to the source. That doesn't just mean that all the art should look like the original, but also follow the original artists' intent which was to make it realistic. That's a bit of a balancing act, and when recreating low resolution stuff like this, you're relying a lot on your own interpretation. Without some guidelines, it can be easy to confuse yourself about what direction you should be taking.

So to make it simple, consider these questions whenever you're remaking assets from the game -
* Does it look like the original?
* Does it look real?
* Are you satisfied with it?

For stuff like backgrounds, I think that respecting the importantance of lighting is crucial to making them realistic and looking good in HD. Calacyte has been doing a great job, and when it comes to things like repetive bodies on the Pit, he is going about it the right way - the bodies shouldn't be changed up because that wouldn't be true to the source. Things like that should be kept just the way they are, it all adds to the charm.

Anyway, my overall opinion - the end result should look as if MK1 was released in HD back in 1992. Except with the awesome 3D work that Bleed has been doing.

The last thing I want to talk about is some organization - I've seen a lot of great fan projects fall through simply because of a lack of focus. Bad time management, poor organization and communication can all lead to that. So I'd like to help you guys with this - how would you feel about having your own forum with all parts of the project in their respective threads, where everyone can show their progress and give each other feedback? I think having a dedicated place for it can encourage continuous work, attract other people that can help, and build some hype. I'm happy to set it all up, so please let me know if you're keen on this idea.

That's it for now, I'll be posting some more of my work soon but in the meantime I'd appreciate some replies. I'm still interested in doing the music and sound fx too, so I'll make an update on that in my next post.

Whoopse that is the size I've been building everything at ...2700 px wide.

i was wrong, there are 8 different silo :p
i forgot the ufo and cow

277.png
284t.png
283nw.png
282ni.png
281s.png
280a.png
279c.png
278x.png

i'd reinstalled the OS in my netbook :(
i'll be installing some apps later.
friday in the desktop computer i made some test of physics using the umk3 values (for 400x254) and adding *(screenheight/254). it looks good but i'll try to get the mk1 velocities.
the "*(screenheight/254)" thing convert the value if we use another resolution but not the gravity used in jumps, so if someone uses other resolution must change this value in a file.

@Bleed: no problem, i had some problems and i haven't finished some basic stuff yet
@Sub-Zera: i'll make you a reference for palace gates later. i'm not sure if 2700 is the right width, also 2700 is not the actual width of throne room since walls (2700 px) moves at different speed (slower) than floor

Thanks for posting the Silos interloko! Some of them I've never seen.

i was wrong, there are 8 different silo :p
i forgot the ufo and cow

277.png
284t.png
283nw.png
282ni.png
281s.png
280a.png
279c.png
278x.png

i'd reinstalled the OS in my netbook :(
i'll be installing some apps later.
friday in the desktop computer i made some test of physics using the umk3 values (for 400x254) and adding *(screenheight/254). it looks good but i'll try to get the mk1 velocities.
the "*(screenheight/254)" thing convert the value if we use another resolution but not the gravity used in jumps, so if someone uses other resolution must change this value in a file.

@Bleed: no problem, i had some problems and i haven't finished some basic stuff yet
@Sub-Zera: i'll make you a reference for palace gates later. i'm not sure if 2700 is the right width, also 2700 is not the actual width of throne room since walls (2700 px) moves at different speed (slower) than floor

Basically, I wanted to do this exact same thing a while ago, a fan-made MK HD. I was too busy/lazy then to try to bring other people together on it, but imagine my excitement when I saw that now you guys have taken the initiative to actually start it. Not only that, it's on a great start - it's got an engine, a programmer, and capable graphics artists. I think this has got a good chance of getting completed, but I'd like to do whatever I can to ensure it does and that it's the best it can be.

I think the most important thing is keeping true to the source. That doesn't just mean that all the art should look like the original, but also follow the original artists' intent which was to make it realistic. That's a bit of a balancing act, and when recreating low resolution stuff like this, you're relying a lot on your own interpretation. Without some guidelines, it can be easy to confuse yourself about what direction you should be taking.

So to make it simple, consider these questions whenever you're remaking assets from the game -
* Does it look real?

For stuff like backgrounds, I think that respecting the importantance of lighting is crucial to making them realistic and looking good in HD. Calacyte has been doing a great job, and when it comes to things like repetive bodies on the Pit, he is going about it the right way - the bodies shouldn't be changed up because that wouldn't be true to the source. Things like that should be kept just the way they are, it all adds to the charm.

Anyway, my overall opinion - the end result should look as if MK1 was released in HD back in 1992. Except with the awesome 3D work that Bleed has been doing.

The last thing I want to talk about is some organization - I've seen a lot of great fan projects fall through simply because of a lack of focus. Bad time management, poor organization and communication can all lead to that. So I'd like to help you guys with this - how would you feel about having your own forum with all parts of the project in their respective threads, where everyone can show their progress and give each other feedback? I think having a dedicated place for it can encourage continuous work, attract other people that can help, and build some hype. I'm happy to set it all up, so please let me know if you're keen on this idea.

That's it for now, I'll be posting some more of my work soon but in the meantime I'd appreciate some replies. I'm still interested in doing the music and sound fx too, so I'll make an update on that in my next post.

I agree with most of your points, especially a separate forum area for the project, but not "the end result should look as if MK1 was released in HD back in 1992." I believe the end result should be: What would Ed Boon/John Tobias have done if they had the tools of 2011 back in 1992 (but not knowledge of their future actions/decisions, aka MKII - MK9). Ergo, they only used repeat bodies because of space limitations in memory, not because they wanted it that way.

jarvis653 said:
the bodies shouldn't be changed up because that wouldn't be true to the source. Things like that should be kept just the way they are, it all adds to the charm.

Ergo, they only used repeat bodies because of space limitations in memory, not because they wanted it that way.

Both are very valid points. I say create what you can be proud of! If you want repeat bodies, ok. After initial release. You can change the bodies with 'Ultimate Super MK HD REMIX 2.0 Challenger edition.'

Wonderful guys! Even though I don't have the skill and talent, I can say that those you work hard on were great! ! As I look on those pics , I feel that you're better than the MKTeam even if it's only a M.U.G.E.N. . . Good job guys! Keep it going! And God bless you all!

Music/ Sound FX (If anyone can clean the original Arcade sounds or make new ones that sound almost exactly like the original)

And by the way! calactyte , maybe this site can help . . http://www.vgmusic.com/music/other/miscellaneous/arcade/index-classic.html scroll down to locate Mortal Kombat from 1 to 4 . .

Both are very valid points. I say create what you can be proud of! If you want repeat bodies, ok. After initial release. You can change the bodies with 'Ultimate Super MK HD REMIX 2.0 Challenger edition.'

It'd probably be worth archiving all the unflattened source files and models just in case.

Since calactyte mentioned that T.Y.M. props are still needed, I tried to make some . .

Here's the pic picture of the steel or anvil . .
anvilmetallic.jpg

And here's the broken anvil . .
anvillmetallic2.jpg

and the rock. . completely renewed . .
stonetex.jpg

I know it's not good, but this is my best for now . .

* Does it look real?

Ok, jarvis653, I see your point. However, I don't quite agree with the separate thread idea, because in this thread, all of the people on this project are on the same page, and it would be difficult to have to keep track on multiple threads for the same project.
I appreciate your input though. :)

I agree with MikeMK, another forum would mean two places to post. Every so often we'll post a what we have and what we need list to keep anyone who wants to join in informed about what needs to be done.

I got a message from Borg117 saying he'd like to help some how, since we started doing something like this project a while back. He's still interested, so if we can get something for him to do, it would be awesome. Borg117 is one of the most talented mugen developers around. I asked him what he likes to work on and here's the list, he works in 2D and 3D.

- building stages out of sprites (the def files and color conversion), also lighting effects for stages can be added to increase the atmosphere
- projectiles. the sprites themselves, plus some additional effects can be added later in mugen itself, to add more atmosphere again
- AI coding. not sure if i can get the exact match of MK1 AI, but at least i can make it challenging and kinda human. also, if needed, i can bring up some ways to balance the characters overall
- maybe some advices on modelling/ textures/ stages etc.

Bleed he sounds like a superstar. He should post in here. A few comments back I posted a list of what we have vs. what we are needing. Perhaps he can connect with interloko too.

I got a message from Borg117 saying he'd like to help some how, since we started doing something like this project a while back. He's still interested, so if we can get something for him to do, it would be awesome. Borg117 is one of the most talented mugen developers around. I asked him what he likes to work on and here's the list, he works in 2D and 3D.

- building stages out of sprites (the def files and color conversion), also lighting effects for stages can be added to increase the atmosphere
- projectiles. the sprites themselves, plus some additional effects can be added later in mugen itself, to add more atmosphere again
- AI coding. not sure if i can get the exact match of MK1 AI, but at least i can make it challenging and kinda human. also, if needed, i can bring up some ways to balance the characters overall
- maybe some advices on modelling/ textures/ stages etc.

Ok, jarvis653, I see your point. However, I don't quite agree with the separate thread idea, because in this thread, all of the people on this project are on the same page, and it would be difficult to have to keep track on multiple threads for the same project.
I appreciate your input though. :)

I agree with MikeMK, another forum would mean two places to post. Every so often we'll post a what we have and what we need list to keep anyone who wants to join in informed about what needs to be done.

Ok guys that's fair enough, but just hear out my idea and if you still don't like it then I won't bring it up again.

Seperate forum split into threads like so:

Characters & Gameplay - In-game 3D models, projectile fx, and gameplay programming discussion

UI & Backgrounds - Self-explanatory, also includes minor 3D work needed for UI like character profiles, select screen and endings

Music & Sound Fx - Self-explanatory

So there'd really only be 3 threads to monitor, and considering how many threads people monitor on forums like these, I think it's easy to handle. There's a lot of work involved in the project, just one thread might be fine for now but I think it will get overwhelming eventually and separated ones would be better in the long run. They won't all be active all the time anyway.

Those threads don't even have to be open to the public, so you could regularly update on your progress with work that you might not want to show anyone outside the team. There could be a General Discussion thread that acts like this one, where you could just update now and then with finalized work that the community can give feedback on. Doesn't need to be constantly monitored.

Then just a Project thread that also doesn't need to be checked on, but just lists all the parts of the project, who is working on them, and that can keep being updated as needed. Good for keeping progress, and good for new members who'd like to contribute.

Anyway I honestly think it'd work out better, and you could just do a bit of promotion through Storms or something on TYM to let people know there is a dedicated MK HD forum up. I think with a set up like that it could draw in others to help on this project a lot easier, instead of one gigantic thread with a 100 pages to look through.

Let me know your final thoughts, like I said if it's definitely not something you want then I'll drop it, but please consider it at least. Like I said I'm happy to set it all up myself without taking time away from you guys.

Last edited:
Ok guys that's fair enough, but just hear out my idea and if you still don't like it then I won't bring it up again.

Characters & Gameplay - In-game 3D models, projectile fx, and gameplay programming discussion

UI & Backgrounds - Self-explanatory, also includes minor 3D work needed for UI like character profiles, select screen and endings

So there'd really only be 3 threads to monitor, and considering how many threads people monitor on forums like these, I think it's easy to handle. There's a lot of work involved in the project, just one thread might be fine for now but I think it will get overwhelming eventually and seperated ones would be better in the long run.

Those threads don't even have to be open to the public, so you could regularly update on your progress with work that you might not want to show anyone outside the team. There could be a General Discussion thread that acts like this one, where you could just update now and then with finalized work that the community can give feedback on. Doesn't need to be constantly monitored.

Then just a Project thread that also doesn't need to be checked on, but just lists all the parts of the project, who is working on them, and that can keep being updated as needed. Good for keeping progress, and good for new members who'd like to contribute.

Anyway I honestly think it'd work out better, and you could just do a bit of promotion through Storms or something on TYM to let people know there is a dedicated MK HD forum up. I think with a set up like that it could draw in others to help on this project a lot easier, instead of one gigantic thread with a 100 pages to look through.

Let me know your final thoughts, like I said if it's definitely not something you want then I'll drop it, but please consider it at least.

I see that you're very enthusiastic about this project. Anyway, I understand what you are saying, we'll consider it. For now though, at least until MK1 HD is complete, we'll stick with one thread. Once we progress into MKII and MK3, then we might use your multi-thread idea. That's my opinion, but let's see what the other people involved with this project think.

I see that you're very enthusiastic about this project. Anyway, I understand what you are saying, we'll consider it. For now though, at least until MK1 HD is complete, we'll stick with one thread. Once we progress into MKII and MK3, then we might use your multi-thread idea. That's my opinion, but let's see what the other people involved with this project think.

Well yeah of course I'm enthusiastic about it :)
I won't keep talking at length about the project though, they're just my thoughts and ideas that I wanted to lay down, so I'll just let my work speak for me from here on in. Whenever you want to get something like that going though just let me know and it's done.

Bleed he sounds like a superstar. He should post in here. A few comments back I posted a list of what we have vs. what we are needing. Perhaps he can connect with interloko too.
yes, he is a very talented guy, he is making a great new mk game too ;)
i'll contact him

1- building stages out of sprites (the def files and color conversion), also lighting effects for stages can be added to increase the atmosphere
2- projectiles. the sprites themselves, plus some additional effects can be added later in mugen itself, to add more atmosphere again
3- AI coding. not sure if i can get the exact match of MK1 AI, but at least i can make it challenging and kinda human. also, if needed, i can bring up some ways to balance the characters overall
4- maybe some advices on modelling/ textures/ stages etc.
1- for me it's ok if he can make the stages.
2- about projectiles he may talk with MickeyMK, maybe they can interact each other and get the best possible result
3- the AI of MK1 is not that hard to replicate (i think), but maybe we can a smarter AI using the difficult seetings. default AI = arcade style
4- it's ok, he may talk with the "BG guys" then to know what they are missing/need help

about the new forum idea, i'm with MickeyMK, this project is a remake and there aren't too much to discuss. maybe when we release the game we need to create a new thread (or forum) for bugs reports and feedback

This is awesome btw. Is it drawn as high def?

Since calactyte mentioned that T.Y.M. props are still needed, I tried to make some . .

Here's the pic picture of the steel or anvil . .
anvilmetallic.jpg

And here's the broken anvil . .
anvillmetallic2.jpg

and the rock. . completely renewed . .
stonetex.jpg

I know it's not good, but this is my best for now . .

I see what you are saying but as of now we have, I think 8 total people contributing to this project. I think at this stage we run the risk of splintering communications with such a small group.

MK1 is very simple and as of now everyone knows where to go if they are interested in contributing.

So there'd really only be 3 threads to monitor, and considering how many threads people monitor on forums like these, I think it's easy to handle. There's a lot of work involved in the project, just one thread might be fine for now but I think it will get overwhelming eventually and separated ones would be better in the long run. They won't all be active all the time anyway.

Let me know your final thoughts, like I said if it's definitely not something you want then I'll drop it, but please consider it at least. Like I said I'm happy to set it all up myself without taking time away from you guys.

I see what you are saying but as of now we have, I think 8 total people contributing to this project. I think at this stage we run the risk of splintering communications with such a small group.

MK1 is very simple and as of now everyone knows where to go if they are interested in contributing.

No problem, I understand what you mean too. By the way, I checked out the fonts, great work! Only a few things here and there that could be improved, but I won't bring them up at this stage.

Also, the TYM pics that tremor posted are just the original art from the game with a different texture. They need to be totally remade.