Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Wait, why do I not see any bodies there? All I see is the background itself.

Edit: Nevermind, I see them now.

Are you guys gonna have the foreground (the spikes in front) and background objects (moon, clouds, mountains, etc.) so that they scroll separately to give it depth?

It's gotten to the point where I check this thread daily to see progress. Wish I could help somehow, but I'm no where near the level of these guys. Good job so far, can't wait.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it means a lot to get the approval of the MK community. Smoke.Tetsu as always your comments are appreciated and noted. I'm going to keep moving forward while I have momentum and then swing back and address your comments.

Are you guys gonna have the foreground (the spikes in front) and background objects (moon, clouds, mountains, etc.) so that they scroll separately to give it depth?

I can't speak for our programmer, Interloko but I'm pretty sure that is the plan. It'll work just like the original arcade did.

Few things about your recreation jarvis653, I think the texture in the down left corner of the photo is a bit blurry (below J.Cage), also the shadows on the dragon could be a bit stronger to set him apart more from the background in the circle (the back of his neck in particular) But that's just me, others may find it just fine. Anyways good work.

Thanks, I'm not fully satisfied with the texture either, I didn't have a great deal of time to put it together, but fortunately nothing in the image is actually rendered with the background so I can swap it/modify it as needed without affecting anything else. Remember though that this particular area below Cage will be covered up by a character so it won't be too noticeable, I'll mess around with it anyway however.

After seeing both select screens, I think the HD version should lighten up the stone and/or reduce the prominence of the texture. The stone background is almost distracting with too much going on, averting my eyes away from the characters. I also feel that the dragon's background in particular is especially too dark.

Yeah the dragon's background is too dark, I didn't get around to fixing that up but consider it done. As for the main background, I can lighten it up for you and see what you think, otherwise if you have a different texture in mind then send it through and I can try working with that one.

Sorry to disappoint you, but we already have someone who is done with all of the UI and menus. Even though what you did is not bad, someone already has all of it done. Thank you for your contribution, though.

Next time though, before posting anything, make sure you look through previous pages of the thread so you know what is done and what is not. Again, sorry, but all of the UI and menus are done and completed by Badmouse.

Well from what I've seen of the UI, it simply isn't up to the high quality of work that other elements of the project are. TBH I believe I can do a better job on it, and I'm prepared to make as many changes as needed for the work to be the best it can be.

But if you'd prefer to keep what you already have then that's fair enough, there is a lot I can contribute though and you may find it's of a higher standard. I'm happy to rely on feedback/criticism to satisfy everyone involved. Let me know what you think.

At the very least, I've got a lot of ideas to share with you guys about this project that I think can help it out, I'll put them in another post soon.

Last edited:
I like your interpretation of the character select screen. It's more true to the original than is badmouse version, though I don't know if I'd classify it as higher quality. It's really just a matter of preference. Badmouse is using a darkened gritty look to the stone where as you've maintained same colors as the original.

Correct me if I'm wrong Interloko and Badmouse but has the Test Your Might section been completed yet? If not we could use some help there.

As far as I know this is what we have:

Character Select Screen - Badmouse
Battle Plan - Badmouse
Vs. Screen - Badmouse
Character Ending Screen - Badmouse
In Game Menu System - Badmouse
Character Profile Screen - Badmouse

Introscreen - me
UI timer, health bars, danger, win medal - me
Redrawn Fonts - me
Animated Texts (Fight, Finish Her, Finish Him) - me
Projectiles ( Lui Kang and Scorpion) - MikeyMK

Courtyard - Me (0%) complete, I'll work on it next.
Pit Stage Top and Bottom - Me (80%) complete)
Throne Room - Me (100% complete)
Goro Lair - Badmouse (80% complete)
Warrior Shrine - Badmouse (I think it was 80% but badmouse wanted to redo it with higher quality)
Palace Gates - SubZera (80% complete)

Characters Scorpion/Subzero/Reptile (Bleed 60%, the other 40% is animation I think)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I know we still need:

Test your might (power bar, broken and unbroken object states and background objects) - ?

Music/ Sound FX (If anyone can clean the original Arcade sounds or make new ones that sound almost exactly like the original)

Remaining Projectiles (Check with MikeyMK for style of existing so it matches up)

New Ending Images-? Check with Bleed so it matches up

New Character Select Images -? Check with Bleed so it matches up

Fatalities - ?

@jarvis653 I think we will keep what we have from Badmouse, but that's my understanding of it. Calactyte put up a list of what we have and what we still need so take a look and see if you can work on any of them. :)

I like your interpretation of the character select screen. It's more true to the original than is badmouse version, though I don't know if I'd classify it as higher quality. It's really just a matter of preference. Badmouse is using a darkened gritty look to the stone where as you've maintained same colors as the original.

Thanks, though it's not just color I tried to stay true to but every element of the image like the dragon, embossing, size and positioning etc. Badmouse's version is too different IMO from the original so I wanted to make a version that was much more faithful.

Anyway here's what I'll do - I'll finish up on my own versions of some of the UI, then you guys can decide on whether you'd like to use it. If you don't, no problem, but I'd like to at least put it out there. This is a project I care about and I'd like to help give it the attention to detail it deserves.

By the way, out of interest how have you recreated the fonts? Your work on the stages is awesome so I'd love to see your progress on the text if you don't mind.

Also -
I may be able to help you guys with the music and sound fx, I'm capable of doing that kind of work and have some ideas already. I'll start looking into it.

the main idea is use 3d models only for sub bosses.
Anyway but if characters are done like this can be considered get sprites from a 3d models

scorp_final.gif

at 1280x720:
Spoiler:
scorp_3d_mugen_1280x720.png

all this was done by bleed (gabe687)

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! <3

Awesome, you know it can't hurt to have alternatives. If you are feeling inspired if not a bit competitive, then rock on brother. For me I like both interpretations, but 8-9 months from now, we will probably be in a better position to really dig in and make changes.

As for the text:

Here is the PSD:

http://www.jtresca.com/test/MK_Onscreen_text.zip

Here is the remade HD Font

http://www.jtresca.com/test/MK1_HD.ttf

I traced the letters in Illustrator.

Here is an example animation for the animated text: (it's compressed here so looks kinda ugly)

http://www.jtresca.com/test/FinishHim_Gif.gif

Here is the UI stuff:

http://www.jtresca.com/test/throne_room_HD_UI_UX_RESIZED_b.jpg

Thanks, though it's not just color I tried to stay true to but every element of the image like the dragon, embossing, size and positioning etc. Badmouse's version is too different IMO from the original so I wanted to make a version that was much more faithful.

Anyway here's what I'll do - I'll finish up on my own versions of some of the UI, then you guys can decide on whether you'd like to use it. If you don't, no problem, but I'd like to at least put it out there. This is a project I care about and I'd like to help give it the attention to detail it deserves.

By the way, out of interest how have you recreated the fonts? Your work on the stages is awesome so I'd love to see your progress on the text if you don't mind.

Also -
I may be able to help you guys with the music and sound fx, I'm capable of doing that kind of work and have some ideas already. I'll start looking into it.

Is it possible for you to upload the various components/ layers of the completed stages, I'd like to try some edits, and its too complicated to try and paint over one big layer. If not, thats cool too.

calactyte

- about the THRONE ROOM, I propose to make the background sky, mountain,trees, look more reality.

- about THE PIT BOTTOM , I propose to change the pit bodies, Appears as if The same body of the

person repeated.

calactyte

- about the THRONE ROOM, I propose to make the background sky, mountain,trees, look more reality.

- about THE PIT BOTTOM , I propose to change the pit bodies, Appears as if The same body of the

person repeated.

Sorry but I'm done looking at the throne room for now. Stick around for a few months and we can discuss minor edits like these once we near completion of the project.

The body repeats just as the original game does. Also, you can't see the repeated bodies for more than a few seconds as you fall. You have to remember that you won't have anything to compare to know that the bodies are repeated. If you fall from the left side of the screen you won't see the bodies repeat and if by chance you do, it'll be for less than a second. Then you are at the bottom of the screen and unable to see the bodies higher up on the columns.

eh... sorry guys I can't get it done in time, It's taking me longer than I thought but I'm working on it.

I have him doing punches and kicks, but I have to smooth the joints out more.

Last edited:
i was wrong, there are 8 different silo :p
i forgot the ufo and cow

277.png
284t.png
283nw.png
282ni.png
281s.png
280a.png
279c.png
278x.png

i'd reinstalled the OS in my netbook :(
i'll be installing some apps later.
friday in the desktop computer i made some test of physics using the umk3 values (for 400x254) and adding *(screenheight/254). it looks good but i'll try to get the mk1 velocities.
the "*(screenheight/254)" thing convert the value if we use another resolution but not the gravity used in jumps, so if someone uses other resolution must change this value in a file.

@Bleed: no problem, i had some problems and i haven't finished some basic stuff yet
@Sub-Zera: i'll make you a reference for palace gates later. i'm not sure if 2700 is the right width, also 2700 is not the actual width of throne room since walls (2700 px) moves at different speed (slower) than floor

@Sub-Zera: i'll make you a reference for palace gates later. i'm not sure if 2700 is the right width, also 2700 is not the actual width of throne room since walls (2700 px) moves at different speed (slower) than floor

No problem, just let me know;)