Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Calactyte you just HAD to have something crumbly didn't you? You toned down the crumblyness on the obelisk but then added crumblyness to the barrier next to it which isn't in the original either. Seriously.. look at the original.. there are cracks on the bridge (albeit not as deep as the ones you made) but none of the side parts are crumbly. It's like you moved it from one spot from your previous render to the other. Also the cracks wouldn't be perfectly symmetrical on both sides of the arena like that. The damage should be different in different spots. At the very least you should remove or change the damage on one side of the arena.

Other than that it looks very good.

Last edited:
Calactyte you just HAD to have something crumbly didn't you? You toned down the crumblyness on the obelisk but then added crumblyness to the barrier next to it which isn't in the original either. Seriously.. look at the original.. there are cracks on the bridge (albeit not as deep as the ones you made) but none of the side parts are crumbly. It's like you moved it from one spot from your previous render to the other. Also the cracks wouldn't be perfectly symmetrical on both sides of the arena like that. The damage should be different in different spots. At the very least you should remove or change the damage on one side of the arena.

I'm no designer, but in my opinion it looks better with the cracks. I know it wasn't like that in the original, but this isn't the original, this is the HD version. You guys have the ability to show more detail. In short, I'm for the cracks because it gives the stage some character.

Even for an HD version there's still a little too much crumbling going on and again the cracks are symmetrical in an unnatural way... symmetry means it looks exactly the same on both sides. You just don't coincidently get the same exact kind of cracking like that evenly on both sides of someplace like that.

Yes, it's an HD version but things should still make sense and look good and I don't think having the corners completely chipped away like that looks the best. The corners are looking more ill defined than broken to me.

He did a real good job with the obelisk pillar and it looks a lot better now than it did before when he had the same kind of crumbling going on there...

If he was to keep the crack on the bridge that's fine I guess but again he should modify the other side to be less symmetrical. If he doesn't want to that's fine too since it is all up to him after all.

BTW, I went to college for design. ;)

Also I doubt he's going to take my suggestions anyway.

Last edited:
the arcade background is symmetrical. i have all the arcade mk1 tiles (riped by Fly from the ROM itself not from mame) and they use the same props flipped. in the case of pit is:
74004463.png

then (flipped horizontally)
30222068.png

then this image tiled:
27681965.png

and finally image 2, then 1 flipped horizontally

Perhaps yet that big old crack he put on there looks very conspicuous when flipped to the other side.... along with other conspicuous details. Just like when someone makes a seamless tile yet slaps a very conspicuous detail in the middle making it obvious that it's repeating. The original tiles where designed in such a way that it's not so conspicuous that it's tiling. Typically when filling an area in 2D the two choices are stretch or tile and it's clear that they didn't use stretching anyway.

On the other hand even if it was constructed at run time in the original game the stage isn't going to be constructed by the engine the same way anyway is it? I mean it looks like it's going to be mostly constructed as one half and then flipped.... there should be some more freedom to make it look a little more natural, eh?

Besides If the stage was constructed like the original stage with the middle bridge part tiling then that huge crack he put on there would be repeating the entire way across the stage. Only the end pieces where flipped in the original going by what you said.

Last edited:
The cracks being repeated on one side of the arena to the other actually doesn't matter since you can't see that much screen space at once to make a comparison. You'll always only see one side or the other. While I love the crumplyness on the side of the bridge (I know it's not in the original, but it's an acient bridge..the sides will crumble and crack.) I can turn down the cumplyness of the barriers. I do think that we should take advantage of HD and not be afraid to add some detail not present in the original without going overboard. Can you circle in red the areas of the crumbleness that are bugging you just so I know I'm working on the right stuff?

I do think that we should take advantage of HD and not be afraid to add some detail not present in the original without going overboard.
I agree 100%
Pit is looking sweet. make sure you put the moon inside the 720 visible pixels. it stay in the same place always :p

Hi Smoke.Tetsu

"BTW, I went to college for design." This is unnecessary. It sound defensive. No one is saying you are wrong, much of art is subjective. I'm an Advertising Associate Creative Director (when I'm not laid-off from work). It doesn't make my opinion more important than yours or anyone else on here.

"Also I doubt he's going to take my suggestions anyway."

LOL, if you mean mindlessly accept all your critics as fact. You sir, are correct. I will not do that. But as I've stated before I care deeply about your opinion and I think it is valuable even if we won't always agree.

Even for an HD version there's still a little too much crumbling going on and again the cracks are symmetrical in an unnatural way... symmetry means it looks exactly the same on both sides. You just don't coincidently get the same exact kind of cracking like that evenly on both sides of someplace like that.

Yes, it's an HD version but things should still make sense and look good and I don't think having the corners completely chipped away like that looks the best. The corners are looking more ill defined than broken to me.

He did a real good job with the obelisk pillar and it looks a lot better now than it did before when he had the same kind of crumbling going on there...

If he was to keep the crack on the bridge that's fine I guess but again he should modify the other side to be less symmetrical. If he doesn't want to that's fine too since it is all up to him after all.

BTW, I went to college for design. ;)

Also I doubt he's going to take my suggestions anyway.

ScorpMK1_wip20.jpg

Just looked at this image and start to thinking about ninjas eyes. It will be sweet if 3 of them should have different eyes. Scorpion - current ones, Sub-Zero with pupils and Reptile snake like. In order to do this without doing the same sprites 3 times i have a little idea about default eyes texture:
gc8e2xzw.gif

See? You make 1 set of sprites and then change the 4 useless colors (when it comes to the skin and clothes) to make eyes looks different.

Oh and Bleed, you better use Sub-Zero's pallette as default cause with Scorpion it can cause some glitches when somebody will try to change his colors into Sub-Zero or Reptile (cause of brown tones in his west, that also can be used for skin in some sprites)

Example - tryed to change his colors into Sub-Zero with replace color tool and this what i got:
4eg84y8f.jpg

Last edited:
yes i said that to bleed (the basic colour) some time ago.
hopefully he can change the colour of clothe texture and problem solved =D

Once all 180 or so frames of animation are completed someone can go in and Photo retouch in the eyes for Reptile and such. I like what you've done here.

Yes, bleed can change the color fairly easily. He would just need to rerender all the frames of animation again which could be time consuming but is probably doable.

characters and stages are looking pretty sweet ATM, so i sent a PM to MK9 to know if he can help us with blood. i hopes he can do it.
later i'll contact with the "sound guys" to know if there is any progress in this field.

maybe someone here can or have a friend with a voice that fit with mk1 and can try to make the mk1 announcer. this could be great!

we can try it anyway, why not? if someone is able to do it, upload a single file and if it's good, then make the others.
we will not use it if does not fit, just if it's fine.

You know there are a couple of voice effects programs that you can download from the internet and use it to change your own voice. This can help us.