Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Still working on the look for the spine, and I painted this pretty quick last night. I'm not really happy with it, but I like the general idea of blood all over.

The game had it totally gray and clean.

decap_01_zps29cc6241.gif

Nice work Bleed. You wont see the painting on the skull right? Would be cool if the blood had depth to it also. So it seemed like chunks of flesh were still clinging to it. Maybe use a mask to have that part of the spine have a jelly like redness. Mavybe start with an architectural material for clear plastic and then add red fog? Should do the trick.

Oh cool, I didn't even think to check MK9...

The dripping effect looks nice, maybe I can add that. The Skull won't be seen, it'll be the character's head like normal.

Last edited:
Oh cool, I didn't even think to check MK9...

The dripping effect looks nice, maybe I can add that. The Skull won't be seen, it'll be the character's head like normal.

I feel just because you have the ability to enhance and make right what was probably envisioned by Boon and Co. when they were making MK1 originally doesn't mean you should lose focus in your guys' remake. You all are here to recreate Mortal Kombat 1 as it stands. I hope this doesn't seem hateful. I just want to make sure you guys are all in agreement with what's going on when going forth.

it seems to me that the minor variations that are starting to appear are the creators learning and experimenting with different techniques to achieve effects. Like you guys used to always say, you can't please all the ppl all the time. I see both sides, original had a clean spine, okay, the original spine also looked like those chains you pull for an old toilet to flush, or cheap ass necklaces. so i like the realistic version of the spine, and i think the blood makes it better, and updated, and "new". Either way is okay to me.

yah i really dont understand this L33tist approach to keeping every thing tit for tat the same....if its better do it, why would you want the spine to look like some shitty metallic cork screw...when it can look like...gee...I dont know a gore covered spine

Yeap... bloody spine, new animation for Sub-Zero's fatality, black burned skeleton, Reptile's name... yet no new moves for reptile or flamming skull for Scorpion because the game is going to be just a MK1 remake and nothing is meant to be changed.

The irony...

How is it elitist to want to keep 95% of the game the same as the original? No one is arguing to keep Sub's spine rip looking like a "shitty metallic cork screw". I'm looking for one person who was in favor of that and I haven't seen it. So what you arguing about? This is not the same thing as fundamentally changing a fatality such as vellrrath's idea for Kano to cut open the victims body and rip the heart out. I'm sorry but that is a NEW fatality.

There are two categories of fans for this remake. Those who'd like this to be very similar to Street Figher HD Remix with essentially HD Graphics and Music/SFX and those who would like this to be an improvement over the original. Now "improvement" is totally subjective.
So since people keep thinking we are being jerks for wanting this game to stay true to the original or that we are being "elitist" let me set the record straight by giving you an example of what happens when we deviate too much from the original blue-print:

example:

Bleed creates a Raiden's fatality. Someone says man that looks awesome! Someone else says, nah it doesn't make sense...Raiden should have to unroll a carpet rub his feet on it really fast to build up static electricity (This is how it works; it was in issue 107 of the ultra rare Mortal Kombat smurfs comic which Tobias totally said was part of the MK universe at this Comic convention in 94). So Bleed changes it. Then someone else comes in and says you know I read that each character was supposed to have two fatalities in MK one but they didn't have time for it. Also Ed Boon is my uncle and he totally said it would be cool if Scorpion wrapped his harpoon around the opponents throat and choked him to death. Oh yeah and the electricity doesn't look real on Raiden's fatality..you guys need to get film of real electricity and then trace each frame to make it look REAL. Also did you add a glow to Raiden's face when the electricity goes across his hat? Then someone else comes in and says Raiden needs to be totally re-rendered his hat doesn't look right. Oh and Scorpions fire doesn't look real... you should get a real flame thrower and film that and then totally spend 300 hours rendering it with real fire dynamics to get it to look SUPER ULTRA real. Anything less than super realism and you guys should just kill yourselves because this project is totally dumb.

Hopefully you get the point. If we listen to every opinion in this forum Bleed, MrMos3s, Badmouse, Justin, Interloko and I would have quit long long ago. It isn't any fun to spend time on something and have everyone with their own opinion about how terrible it is. BUT, if we stick close to the source material then we have a road map for completion. We can then enhance things it bits and pieces as we see fit.

So we stick to the source material to maintain focus. Shooting for the original look and feel SHOULD be our #1 priority. Later on we can go back and enhance anything that clearly needs enhancing. So now you can't say you don't understand why we are looking to keep everything "tit for tat". This is a massive undertaking and by sticking to the source we can actually have a complete game to play sometime before we are all old and gray. That should be what everyone wants.

yah i really dont understand this L33tist approach to keeping every thing tit for tat the same....if its better do it, why would you want the spine to look like some shitty metallic cork screw...when it can look like...gee...I dont know a gore covered spine

i can understand both view points... but ya gotta understand one thing i think all of the team guys are forgetting..

THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL MK ARCADE GAME!

hence why you guys are doing it up in a hd version.. i agree with keeping the original stuff in there, but small things to make the original stuff better needs to be done, or your time will be wasted with all the hd everything else...

you are redoing everything in the game, so why not make the best out of it rather than sticking with toned down hd graphics? im not saying change fatals, or add fatals, or nudalities etc etc, only beef i got is you guys refuse to remember what you started this gamne for and why you are doing it.. "TO MAKE THE ORIGINAL BETTER" remember? and somtimes the original has to be cleaned up and buffed up some, like the pause i reccomended in scorpions fatal, as well as lightening up the skeleton so you can actually see it...

as long as you stick with the original stuff, sprucing it up and making it shine isn't changing anything, only making the original stuff better, and thats what ya suppose to be doing, right?

Yeap... bloody spine, new animation for Sub-Zero's fatality, black burned skeleton, Reptile's name... yet no new moves for reptile or flamming skull for Scorpion because the game is going to be just a MK1 remake and nothing is meant to be changed.

The irony...

CARZ why are stuck on this? Why? Everyone knows your opinion by now. Why keep saying it over and over again? Do you think you'll somehow "win" and get your way on this? You don't have to play this game. In fact if this is really that big of a deal to you, I suggest that you don't play it all. It will only anger you. You can shout from the rooftops on how MKHD could have been so much MORE if only we'd listened to you and *sniff* *sob's softly* added in Reptiles MK2 moves and made Scorpion look like Ghost Rider! *Violin's start playing*

or..you can just stop whining about it. People can respectfully disagree without hating each other. I respectfully disagree with your opinion on those two subjects. Can we be friends again? It comes off as pretty ungrateful for the time everyone has spent on this thus far. I think you have a lot of good ideas to offer so please just let this go.

Look at my book long post above about precisely why we don't want to make these changes. They take time away from the creating the actual game and don't add much in return. Plus the scorpion head flame is totally dumb in my personal opinion.

WRONG. Not to "MAKE THE ORIGINAL BETTER". We are merely making the original HD. Just like Street Fighter HD remix. If along the way we improve certain things then fine, but it was NEVER to make the original better. That is where so many people get hung up. This is MKHD. Not MK TURBO EDITION or whatever. If HD is better for you then yes we are making it better. But that wasn't the main goal of this project. And as I said, everyone has a different idea what "Better" is. And if we listened to everyone's idea of "better" then nothing gets done. This is why MOST fan projects die. We can sit around and get lost in ideas and never actually build anything. I personally will be satisfied with something that look nice on my HD TV and plays fairly closely to the original game. I'd be very satisfied with that. In fact I'm really proud of what we've accomplished so far. Sorry if you disagree.

i can understand both view points... but ya gotta understand one thing i think all of the team guys are forgetting..

THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL MK ARCADE GAME!

hence why you guys are doing it up in a hd version.. i agree with keeping the original stuff in there, but small things to make the original stuff better needs to be done, or your time will be wasted with all the hd everything else...

you are redoing everything in the game, so why not make the best out of it rather than sticking with toned down hd graphics? im not saying change fatals, or add fatals, or nudalities etc etc, only beef i got is you guys refuse to remember what you started this gamne for and why you are doing it.. "TO MAKE THE ORIGINAL BETTER" remember? and somtimes the original has to be cleaned up and buffed up some, like the pause i reccomended in scorpions fatal, as well as lightening up the skeleton so you can actually see it...

as long as you stick with the original stuff, sprucing it up and making it shine isn't changing anything, only making the original stuff better, and thats what ya suppose to be doing, right?

How is it elitist to want to keep 95% of the game the same as the original? No one is arguing to keep Sub's spine rip looking like a "shitty metallic cork screw". I'm looking for one person who was in favor of that and I haven't seen it. So what you arguing about? This is not the same thing as fundamentally changing a fatality such as vellrrath's idea for Kano to cut open the victims body and rip the heart out. I'm sorry but that is a NEW fatality.

There are two categories of fans for this remake. Those who'd like this to be very similar to Street Figher HD Remix with essentially HD Graphics and Music/SFX and those who would like this to be an improvement over the original. Now "improvement" is totally subjective.
So since people keep thinking we are being jerks for wanting this game to stay true to the original or that we are being "elitist" let me set the record straight by giving you an example of what happens when we deviate too much from the original blue-print:

example:

Bleed creates a Raiden's fatality. Someone says man that looks awesome! Someone else says, nah it doesn't make sense...Raiden should have to unroll a carpet rub his feet on it really fast to build up static electricity (This is how it works; it was in issue 107 of the ultra rare Mortal Kombat smurfs comic which Tobias totally said was part of the MK universe at this Comic convention in 94). So Bleed changes it. Then someone else comes in and says you know I read that each character was supposed to have two fatalities in MK one but they didn't have time for it. Also Ed Boon is my uncle and he totally said it would be cool if Scorpion wrapped his harpoon around the opponents throat and choked him to death. Oh yeah and the electricity doesn't look real on Raiden's fatality..you guys need to get film of real electricity and then trace each frame to make it look REAL. Also did you add a glow to Raiden's face when the electricity goes across his hat? Then someone else comes in and says Raiden needs to be totally re-rendered his hat doesn't look right. Oh and Scorpions fire doesn't look real... you should get a real flame thrower and film that and then totally spend 300 hours rendering it with real fire dynamics to get it to look SUPER ULTRA real. Anything less than super realism and you guys should just kill yourselves because this project is totally dumb.

Hopefully you get the point. If we listen to every opinion in this forum Bleed, MrMos3s, Badmouse, Justin, Interloko and I would have quit long long ago. It isn't any fun to spend time on something and have everyone with their own opinion about how terrible it is. BUT, if we stick close to the source material then we have a road map for completion. We can then enhance things it bits and pieces as we see fit.

So we stick to the source material to maintain focus. Shooting for the original look and feel SHOULD be our #1 priority. Later on we can go back and enhance anything that clearly needs enhancing. So now you can't say you don't understand why we are looking to keep everything "tit for tat". This is a massive undertaking and by sticking to the source we can actually have a complete game to play sometime before we are all old and gray. That should be what everyone wants.

Yeah, you're right, and i think you gis are the best of the best
i have said many things helping a braintorming, if one of my ideas
help something on this project it's enought to my, because this
project deserve the best, it's a dream that neither the Mydway
can realize, i'm very excited with this, and keep seeng every day
this tread, and a i love what i see

Bleed, Interloko all projectiles complete and located here on dropbox:

Dropbox\MK1HD

You'll see the clearly labeled zip there. Instead of organizing it inside each character with individual zips per projectile I've just combined all projectiles into one .zip to hopefully save Dropbox space.

la luna not sure if you are around but I have what I think is a huge task for you if you are up to it. Can you pull HD resized graphics of every single blood animation in MK1? Everything from Raidens Fatality Head Explode to Johnny Cage Head Punch Fatality, Subzero's spine rip.

Along with Scorpions Spear Blood, Kano's Knife blood. High/Low punches, Backfist/Knee and Upper cuts? I want to start HDifying the Blood for the entire game.

If you can only get me stuff bit by bit that will work to. Whatever you have time for.

Yeesh. Rounds of Haterade all around I guess.

I get the whole, "If your bothering with making this update, then UPDATE it" thing. I got hung up on that like 200 pages ago, and had some frustrating back and forths with Jarvis. (What happened to that guy?)

But I also think the "Roadmap" philosophy is a good one. Keeping with that is this game's best shot at getting finished. Also, things can be changed in the game's final cleanup stage very easily, after everything else is in place. So yeah.

Also, it's true that Bleed, Cal, etc. are essentially the ones determining which updates are appropriate and which ones are not. Since they are the ones doing the grunt work, they have that privilege. If ya don't like it, feel free to start your own remake. I've raised an eyebrow or two when seeing some of the ideas that make the cut and some that didn't, but at the end of the day it's honestly their project, so I'm cool with it.

P.S.

And if you still need to see some upgrades, then just mosey over and download a few of my tracks. Some of those songs are VERY different from the originals. But don't tell anyone I said so. ;)

anyone that disagrees with how this project is being handled can have an opinion when they contribute to the project, till then stop thinking you matter.

For all the people trying to control the direction of the project here is an idea: if you do not like what they are doing, make a version yourself.

This team is doing an excellent job in recreating MK I as it should be and I have been a fan of their work from the beginning (cal bleed interlocko justin arq)... keep up the good work! No need to change things around.. maybe later, as you all have stated for a 1.5 version or something, but not this one. This already has massive nostalgia going for an MK fan from the beginning and your vision of the project is absolutely terrific.

Thank you.