Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Well I'm working on liu kang and I don't really think it is a good idea to add this X-ray mode cause IMO this is going to be so far away from the original, if we wanna make it more dramatic maybe I can add fire to the punch and shake the camera so the impact looks stronger.

And about liu kang, it's almost rigged, I will work on liu's statue as soon as possible, bleed I need to know the setting you used for scorpion's statue, image size, format and things like that!

Also it would take this project down to a low point. Making it look like the millions of ridiculous MK Mugen videos on youtube. When you start adding a bunch of new moves to it, all you're really missing is homer simpson and some street fighter characters.

Sorry if I sound harsh but it's true. This project is a work of beauty. Cluttering it up with the 1.5 stuff would ruin it honestly.

Well I'm working on liu kang and I don't really think it is a good idea to add this X-ray mode cause IMO this is going to be so far away from the original, if we wanna make it more dramatic maybe I can add fire to the punch and shake the camera so the impact looks stronger.

And about liu kang, it's almost rigged, I will work on liu's statue as soon as possible, bleed I need to know the setting you used for scorpion's statue, image size, format and things like that!

I'm rendering at 2000 X 2000, the character is small in it. I'm using a large render so the character doesn't go off screen for jump animations and others that need to move around.

It doesn't really need to be that large though, because the sprites need to render centered in place. You move them with code in the game.

I crop the render just to fit what I need for the sprites.

I get the camera angle by importing a screen capture of the game and putting it in the 3D program. Adjust the camera, so the 3D model looks like it matches with the screen shot in the background.

The size of the sprites are the same as a scaled up screen capture, made to fit a 1280 X 720 screen.
Take a screen shot of mame, with F12. Create a new document in Photoshop at 1280 X 720. Place the mame screen shot in to this document, and scale it up to fit the full page.

Renders from 3dMax need to have the background color set to black, so you don't get a halo around the sprites. Save the file as .png with transparency on.

Render animations at 30 fps. You can work at 60 fps, and render every other frame.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe i was too much excited with the project so far, thinking better now, you're right, the liu kang fatality will be too much diferent to the original, but it's a fatality and have to look like one, not only a combo, need blood, need injuries or things like this, the fire on hand, shaken screen will be cool, the impact has to show that hurt an can broke something inside the oponent, i think the liu's fatality will be the more dificult to do, because his fatality not show none gore, it's only a sequence of blows, well, after all that i've see until now in this project i think the people involved will do the best thing, wow i can't wait to play this game:joyman:

MY GOD! this is without a doubt the best mugen recreation i have ever seen!

bleed, justin, interloko, guys, well done, well done indeed!

i have listened to the new music and wow, just wow! it has sounds and feelings of real japaneese/china/ eastern culture that mortal kombat essence is.... and i feel those were the sounds that ed boon and dan forden would have loved to have way back then.!

i just can't get over it guys.. i thought mk2u was good, but damn guys, this is just.... wow! i am literally speechless in ways!

i love how your guys attention to detail are spot on... i really really hope this gets finished maybe you guys can do a hidden reptile as a playable character in the dragon, thats what will really put this game over the top! it's somthing everyone always wanted in mk... and it can be a little special thing that will give you even more fandom!

i noticed how you was making the skeleton for the toasty of scorpion finisher.. i always thought that the flames fatals for sektor and i think sonya in mk3 really looked good in how the fire's action and movement was realistic, they really done good in capturing the reality of how fire moves, and i hope you guys will too.. for how fire really behaves in real life..

remember to stick with your goals, never change them, no matter how difficult they become, because this is probably the best mugen rekmake i have ever seen in quality... your options are endless with the details because you guys are so talented.... you have nothing but respect from me, and if there is anything i can do to help any of you, please just let me know.....

sincerly

your ol pal

icon

Almost there

skeleton_wip_05.jpg

If nothing is going to be used from original games sound wise (punches, kicks, etc.) you'd have to dig something out of various SFX libraries, or create something yourself or record everything from scratch which means some serious Foley-like work. I think original sounds put through some filters to try to fake them as better quality would be the most painless way to do it, as far as I know about sound.

They tried to change some on MKAK, only few of them. For example they changed Uppercut sound and messed it up imo, it totally takes away it's impact. Yet they didn't change Scorpions Spear which was absolutely horrible in MK1. Strange. It's like they started changing sound and not even half-way through sad "F it!" and left it half assed like that. Overall it would've been better if they didn't touch anything.
That sounds about right I mean.. It seems like stuff like UI and such in there was from the scrapped HD project of theirs. Those sounds where probably from the same project.

Hey thanks for the kind words, Icon. I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's always nice to hear that I've succeeded in re-creating the MK "vibe" for lack of a better word. It really is a difficult thing to put into words, but those arcade games always had a certain atmosphere that was so specific and recognizable, and when some of the later games branched out it really wasn't the same. I know my stuff isn't always the most accurate recreation of the old tracks, but I try my best to at least get that MK atmosphere that is so important. I know a lot of folks would probably prefer accuracy though.

i agree justin, I HATE the music in most the 3d games, I despise every thing about mk3....

deception and deadly alliance had some cool tunes, so does mk 2011, but ALL the character select themes have sucked since mk2

all the mk3 stages in mk2011 are terrible too, i want the dark eastern feel, i hate the techno dance direction they go in now...

i agree justin, I HATE the music in most the 3d games, I despise every thing about mk3....

deception and deadly alliance had some cool tunes, so does mk 2011, but ALL the character select themes have sucked since mk2

all the mk3 stages in mk2011 are terrible too, i want the dark eastern feel, i hate the techno dance direction they go in now...

The size of the sprites are the same as a scaled up screen capture, made to fit a 1280 X 720 screen.
Take a screen shot of mame, with F12. Create a new document in Photoshop at 1280 X 720. Place the mame screen shot in to this document, and scale it up to fit the full page.
If I understood you correctly, the last part should be "scale it up to fit the page in height"
Simply resize MAME screen capture of 400X254 to 1134X720 and what you get should be the correct sprite size and proportions for this project.
Skeleton is looking great. It might be the angle, but front pelvic bones seem a little too low maybe?

en1291214.jpg

Maybe it's just me.. Great job as always man.

If I understood you correctly, the last part should be "scale it up to fit the page in height"
Simply resize MAME screen capture of 400X254 to 1134X720 and what you get should be the correct sprite size and proportions for this project.
Yeah, that's right 1134x720

Yeah, maybe i was too much excited with the project so far, thinking better now, you're right, the liu kang fatality will be too much diferent to the original, but it's a fatality and have to look like one, not only a combo, need blood, need injuries or things like this, the fire on hand, shaken screen will be cool, the impact has to show that hurt an can broke something inside the oponent, i think the liu's fatality will be the more dificult to do, because his fatality not show none gore, it's only a sequence of blows, well, after all that i've see until now in this project i think the people involved will do the best thing, wow i can't wait to play this game:joyman:

I always assumed Liu Kang broke your neck when the move was done.