Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

If you have your heart set on that image the left shoulder needs to come up a bit sort of like this:

FINAL_GUARD_Cb.png

Pardon my sloppy edit though it was just to show more of the shape of how the shoulder should be.

Also I think the robe should have a bit more of a fine texture.... like the MKSM monks model.

And the sword should look more like a katana... I did a quick and dirty example of one.

Last edited:
I brought the shoulder up a bit, but it should still be slightly slower than the right shoulder since his left should is meant to be turned toward the viewer. I did have it too low originally though. Yeah this guy is pretty far enough in the background that I don't think it's worth going crazy over.

The last version of guard is awesome. I like it.

The original game resolution (399*253) give u about 16:10 (399*249) aspect. Triple the original resolution and you will have 1197*747 (which is very close to 1280*720), so you don't need to change any proportions. Only difference will be the visible area on the screen.

These guard are not midgets, they just supposed to be far from the screen because this is the arena with big depth (look at how fast stones on the ground becomes smaller). Midway was probably got lazy here to come up with better perspective.

ok really tired now..tomorrow I'll start on the PIT stage

FINAL_GUARD_C.png

Did another edit as an example\suggestion on what to do with the sword for when you get back. I think the one you have there looks a bit too much like an action figure's sword.

I think it should look more like a katana:
FINAL_GUARD_Cb.png

The original game resolution (399*253) give u about 16:10 (399*249) aspect. Triple the original resolution and you will have 1197*747 (which is very close to 1280*720), so you don't need to change any proportions. Only difference will be the visible area on the screen.

Right except they didn't use 16:10 monitors at the arcade and actually displayed the screen onto a 4:3 display... if you where to display it exactly at the pixel aspect ratio it becomes stretched. Just like with my example of Doom. So if you compare the graphics to the graphics output from an emulator displaying it uncorrected on a 16:9 or 16:10 screen you are actually seeing things fatter than they should be.

I suggest you read this: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Aspect_ratio It's for a different game and different resolution but the principle applies. The pixel aspect ratio was technically 16:10 there but the artwork and such was designed to look correct when that resolution was stretched\squashed to 4:3 just like MK was at the arcade on the 4:3 RGB monitor they used.

So what you would have to do is compare it to the graphics in MAME with the aspect set to 4:3 rather than the pixel aspect ratio. That doesn't mean the remake has to be 4:3 too though of course the only difference after that between the two would be as you said the visible area.

Last edited:
Not necessary work so hard to finish stg in 1 day. Good work calactyte.

If you have time in other moment will be better change the Arabian sword for a Katana and turn off the reflection in the hands.

For see how he looks, try put him in a stage ;)

Last edited:
Did someone say, "Try put him on a stage"? ;)

guardonstage.jpg

Whoops, I probably should have put the katana on the updated image instead... oh well. :p

I also sincerely think a more brown looking cloth texture would be better fitting than that funky pattern it currently has. The original merely had lots of video tape noise and artifacts going on it.

Last edited:
Ok, but i believe interloko can make different proportions on program level if he want to. Still for me this is not a big deal.

And i like this pattern on the guard, i think it emulates the video tape noise good enough. This pattern also give them extra details that needed when it comes to HD. So my opinion, guard is finished and calactyte can concentrate on the Pit and Pit Bottom.

Just something I have been wondering about, and I never really understood your decision, that: and the fact that the thread had continued several pages more and the topic had already been dropped:

Why are you making this game in 1280x720 and not in 1920x1080? Because the way I see it, it makes no sense, least not for me, I hardly even consider 720 proper HD.

Cause lets face it: Most of us are using LCD/LED pc monitors or TV's to view our games in right? And what is one of the biggest weaknesses that LCD/LED screens have compared to CRT? They blur the picture if it's not the same resolution as the screens native resolution. When they do that, the "HD" feel goes right now the shitter. ALL PC monitors today are either 1080p (or 1200p if they are 16:10, but those are fewer in numbers now then they were only a few years ago it seems) All new TV's today are 1080p, unless it's some cheap TV, intended for the 12 year old son to play his PS3, which hardly ever is not using its full capacity to output 1080p.

So to enjoy the best 720p picture, you'd either have be playing this on a laptop monitor (most likely an old one even), or a CRT PC screen. the rest of us would NOT get the pristine quality of the picture.

Now if it was in 1080p, everyone that intends to hook up the PC to the TV, and use gamepads to play the game, or just sit infront of the PC would get this wonderful looking game in it's best viewable form. and yes even those that can only run in 720p and not above, the door really only swings one way.

Last edited:
I believe it is to keep the frame rate smooth on mid range PCs. Not everyone will have a computer that can handle such large sprites. It might also be a limitation of the new version of MUGEN.
Just something I have been wondering about, and I never really understood your decision, that: and the fact that the thread had continued several pages more and the topic had already been dropped:

Why are you making this game in 1280x720 and not in 1920x1080? Because the way I see it, it makes no sense, least not for me, I hardly even consider 720 proper HD.

Cause lets face it: Most of us are using LCD/LED pc monitors or TV's to view our games in right? And what is one of the biggest weaknesses that LCD/LED screens have compared to CRT? They blur the picture if it's not the same resolution as the screens native resolution. When they do that, the "HD" feel goes right now the shitter. ALL PC monitors today are either 1080p (or 1200p if they are 16:10, but those are fewer in numbers now then they were only a few years ago it seems) All new TV's today are 1080p, unless it's some cheap TV, intended for the 12 year old son to play his PS3, which hardly ever is not using its full capacity to output 1080p.

So to enjoy the best 720p picture, you'd either have be playing this on a laptop monitor (most likely an old one even), or a CRT PC screen. the rest of us would NOT get the pristine quality of the picture.

Now if it was in 1080p, everyone that intends to hook up the PC to the TV, and use gamepads to play the game, or just sit infront of the PC would get this wonderful looking game in it's best viewable form. and yes even those that can only run in 720p and not above, the door really only wings one way.

Personal preferences aside believe it or not 720p is HD. 1080p is FHD (Full HD)... my computer screen (iMac) is 2560x1440 which is WQHD (Wide Quad HD) yet 720p videos look good at it especially if I sit a few feet away. Although It's true that when scaled up the image does look softer\blurrier and the lower the resolution it is the worse that gets.

Actually I have found that quite a few movies especially if they don't have too much compression look better on my 1440p monitor versus the 32 inch 720p TV I have upstairs. But this highly depends on the source of it like if you are watching a youtube video much of the time there's so much compression it negates the HD.

None of these images will be compressed like a youtube video especially if the engine uses them as png images so on the one hand to a degree it'll be softer than if they rendered it at 1080 it shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, MUGEN seems to be able to display at just about any resolution although I'm not sure what kind of limitations it has internally for art.

@Hammerhans: mugen can handle 1920x1080 but not all people can. for example i don't own neither a monitor or TV with full hd. a it's not only about the monitor, higher resolution imply higher pc specs too.
so we aim to hd (720p) wich is a nice resolution for good looking graphics and you don't need a super computer to run it.
one last thing: you know what resolution mk9 uses? 720p and i don't think it looks so bad ;)

Ok, but i believe interloko can make different proportions on program level if he want to. Still for me this is not a big deal.

And i like this pattern on the guard, i think it emulates the video tape noise good enough. This pattern also give them extra details that needed when it comes to HD. So my opinion, guard is finished and calactyte can concentrate on the Pit and Pit Bottom.

True, although I still think it could be a little different to get the best image quality.. which I thought this was all about.

The original sprite was actually a person dressed up in a costume and that person was not a midget. It was John Vogel the guy who worked on the backgrounds played the Masked Guards in MK1. In this video John Vogel said "The masked guard is the most important character in the MK universe because in MK1 I played the masked guard"

Calactyte's also taking a lot of artistic liberties with it making the sheath for the sword lighter and bumpier than in the game and that pattern... and why does the sword need to be the same color as the robe anyway especially when it was not in the original sprite? Do you need to limit the colors?

In my opinion the best way to go for any humanoid character would be to use Bleed's method making a realistic human and then clothing the model as realisictic as you can in order to simulate the way they made the game originally... technically speaking since he's all covered up you could use a generic male 3D model underneath the costume for a masked guard...

But *shrug*...

Just trying to help... sorry if it's an inconvenience. Just trying to help make the quality consistent.

Last edited:
No need for apologies, but I respectfully disagree. I think the guard looks like he belongs in the background. I did take some artistic liberties, which I understand not everyone will like. I hope you don't become discouraged to share your opinion in the future though, because it is valued.

True, although I still think it could be a little different to get the best image quality.. which I thought this was all about.

The original sprite was actually a person dressed up in a costume and that person was not a midget. It was John Vogel the guy who worked on the backgrounds played the Masked Guards in MK1. In this video John Vogel said "The masked guard is the most important character in the MK universe because in MK1 I played the masked guard"

Calactyte's also taking a lot of artistic liberties with it making the sheath for the sword lighter and bumpier than in the game and that pattern... and why does the sword need to be the same color as the robe anyway especially when it was not in the original sprite? Do you need to limit the colors?

In my opinion the best way to go for any humanoid character would be to use Bleed's method making a realistic human and then clothing the model as realisictic as you can in order to simulate the way they made the game originally... technically speaking since he's all covered up you could use a generic male 3D model underneath the costume for a masked guard...

But *shrug*...

Just trying to help... sorry if it's an inconvenience. Just trying to help make the quality consistent.

OK, I just hope it's not a just a matter of pride whether you go with something or not. For better or worse it seems you have a lot of pride in it.

Here I'm just trying to make the best observations that I can and it's all up to the ones executing this whether they want to listen or not. I guess it's not bad but it doesn't fit the idea of taking a digitized sprite of a live actor (in this case John Vogel) and turning it into a 3D model version of it for high res. Drawing over the fonts and certain other things was a good idea this... less so. It just does not look real enough. Everything up until that point was on the right track.

The spear looks good if perhaps a little too new.... but my main point of contention will always be that robe. It just does not look natural even though it follows the same basic shape as in the sprite. Like when it's time to make Shang Tsung his model (which I'm sure is going to be fantastic) should be the one used in the backgrounds and also when he's fighting.

But that's the last that I'm going to say about the masked guard as apparently minds are already made up.

To be honest I think the ones who are most adept at making humanoid characters such as Bleed should focus on making all of the humanoid characters including the ones in the background and others should focus on other things they are best at. Like I think you are really good at making backgrounds and everything that is not a human.

Out of curiosity would you be against not putting in certain things like the guards into your backgrounds and letting\waiting for Bleed to make them before placing them into the background? We do want to make this the best MK HD project that it can be right?

Last edited:
Hi Smoke,

I wouldn't at all be offended if someone else takes a crack at the guard. I'll be the first to admit that clothing isn't my thing. But I also don't think it looks bad. I think it fits the look of the original which looked less real and more surreal. I'll give my files to anyone else who wants to take a crack at it. I understand your critic but as I said, I dont agree. I have other areas i would like to focus my energy on. But I suspect once we get a working level or two up we will refine things. As I said I.value your opinion. It is not my ego talking. I know when I need to step away from something and come back to it in the future. Perhaps ill revisit it later but for now it looks and feels right to me.

OK, I just hope it's not a just a matter of pride whether you go with something or not. For better or worse it seems you have a lot of pride in it.

Here I'm just trying to make the best observations that I can and it's all up to the ones executing this whether they want to listen or not. I guess it's not bad but it doesn't fit the idea of taking a digitized sprite of a live actor (in this case John Vogel) and turning it into a 3D model version of it for high res. Drawing over the fonts and certain other things was a good idea this... less so. It just does not look real enough. Everything up until that point was on the right track.

The spear looks good if perhaps a little too new.... but my main point of contention will always be that robe. It just does not look natural even though it follows the same basic shape as in the sprite. Like when it's time to make Shang Tsung his model (which I'm sure is going to be fantastic) should be the one used in the backgrounds and also when he's fighting.

But that's the last that I'm going to say about the masked guard as apparently minds are already made up.

To be honest I think the ones who are most adept at making humanoid characters such as Bleed should focus on making all of the humanoid characters including the ones in the background and others should focus on other things they are best at. Like I think you are really good at making backgrounds and everything that is not a human.

Out of curiosity would you be against not putting in certain things like the guards into your backgrounds and letting\waiting for Bleed to make them before placing them into the background? We do want to make this the best MK HD project that it can be right?

Some elements don't match the original but I'd go with it unless we have something closer, or the author is willing to make some changes.

Don't wait for me to do it, because it'll hold things up.