Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Badmouse, I like the texture you added for these. I feel like I'm a little slow on progress. I will try to have something here soon.

more progress

MK1Scorp_WIP_cloth_04.gif

I like how the screens are coming out malo, real nice.

Yeah! now we are talking baby! Looks amazing! very well done!

Did you change stg in the render setting or just lighting and shaders? looks really amazing

The new cloth texture looks super great. post a small size of the texture used for the cloth.

I changed a bunch of things in the shader tree, but it's too complex to remember now...

It's like programming, where I have to look through it to know what the heck I was doing.

The most important thing was creating a procedural cloth shader which is not so simple. I had to search online for help to figure it out.

Half size costume color map.
MK1Scorp_costume_colorMap.jpg

Last edited:
awesome progress everyone!
i made this collage for badmouse but since calactyte will take it i leave it for him to use as reference when he make pit/pit bottom:
pitpitbottom.jpg

here the endings, I made them in HD size and re size to post here.

MK1ENDING_1_HD.png

MK1ENDING_2_HD.png

* Click to see a bigger pic

Tonight i will finish VS Screen and Bio Screen, Tomorrow The Main Menu.

Those look good although I think the contrast\sharpness is a little to exaggerated I would tone that down a bit.

more progress

MK1Scorp_WIP_cloth_04.gif

I like how the screens are coming out malo, real nice.

Yes, this looks great although I think some of the worn areas look a little too bright as is especially around the knees where it looks almost like there's baby powder on them. In other words it kind of looks like there's a little too much contrast between distinctly worn and unworn areas. But real good progress as usual!

Is 512x512 the size of the texture? That seems a little small for something that is going to be pre-rendered into a sprite. Even real time rendering has been using 2kx2k textures as skins for some time now especially in high res packs for games. Oh right, you said half-sized.. so I'm guessing it's 1024x1024 then?

I am liking the more realistic tone it's taking on.

Here's an example with some of the worn areas toned down a bit. The shoes are OK though as footwear tends to get scuffed more than anything.

MK1Scorp_WIP_cloth_04b.gif

Last edited:
Glad to be of service, also I think you should watch those edges especially if the sprites are going to be .gif based without an alpha channel as if you put too much contrast around the edges it tends to look like editing errors like stray pixels that need to be cleaned up. Even in 32-bit though one needs to be careful with the edges I have found although
1) In 32-bit the edges don't need to be as hard of course since you can have per pixel transparency on them and 2) on the actual scenery that'll be used it may be less noticeable. Stuff like that is more noticeable on a neutral or black background as it makes it pop out more.

Forgive me if I'm simply saying stuff you already know though. :)

Last edited:
The only thing it needs now really is the light transmittance so that partially some of his arm shows through the yellow vest.

Bleed, Thanks for show the texture. try to put him in other position to check him from other perspective. The Idle position will be good to compare with the old arcade sprite one.

calactyte, i understand you used the arcade proportions to make him but will be better make him taller.

About the mask, use the style like MKSM will make him looks better.

mksm_masked_guard_render.jpg

good progress :)

Last edited:
Here's the Background Guard for SubZera's Stage.

FINAL_GUARD.jpg

Looks interesting although the shape of the shoulders seem strange. I take it this was hand drawn and then cg'ed? Good job although I'm not sure it looks like an actual man in a robe with a star shaped mask on.

Hmm I could squish him a bit to make him look a bit taller, but was trying not to deviate from the original which has them looking like midgets...

Bleed, Thanks for show the texture. try to put him in other position to check him from other perspective. The Idle position will be good to compare with the old arcade sprite one.

calactyte, i understand you used the arcade proportions to make him but will be better make him taller.

http://www.totalmortalkombat.com/mksm/renders/mksm_masked_guard_render.jpg

Something to keep in mind is the original arcade game wasn't a standard aspect ratio like 4:3 so doing a direct comparison can be a little difficult since the pixel aspect ratio was probably different in the arcade like it was for Doom. According to MAME the pixel aspect ratio for MK was 399:253 with a screen resolution... which uncorrected on the screen stretches things out a bit.

What I'm saying is even following the original graphics as a guideline there'll probably be some differences.

Yeah mostly on the example pic from before it's the shape of the shoulders that looks off and it doesn't look as much like a 3D model like in that MKSM pic either. The MKSM model looks like it'd go well with Bleed's models when put into the background although of course it has trousers rather than a full robe like the MK1 guards need.

Last edited:
Here is the image I'm working from:

http://www.jtresca.com/test/guard_template.jpg

Looks like the shoulder came out crooked because you may have blown that up and then drawn over it but didn't see where the shadow on the left side ends.... it's actually more in line with the right side than what you ended up doing with your tracing job.

This isn't a perfect or complete cutout as that's hard to do with such a low res picture however it should give you an idea of what I was talking about with the shoulder:

guard_sample.jpg

Some of it was in shadow in other words.

It'd probably be better to make it as a model than a tracing job though.

Last edited: