Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Shang Tsung`s hair too flat. Look unnatural.
Forehead is too high, his head looks like an egg. Wrinkles also look unnatural, they are not necessary, but need make hollow cheeks and eyes.

Sorry but it is the best that I can do. I'm not going to redo it, but you are certainly welcome to give it a shot if it bothers you alot.

Here is the first animation for Shang:

http://www.jtresca.com/test/FINAL_RENDER_SHANG_CLAP_LOOK.mov

For some reason I had trouble downloading your .mov file, after a few tries I got it.
Now that you made him smaller I think it looks much better than before. Here is just a
quick paste over, to see how he looks now compared to the fighters:

34e3mrt.jpg

Unfortunately, there are few problems with his movement, minor things but I've noticed
them on the first look. You decide if it's something worth changing:

- First, while he claps his hands look too dark. So much that it looks like they're black mans hands.
- There's a strange cloth movement near his right side of the neck. Looks like piece of his robes
goes into and out of his neck while he claps.
- His hair behaves strange when he moves his head left and right. Looks like it goes through,
or behind the robe and it should be moving over the robes.
- His left hand sleeve hangs weirdly while he claps (almost horizontal) unlike his right hand one
which hangs naturally (vertical)

That's it, nevertheless Shang looks really, really good.

Last edited:
Now we're talking, nice work calactyte.

Here are some things I would look into.

The sleeves and hair need some extra bones, so you can move them around.

He could tilt his head down a little, to face the players.

There's a stiff movement in the clap, looks like they stick when he pulls them away from each other. I would check the curve editor, and see if there are some curves that need to be smoothed out.

His chest should compress when he puts his hands together. You can do that with some stretchy bones, place them like pectoral muscles and you'll get that movement. Link one end to the chest bone, and another end to the upper arm bone.

His entire body should move slightly when he claps, it's very slight but you'll notice a difference. Just select most of the bones, one by one and wiggle them a little, so the motion curves are not perfectly straight. It's like animating a still hand, you don't leave it with no keys, instead you give it a very slight movement every so many frames, so it's like 90% still.

Lastly the head rotation is too mechanical, the tilt can be a little different for each side and the upper body can be twisted slightly in the same direction.

Last edited:
Ok I'll work on those fixes. I agree. It needs many many improvements. As you can plainly see I'm just a beginner with character animation.

When I started this, I thought I'd be able to give his hair gravity and wind dynamics along with colision of objects like his robe, thus far all dynamics tests have just failed. I'm not sure why but I don't know that I'll actually ever get natural hair movement. Everything else you mentioned looks fixable.

For some reason I had trouble downloading your .mov file, after a few tries I got it.
Now that you made him smaller I think it looks much better than before. Here is just a
quick paste over, to see how he looks now compared to the fighters:

34e3mrt.jpg

Unfortunately, there are few problems with his movement, minor things but I've noticed
them on the first look. You decide if it's something worth changing:

- First, while he claps his hands look too dark. So much that it looks like they're black mans hands.
- There's a strange cloth movement near his right side of the neck. Looks like piece of his robes
goes into and out of his neck while he claps.
- His hair behaves strange when he moves his head left and right. Looks like it goes through,
or behind the robe and it should be moving over the robes.
- His left hand sleeve hangs weirdly while he claps (almost horizontal) unlike his right hand one
which hangs naturally (vertical)

That's it, nevertheless Shang looks really, really good.

No worries, I'm not trying to be so hard on your work. If you can do it cool, if not that's fine, just tossing out some ideas.

Here's a little something for Cage, I'm blocking out the major forms so far.

Cage01.jpg

Last edited:
My most sincere message of support for Calactyte for the clap animation, I am SURE you'll get it done, and with some effort we will see more animations from you, because I've been following your progress on various stages and you seem to never quit and that is what makes talented people talented...!!!

Many flaws, but still nice to see Tsung clapping in HD, I don't know about the hair but maybe the hair could be edited in photoshop to increase the quality of the final product, particularly Shang Tsung uses a very limited number of animations so it shouldn't be so hard.

still picking at this one, got more of the legs modeled. I'm not using any reference yet, just modeling free style. I'll fix the proportions after it's all blocked in.

Cage02.jpg

Getting me excited calactyte, looking really good. I don't know how the 3D software works, but if you could apply a slight bit of contrast to his outfit, that may cover up a few imperfections as well. I'm not certain that this is what it needs, but it works sometimes. Also, if you want and can, he may need a light source more in front of his face, I'm sure the light source from above him could stay as well.

Bleed, I can already see Cage is on the right track, keep it up.

Shang portrait is coming along well, I'm working on him right now, maybe tomorrow if I'm not finished I'll at least show whats going on so far.

Keep it up guys, we might even get somewhere eventually. :)

Last edited:
@Bleed, looking good, can't wait till you shape Cage out of it. I think it's great you are trying and learning different techniques and approaches, that way it won't become boring routine.

Here's what I got
Shang_Portrait_Smaller.jpg

I think he's pretty much done, suggestions? Keep in mind, once again, I'm showing it larger than it will be at scale.

And for comparison..
20t01aa.gif

Added red to the ends of the gold bars on his chest, not sure what was going on in the original, but I thought this might add some familiarity.

Click the pictures to see the full qualities.

Last edited:
Looking great so far MrMos3s

The painted highlights are too obvious in some places like the cheeks. It looks fuzzy and you can tell it was air brushed. You could try using a hard edge brush for that or maybe some layer styles.

The eyebrows need to be re done, painted one strand at a time with different shades of gray and a hard edge brush. Should look more like the hair on his head, with a few stragglers.

Looking great so far MrMos3s

The painted highlights are too obvious in some places like the cheeks. It looks fuzzy and you can tell it was air brushed. You could try using a hard edge brush for that or maybe some layer styles.

The eyebrows need to be re done, painted one strand at a time with different shades of gray and a hard edge brush. Should look more like the hair on his head, with a few stragglers.

Sounds about right, thank you sir. I was kind of thinking that about the cheek fuzzyness as well but had been looking at it for so long at that point that I wasn't sure. lol

Last edited: