Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

This is how far I'm taking the character before I retop it.

Lots of problems with the face and the arms lack love ^^

I did a quick paint job just for fun ^^

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP02.jpg

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP03.jpg

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP04.jpg

But Taking him in to 3D coat now to give him propper topolegy.

Yeah, they're like basic white sneakers:

1zvzlsp.png

Here is something I've noticed that is inconsistent; when you watch the behind the scenes videos when they were filming Kano and Johnny Cage, they are in a grey room, but I've seen this photo before of Liu Kang on a blue screen. I wonder if they switched to blue screen halfway through the filming of the characters?

Also, both Daniel Pesina and Rich Divizio were sitting on a staircase for their flying kicks, yet, Ho Sung Pak is sitting on the ground for his.

Good start. Obviously the fingers need work as well right?

If I understand your workflow properly..

Step1. zBrush- gets initial shape and form of body and face.

Step2. 3D Coat to retopo so that you can add more details(in zBrush) in face, hands, feet, chest as well as setup edge loop flow for animation. UV layout I guess can be done here also.

Step3. zBrush again to refine details? Polypaint in zBrush?

Step4. Export high resolution mesh and subtools from zBrush into xNormal to export high resolution normal/displacement maps.

Do I understand your workflow correctly?

Also I should mention this now before you get too far along with retopo. He will need a mouth sock with upper and lower, gums, teeth and tongue. His face will need a decent amount of polys for facial animations. I think Lui Kang probably has the most expressive face of all the characters.

Here is something I've noticed that is inconsistent; when you watch the behind the scenes videos when they were filming Kano and Johnny Cage, they are in a grey room, but I've seen this photo before of Liu Kang on a blue screen. I wonder if they switched to blue screen halfway through the filming of the characters?

Also, both Daniel Pesina and Rich Divizio were sitting on a staircase for their flying kicks, yet, Ho Sung Pak is sitting on the ground for his.

Image of Kang in front of the blue screen is not from the game:

1qn3lw.png

The angle, pose and lighting are all different. I don't think they used blue screen until MK3.
Don't know where this pic came from, maybe some sort of demonstration for a show,
something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMilCuI6cgk
(starts at about 03:15 mark)

I just posted the pic for the sneakers, they look like the ones used in the game.

Last edited:
Good start. Obviously the fingers need work as well right?

If I understand your workflow properly..

Step1. zBrush- gets initial shape and form of body and face.

Step2. 3D Coat to retopo so that you can add more details(in zBrush) in face, hands, feet, chest as well as setup edge loop flow for animation. UV layout I guess can be done here also.

Step3. zBrush again to refine details? Polypaint in zBrush?

Step4. Export high resolution mesh and subtools from zBrush into xNormal to export high resolution normal/displacement maps.

Do I understand your workflow correctly?

Also I should mention this now before you get too far along with retopo. He will need a mouth sock with upper and lower, gums, teeth and tongue. His face will need a decent amount of polys for facial animations. I think Lui Kang probably has the most expressive face of all the characters.

Almoust correct, This time I begun in maya with a really simple quad mesh to get basic proportions. I then did a bit of sculping in Zbrush and I have now agreed with myself I like the direction its taking. So now I will use a combo of 3D Coat and maya to make propper edge flow. And Yes I fully intend to make a animateable face ;) UV's will most likly be done in Maya.

AND NO THE HANDS ARE PERFECT, I belive box hands are the future :p (I have not even touched them so far ^^)

And yes final stage is Xnormal for Normal map, Oclusion map and baked polypaint. I don't think I need a displacement map ^^

hi my BUDDY (bleed).
did u seen the game : "death cargo" ?
that is Amazing for a 2d fighting game.
did u thought about use its engine for your work?
I have downloaded that and test the latest version of it (beta v6-384mb).
if u want it, i can give u a true link.(it's rare)

hi my BUDDY (bleed).
did u seen the game : "death cargo" ?
that is Amazing for a 2d fighting game.
did u thought about use its engine for your work?
I have downloaded that and test the latest version of it (beta v6-384mb).
if u want it, i can give u a true link.(it's rare)

Ok Shang is just about fully Rigged. Hands are looking good. Bottom of the skirt might be problematic for certain poses. I'm not 100% sure. I need to add bones to the belt cloth as well. Not sure if I should create sleeve bones or not to make his sleeves roll up or down. But here is a simple win pose to hold you over..

Shang_WinPose.png

Low Punch A ~ Low Punch B combo is ready.

ScorpMK1HD_LPA_LPB.gif

Being able to animate the sleeves separate from the arms would be nice.

Last edited:
LOL, I love your sense of humor man. Can you tell I'm a control freak and a perfectionist? Anyway keep up the good work.

Almoust correct, This time I begun in maya with a really simple quad mesh to get basic proportions. I then did a bit of sculping in Zbrush and I have now agreed with myself I like the direction its taking. So now I will use a combo of 3D Coat and maya to make propper edge flow. And Yes I fully intend to make a animateable face ;) UV's will most likly be done in Maya.

AND NO THE HANDS ARE PERFECT, I belive box hands are the future :p (I have not even touched them so far ^^)

And yes final stage is Xnormal for Normal map, Oclusion map and baked polypaint. I don't think I need a displacement map ^^

Today I worked on topolegy mostly.

Here is the original box mesh I made for initial sculpting.

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP05.jpg

Here it is after a trip in zbrush, the lwerst sub division of my high ress mesh

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP06.jpg

Here is the current model after topolegy, I took the screen cap before I added ears and hands ;)

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP07.jpg

And Finally I started working on the likeness of the actor, I am closer but still a lot to do.

Any sugestions and feedback is welcome ^^

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP08.jpg

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP09.jpg

Ok Shang is just about fully Rigged. Hands are looking good. Bottom of the skirt might be problematic for certain poses. I'm not 100% sure. I need to add bones to the belt cloth as well. Not sure if I should create sleeve bones or not to make his sleeves roll up or down. But here is a simple win pose to hold you over..

Shang_WinPose.png

That is awesome calactyte,and the Textures are 100% accurate:)

I agree with the guy who said that you can make extra sprites for shang, or at least some intro (story) scenes.

well done cal.

@bleed, great work as always. and the good thing is that it's one of those many scorp/sub/reptile animation.thanks

The topology is looking good on Kang, especially on the face. The sculpting looks too early for critique, so not much to say about it yet.

Looks nice. I would lengthen the nose. Pay special attention to the distance between upper lip and bottom of the nose. Lips are too wide. Upper lip isnt thick enough...eyes are also a bit to wide. Bottom part of eyes should be slightly rounder. Very very good start though..

lestath;576494]Closer but still not rigth ^^

Forfun.jpg

Going to sleep now ^^[/QUOTE]

Nice job, he's coming along alright.. Few minor things - his muscles especially arms
look too big for an Asian martial arts guy. And his pants could be a bit more baggier,
the spot where left trouser meets the right one (below his manhood) could be a bit lower.
Can't wait for the next update, keep up the good work man. As for the likeness I think it'll
be ok with few more updates. I think Bleed can give you a good advice, he did an amazing
spot-on job on Carlos Pesina. Anywayz, keep up the good work!

Someone mentioned adding more animations for Shang. If it comes to that, I personally
would like to see these two, they were intended for the game but never made it which is a shame.
One is the second winning pose (which would go great with Shang laughing sound fx that exists
in the game) and the other a sword fatality which is just badass:

2afa6c1.gif
2wmmm9y.gif