Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

The polygon count doesn't really matter, because it's for 2D sprites not a real time 3D render.

It's still a good idea to stay around that limit, for personal use. If you want to use it in a demo reel, or if we start using a 3D engine at some point, the model could be used as is.

I don't go as high as you would for a film quality model, because I want to try it in a 3D engine later on. A lighter mesh is easier to work with in general. I've been thinking about going full HD on the next one though, just to have something with that level of detail. That's full classic modeling, using normal maps for minor details, and actually modeling all the forms.

If you wanted to make a photoreal model like that, it's up to you.

I can rig and skin your model, unless somebody else want's to do so.

Last edited:
Yeah I am not a fan of extra polys for extra poly sake. The lighter the polys the easier it will be to rig and do facial expression in my opinion. I said 7.5K because retopoed Goro comes to about that and we only need enough polys to maintain a good silohouette. I know movie resolution polys are higher but for our purposes I think it might be over kill. Id say use 7.5K as a guide and if needs more just use your instinct

Well got a visit from a buddy today so most of this day went away with gaming mk9 ^^

Speaking of zBrush, do you know how to use it?

I recently started working profesionally with 3D but I don't really got anything reecent online at the moment ^^

My Workflow:
Zbrush (Here I make a solid base with propper proportions)
3D Coat (Retop for propper animation freandly meshes)
Maya (I jump in an out of maya all the time adding stuff ^^)
Zbrush for Polypaint and then I bake Normal maps and polypaint on to the low poly with XNormal.
Photoshop for lots of cleanup ^^

I can rig and skin your model, unless somebody else want's to do so.

Fantastic thank you ^^

I can keep the count around 6 or 7 k.

Thank you guys so much for you freandly responses and I am very much looking forward to working with you. I will start working full time on this tomorow ^^

(Sorry for bad spelling I'm not English ^^)

You might be just the shot in the arm this project need to get us to a completed stage that much sooner. Thanks for your help!

On the rigging front. I'm very happy to report that I've learned that you really need at least three bones of influence to properly rig most skin. I was trying to simplify with just 2 bones of influence and I learned that isn't quite the correct method. Now my skin interpenetration problems are all gone. Figured I'd post this in case this helps anyone out.

Well got a visit from a buddy today so most of this day went away with gaming mk9 ^^

I recently started working profesionally with 3D but I don't really got anything reecent online at the moment ^^

My Workflow:
Zbrush (Here I make a solid base with propper proportions)
3D Coat (Retop for propper animation freandly meshes)
Maya (I jump in an out of maya all the time adding stuff ^^)
Zbrush for Polypaint and then I bake Normal maps and polypaint on to the low poly with XNormal.
Photoshop for lots of cleanup ^^

Fantastic thank you ^^

I can keep the count around 6 or 7 k.

Thank you guys so much for you freandly responses and I am very much looking forward to working with you. I will start working full time on this tomorow ^^

(Sorry for bad spelling I'm not English ^^)

Can you explain further? Are you talking about twist bones, like 3 on the forearm or something else?

Example?

Sure, sorry about that. I was so happy to finally figure it out. So basically I've gone over the workflow a bit. Shang as you've seen him had a full body underneath that clothing. I've since gone back in and deleted any skin not visible underneath the clothing. That meant that the skin of his body consists of the head bust and hands. When I started to rig Shang using the standard biped bones I started by rigging the head bust. I attached that head bust to just head bone and 1 neck bone. This resulted in head turns making parts of the skin (lower neck) interpenetrate the pieces of (robe clothing) when his head turned. The problem was I need to add Spine 3 as a third bone of influence. Originally I had just Head and Neck bones with 50/50 influence. That keeps the lower part of the neck in the head bust in place while the neck and head were still flexible. I'm sure this is probably basic stuff for you Bleed. For me it was an epiphany. Hope that explains it better.

@X_Lestath here's Liu Kang/Ho Sung Pak references;

http://minus.com/mbnY1RUuDz/

It's a 3MB .rar file containing

Face - from movies, facebook, making of MK2
Body - movies and mostly making of MK2
Pants - baggy training pants almost identical to the ones in the game
MK rips - rips from the game, frontal sprites and Test Your Might ones,
upscaled screen from original arcade resolution to 720 in height, that should be the scale

That's it, hope it helps.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I do know but thanks, I was curious. Every once in a while you come across something interesting like that, it's good to know.

@X_Lestath here's Liu Kang/Ho Sung Pak references;

http://minus.com/mbnY1RUuDz/

It's a 3MB .rar file containing

Face - from movies, facebook, making of MK2
Body - movies and mostly making of MK2
Pants - baggy training pants almost identical to the ones in the game
MK rips - rips from the game, frontal sprites and Test Your Might ones,
upscaled screen from original arcade resolution to 720 in height, that should be the scale

That's it, hope it helps.

Amazing! can you post a reference for Kano please?

Hey calactyte, figured I'd throw this at you ahead of time for when you're finished with Shang enough to pose him for the battle plan portrait.

I believe he's got 3 main light sources, all white colored lights. From above, the side and the larger bulb on the right is the best way I could show that it's closer to the camera and more infront/side of his face.

Does Shang have more storyline photos in MK1? I'm drawing a blank right now.

shang.png

edit: the closer ball of light on the right should probably be slightly higher than I have it, as long as he has a little shadow under his high cheek bones.

Last edited:
Oh great thanks, that will be helpful for the portrait image.

Hey calactyte, figured I'd throw this at you ahead of time for when you're finished with Shang enough to pose him for the battle plan portrait.

I believe he's got 3 main light sources, all white colored lights. From above, the side and the larger bulb on the right is the best way I could show that it's closer to the camera and more infront/side of his face.

Does Shang have more storyline photos in MK1? I'm drawing a blank right now.

View attachment 4112

edit: the closer ball of light on the right should probably be slightly higher than I have it, as long as he has a little shadow under his high cheek bones.

Hey guys worked on it for a few hours and lost all my work when I tried to divide a Dynamesh into polygroups.

Lost a lot of todays motivation after that but Begun again after a coffe brake. I will most likly get it a lot closer to final sculpt tomorow. This is after all an extremly simple character design ^^

I mostly worked on the torso so far using photo refrence from MK 2 La Luna gave me. I think he migth look a bit to buff rigth now and that mainly comes from photos actor Ho Sung Pak is flexing his man powers ^^

Open for all input but this is really early and theres a ton of things I have not started on ;)

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP01.jpg

I have seen a fantastic Goro and Clasic ninja so far. Are there any more finished characters I can see?

Nice start, the stages are all done, some music, the UI, some projectiles. The characters are what's taking a long time.

We had some people come and go, working on different models. Goro, Shang and Liu were started by a different Artist, MKGojira but he couldn't stay. There was Kano, only the head was started as far as I know. Sonya is still a wip, pretty far along.

I started on Cage, but that's far from done. I made his head for Scorpion, because it's the same actor.

Raiden is rigged, but not textured.

And the stuff you see on the last pages, there's a lot of work started but not ready for sprites.

Looks like we are holding strong for the most part, the thread has been pretty active, people are doing their part.

Nice start, the stages are all done, some music, the UI, some projectiles. The characters are what's taking a long time.

We had some people come and go, working on different models. Goro, Shang and Liu were started by a different Artist, MKGojira but he couldn't stay. There was Kano, only the head was started as far as I know. Sonya is still a wip, pretty far along.

I started on Cage, but that's far from done. I made his head for Scorpion, because it's the same actor.

Raiden is rigged, but not textured.

And the stuff you see on the last pages, there's a lot of work started but not ready for sprites.

Looks like we are holding strong for the most part, the thread has been pretty active, people are doing their part.

Cool, I can do Kano after Liu Kang if people like my work ^^

Unless he is claimed ^^

I mostly worked on the torso so far using photo refrence from MK 2 La Luna gave me. I think he migth look a bit to buff rigth now and that mainly comes from photos actor Ho Sung Pak is flexing his man powers ^^

Open for all input but this is really early and theres a ton of things I have not started on ;)

XLestath-LiuKang-WIP01.jpg

Definitely looks like a promising start so far.

Definitely looks like a promising start so far.
Working on rigging shangs hand. Then Ill mirror the weights to the other side. Shang is coming along 4 fingers are weighted nicely. Im having some trouble in the shoulder area but nothing I cant overcome. His beard is setup with dynamics. I was thinking it would be cool if his hair blew around like it was windy when he casts his skull projectiles.

Hey guys a lot of progress today. I got a question about Liu's shoes, in all the refrence from mk 1 they kind of look like white sneakers to me and I don't think thats rigth.

Anyone know what they should look like?

Hi guys, just registered to ask, will you change color palletes to make UMK3 Rain, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Tremor, and so on.
I just downloaded UMK3 Scorpion and I'll see what can I do.

We aren't focusing on anything outside of Mortal Kombat 1. Bleed posts his side UMK3 work here from time to time but as of now it isn't something we'd talk about until maybe 6-7 years from now when we would be doing a UMK3 HD remake.

Hi guys, just registered to ask, will you change color palletes to make UMK3 Rain, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Tremor, and so on.
I just downloaded UMK3 Scorpion and I'll see what can I do.