Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Raiden is modeled and rigged but lacks any kind of texturing for his skin or clothing. That shouldn't take Bleed very long once he gets done with Scorpion/Sub/Reptile.

Kano, Cage, Lui Kang haven't really been started yet.

I got the character scale from taking a screen shot of mame, and scaling it to 1280x720 in Photoshop.

Render the 3D model to match the sprites at that scale.

With that, if you play Mugen at 1280X720, the sprites will display at 100% scale without compression.

The compression happens if the sprites are scaled with code to fit right on screen.

Last edited:
Bleed when you get a chance will you take a screenshot of Shang from mame and scale it to the correct height for me? There is too much room for error if I do it by myself. Then you can send me a jpg or psd and I'll render to that exact scale.

If I got what Bleed is saying correctly, this is the deal:

Original arcade resolution is 400X254 (aspect ratio 1.57:1)

Original arcade 400X254:
erk6s9.png

Remake is said to be in HD resolution of 1280X720 (aspect ratio 1.78 : 1)

Now, if you simply enlarge 400X254 original screen to 1280X720 one, you are stretching
the image (different aspect ratios) and your characters don't have original proportions anymore...
they become "fatter" like this

Stretched to 1280X720 (aspect ratio 1.78 : 1)
pbo11.png

To keep original natural proportions, you have to keep the original aspect ratio of 1.57:1
Since we can't go beyond 720 height, max resolution you can enlarge your screen is
1134X720 (aspect radio 1.57:1 same as the original) Now you have your proportions intact:
bi01ld.png

The end result should be, characters enlarged with original aspect radio 1.57:1 placed in
1.78 : 1 environment. In other words characters enlarged to 1134X720, placed on a 1280X720 screen:
20r5x10.png

Long story short catalyte, enlarge original MAME screenshot of 400X254 to 1134X720, and base
your models proportions on that. I believe this is what Bleed did, if I understood him correctly.

Raiden is modeled and rigged but lacks any kind of texturing for his skin or clothing. That shouldn't take Bleed very long once he gets done with Scorpion/Sub/Reptile.

Kano, Cage, Lui Kang haven't really been started yet.

There was someone working on Liu Kang and posted images of him. I just haven't heard anything else since then. Also I have seen a headshot of a Kano render but again it's off the radar.

@ttas, Kang and Kano were started by people who I think no longer show up here.
I guess they'll have to be created by somebody else from scratch.

@calactyte, here's few frontal sprites and a stance upscaled to 720 with correct aspect ratio:

2ue5z0k.png

The last one is not used in the game, it's him laughing after victory but it's a good frontal pic for scaling.

Also, here's Bleeds work compared to the original, just to see how he does it:

1627bqa.png

Goro update!

Looks awesome. Belt and lower half being worked on. Face proportion are exact now. My buddy who sculpted this matched to the original pixel for pixel. Now it will be about lighting him correctly in game.

http://grab.by/fbme

I think I liked the old eyes a little better (I think they were slightly darker with shades of red), and the teeth need 'something', maybe just his mouth closed?

Other than that, I'd say stick a spoon in it cause it's done. Really nice details.

Last edited:
hey guys,
would like to say that you've got an amazingly talented group of people working on this project! :hail:
been reading through every post for days and days now with tons of excitement for this game! :)
as this should of been what the "Mortal Kombat: Hd Kollection" should of entailed...

now... i know this game is suppose to be as faithful to the original arcade MK I as possible... but, just like everyone else, questions and suggestions do come to mind though... so i'll try to keep them as brief as possible...

Suggestions...

Punching Fix: in mortal kombat 1, i remember you could just button mash the punch button and deplete your enemies entire life bar without even being knocked back, to give your enemy a chance to fight back, especially while punch juggling them in a corner... definitely should be addressed, as it seemed to be a major gaming flaw.... at least in my opinion

Round House Kick: is one of the main game play elements that separated mortal kombat I from mortal kombat II, making the game play a ton better!... since in the first MK, having an uppercut as the only enemy launching move kind of made game play become stagnant / stale faster, in comparison to mortal kombat II... also the round house kick launch from mortal kombat II gave the game a much needed rhythm / flow to it... just saying

Standalone Game: would be nice that when you guys finish and release the game, that when you upload the game, it was a completely self contained game, having everything that is needed in order for it to run, and would also be easier for people to do console conversions of it (for modded xbox's, dreamcast's, etc) down the road...

Ideas...

Reptile: As i was reading through the posts, i remember at one point there was a debate on weather or not reptile should have his original move set (ice, spear) or should use his own signature MK II move set (acid, force ball) when you fight against him as a secret character at the bottom of the pit... now personally, i think it would be sweet if when you fight against him as a secret character, he remains faithful using only his original MK I move set (subs ice, scorps spear)... but once you beat him, think it would be sweet if he became a fully unlocked playable character (in the middle of the player select screen, where the dragon logo is), and as a playable character he should use all of his mortal kombat II moves (acid spit, force ball)... so then you would have the best of both worlds

Likes...

Scorpions Eyes: they look a lot better 'hazed' instead of 100 % white or with normal looking pupils as bleed has clearly pointed out

Dislikes...

Raiden's Huge Hat: for the love of god, please tell me that you guys don't plan on using his gigantic star war's looking hat when he is actually fighting, as it would take up half of the screen and look rather silly... ;) ... but would seem all right for any of the picture cut scenes... just sayin

keep up the good work guys!
your all amazing! :)

Last edited:
calactyte, the body looks amazing, im not 100% sure about the eyes color and the teeth

Hey Badmouse,

Not too concerned about the eyes or teeth since you won't really see either. His mouth is closed 95% of the time. His eyes are almost always in complete shadow.

Initially we won't do anything different than the arcade. Eventually though we've talked about doing an MK1.5 which could incorporate some of those ideas.

The giant Raiden hat was from the movie Big Trouble in Little China. Raiden makes an appearance and has that huge hat. Bleed was inspired by it and wanted see what it would look like. Probably something we'd add as an alternate costume for MK 1.5.

hey guys,
would like to say that you've got an amazingly talented group of people working on this project! :hail:
been reading through every post for days and days now with tons of excitement for this game! :)
as this should of been what the "Mortal Kombat: Hd Kollection" should of entailed...

now... i know this game is suppose to be as faithful to the original arcade MK I as possible... but, just like everyone else, questions and suggestions do come to mind though... so i'll try to keep them as brief as possible...

Suggestions...

Punching Fix: in mortal kombat 1, i remember you could just button mash the punch button and deplete your enemies entire life bar without even being knocked back, to give your enemy a chance to fight back, especially while punch juggling them in a corner... definitely should be addressed, as it seemed to be a major gaming flaw.... at least in my opinion

Round House Kick: is one of the main game play elements that separated mortal kombat I from mortal kombat II, making the game play a ton better!... since in the first MK, having an uppercut as the only enemy launching move kind of made game play become stagnant / stale faster, in comparison to mortal kombat II... also the round house kick launch from mortal kombat II gave the game a much needed rhythm / flow to it... just saying

Standalone Game: would be nice that when you guys finish and release the game, that when you upload the game, it was a completely self contained game, having everything that is needed in order for it to run, and would also be easier for people to do console conversions of it (for modded xbox's, dreamcast's, etc) down the road...

Ideas...

Reptile: As i was reading through the posts, i remember at one point there was a debate on weather or not reptile should have his original move set (ice, spear) or should use his own signature MK II move set (acid, force ball) when you fight against him as a secret character at the bottom of the pit... now personally, i think it would be sweet if when you fight against him as a secret character, he remains faithful using only his original MK I move set (subs ice, scorps spear)... but once you beat him, think it would be sweet if he became a fully unlocked playable character (in the middle of the player select screen, where the dragon logo is), and as a playable character he should use all of his mortal kombat II moves (acid spit, force ball)... so then you would have the best of both worlds

Likes...

Scorpions Eyes: they look a lot better 'hazed' instead of 100 % white or with normal looking pupils as bleed has clearly pointed out

Dislikes...

Raiden's Huge Hat: for the love of god, please tell me that you guys don't plan on using his gigantic star war's looking hat when he is actually fighting, as it would take up half of the screen and look rather silly... ;) ... but would seem all right for any of the picture cut scenes... just sayin

Haha :gr_jest:... it's nice to know that you guys have a good sense of humor as well... as developer character shows / goes a long way in video games (easter eggs, jokes, references, etc)...

Updates would be good (MK 1 - MK 1.5, etc)... i'm just wondering would the updates be add on files or new fully fledged out games that you delete the old one? (as i don't have the slightest clue as to how mugen operates)... because i think nothing is worse than when game developers come out with something that is really good (to some) and works well in there game, but due to space considerations they end up taking away options and features for new stuff in their updates (like removing endurance mode for tag team... would of preferred to have 2-4 player endurance battles over tag team any day)... as removing stuff seems like an awful way to go about things (unless the said removed material was completely broken and absolutely necessary)... that updates should mainly be all about fixing / adding kontent (at least that's what many would figure anyways)... not many game developers use the 'take away' method anymore nowadays (which is good), but nothing is worse then when there was an option or a key feature that you've always activated / used, only to find out that it is no longer available to you in the newly updated game (but it worked out before and should of remained in the game, because the more options, the merrier)... not that i think you guys would be taking this working approach (at all, really)... but it's always something to consider (unless your like some game companies that like to split up their fan bases.. lol)... just saying

Still really hoping though that when the game is complete, that it could work on modded consoles, as it did have a large fan base on the console market as well (though the arcade versions were the definitive versions, just like the sf series)... and a game of this caliber, i'd find way more enjoyable playing on a hd tv with a game pad over playing it on my laptop (which all depends, because most laptops aren't really ideal for high quality gaming, like gaming pc rigs are, least in my humble opinion)... as having a variety of platform choices to play this game would be golden (if possible)...

but i'll shut up now, as i've gabbed entirely way too much for someone who has absolutely no physical involvement on this project whatsoever (unfortunately)... ;)

can't wait to seem more pic's, gif's and watch the show unfold! :)

Initially we won't do anything different than the arcade. Eventually though we've talked about doing an MK1.5 which could incorporate some of those ideas.

The giant Raiden hat was from the movie Big Trouble in Little China. Raiden makes an appearance and has that huge hat. Bleed was inspired by it and wanted see what it would look like. Probably something we'd add as an alternate costume for MK 1.5.

Last edited:
Goro looks much better now. I did prefer the other eyes he had, but it's not a huge deal. It's funny how he has a sort of plasticy look like an action figure, since that's what the original Goro model basically was. haha

Will Shang Tsung and Goro be a playable character or just a boss? Even if they aren't going to be playable, it would be cool if they could do a fatality.

hey guys,

Suggestions...

Ideas...

Likes...

Dislikes...

You have valid points about the gameplay problems. The endless punch was a pain in the ass, when the computer would catch you in a punch frenzy and you can't get away and end up dying. The roundhouse was something I tend to forget about when I play MK1, and when I use it expecting the enemy to fly back and they just stumble a few feet it messes me up. Especially since I think they recover faster than the one doing the roundhouse.