Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Ok I traced all the fonts for the timer and health bars..built all the health bars also empty and not empty.

throne_room_HD_UI_UX.jpg

The Dragons are in the air again ;)

Ok I created I redrew and reanimated all of the text for Fight, Finish Her!! and Finish Him!!

I'll include a heavily compressed and ugly version here as a gif animation. Interloko I'll be sending you these animation files as .PNG sequences..so enjoy that.

http://www.jtresca.com/test/FinishHim_Gif.gif

Yeah it doesn't look like much but it's all redrawn.

http://www.jtresca.com/test/throne_room_HD_UI_UX.jpg

Also sending along the above Photoshop file which has all the redrawn numbers for the timer along
with the redrawn names of the characters with health bar status and victory medals.

So we're moving right along now.

OK, thank you, then I'll take Palace Gates. Do you work in 3D Max, or what programs? I also thought about the same props in these 3 stages, they must look equally.

quick feedback: i see too big the lifebars, numbers (scores) and names in lifebars
i'll check the files in an hour or so, i need to do first some stuff here.. at work XD

I only now have Max 9, but these versions have no important differences:) If possible, would be cool if you send me these props, so i'll use them in Palace Gates. I also have beautiful Buddha and pagoda models, the rest is not hard to create.

ok i have the file, i'll try to make the stage tonight. i can't ahndle very well big images here due to my netbook resolution :p. so probably i'll post a video of it next sunday. sorry, i don't have internet access at my new home yet..
is there any recommended free screen capture software you know?

I don't actually have any probs that would belong on that stage built yet. You have the buddah statue? Can you post a screenshot of that? I'd love to see it. Do you use zBrush?

I only now have Max 9, but these versions have no important differences:) If possible, would be cool if you send me these props, so i'll use them in Palace Gates. I also have beautiful Buddha and pagoda models, the rest is not hard to create.

I just want to shoot two reminders in here:

1. Don't forget to render everything for 720/1080.

and

2. Don't forget to keep the character sizes the same stage-to-sprite ratio as the original games, changing the sizes and making them bigger to compensate for HD is only going to result in the same problems the SNES and Genesis games suffered from. There's a proper way to upscale the original sprites that will give the correct aspect for the 3D models.

I still can't get over the wonderful work everyone's doing. This could turn out to be one of the best projects ever done in fighting game history (does MUGEN have online support?)

Last edited:
I just want to shoot two reminders in here:

1. Don't forget to render everything for 720/1080.

and

2. Don't forget to keep the character sizes the same stage-to-sprite ratio as the original games, changing the sizes and making them bigger to compensate for HD is only going to result in the same problems the SNES and Genesis games suffered from. There's a proper way to upscale the original sprites that will give the correct aspect for the 3D models.

I still can't get over the wonderful work everyone's doing. This could turn out to be one of the best projects ever done in fighting game history (does MUGEN have online support?)

Seems like 720 is what they are shooting for. But yeah stage to sprite ratio was one thing I've been concerned about here. Although if they are rendering for 1080\720 the sprites will still need to be larger than the original but yeah the proportions should be maintained. One can compare the height of the sprite to the screen of the remake compared to the original... or see how big the original sprites are when upscaled to a certain resolution like at 720 they tend to be 375-380px tall. And if you stacked two of them on top of each other the tops of their heads get cut off at the top of the screen. To me a little over 1/2 the height of the screen seems about right. Half of 720 for example is 360 and they seem to be around 380 pixels tall when scaled to 720 resolution.

But they could and should verify that for themselves by checking the original arcade game (AND NOT I REPEAT NOT THE HOME VERSIONS) Instead of just taking my word for it.

Not all characters are the exact same height though I'm sure but if they proportionally scaled up the original sprites to the target resolution so they get the same size of canvas and used that as a guideline I think they should be able to do it.

The problem the home versions especially the 16-bit versions (Genesis, SNES) suffered from where the characters ending up being too small because of hardware restrictions. Also they tended to draw over them to fit them within the palette limitations of the hardware.. this is especially apparent in the SNES version of MKII when you see certain characters like Raiden in his victory pose and you see his face compared to the arcade.

Last edited:
we can keep the ratio but the screen still wider than arcade, so gameplay will be affected by that.
anyway, i think it will be cool at the end. i can't wait for it. MK1 is my favourite :)

Ok I created I redrew and reanimated all of the text for Fight, Finish Her!! and Finish Him!!

I'll include a heavily compressed and ugly version here as a gif animation. Interloko I'll be sending you these animation files as .PNG sequences..so enjoy that.

http://www.jtresca.com/test/FinishHim_Gif.gif

Yeah it doesn't look like much but it's all redrawn.

http://www.jtresca.com/test/throne_room_HD_UI_UX.jpg

Also sending along the above Photoshop file which has all the redrawn numbers for the timer along
with the redrawn names of the characters with health bar status and victory medals.

So we're moving right along now.

Looking good although the grain in the empty life bar needs to be more of a stoney grain. :)

we can keep the ratio but the screen still wider than arcade, so gameplay will be affected by that.
anyway, i think it will be cool at the end. i can't wait for it. MK1 is my favourite :)

Shouldn't be too bad and I prefer that they keep it widescreen and not pillarbox it. The important thing here is the size of the sprites to the height of the screen to maintain the look.

People kept on saying that in the HD remake thread when it was rumored as if it was a bad thing. I maintain it wont\wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Besides, 16:9 is only a little wider it's not cinemascope or anything. One can debate whether or not there'd be a difference and whether or not it'd be a bad thing till their blue in the face but until one tries it out one can't dismiss it offhand. Either way I'd prefer it to stretching a 4:3 game to fill the screen screwing up the proportions of the characters making them fatter. :p

People here are doing just that with the rereleases of MK on the consoles... stretching it. :p

Last edited:
throne room keep the ratio based on an arcade image scaled to 720, we should do the same with characters.
some days ago i sent badmouse a big image of pit/pit bottom (altogether) to be sure we work with the right proportions ;)

I am almost finished with one of the projectiles, I'll try to have something this weekend. It's taking long because I have an important project which requires my attention. I like how this remake is coming so far. =D

cool MikeyMK! next week i'll try to have something working ;)
i'll start with a stage (throne room) and i'll scale a character to start coding basic stuff :p

I have some news for any Mac users watching. Yesterday I tested out making a wrapper for the default MUGEN just to see how well it would work making a standalone wrapped mac app out of it. It was trivially easy for me to do and displays perfectly. If you have a 27 inch iMac like myself your screen is also perfect to display 1280x720 since it is 16:9.

Anyway the only one drawback is so far I haven't gotten joystick support to work. I had to use a joystick to keyboard mapping software called "Controllermate" to do it. That's just for now though I may or may not figure how to make joystick support work with the native support in the engine. Barring that I may provide some profiles (or instructions) for the different controllers I have available here to make profiles for which are the following:

Xbox360 Wireless Controller, Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 and the SNES smartjoy adapter with either the SNES pad or a ASCII Fighter Stick SN. The latter being the one I tested MUGEN out with last night. I've had that since the mid 90's and it's still going strong. I use that to play pretty much all SNES\MAME games. The former are some of the most popular pads I've noticed lots of people who use gamepads use either the 360 pad or a logitech.

Each of those has a different button layout so one can't do a one size fits all profile for them.

Also I wanted to note that I like the size of the lifebar\time\etc. it seems a nice size to go with the new aspect ratio of the screen.

Last edited: