Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Just my observation but does anyone like Goro with the red eyes better? He looks too blah with the blacked-out eyes.

Just like Scorpion, since you guys are working with Higher Definition sprites, I thought the point of this project was to improve on the original where it made sense and to better represent the original concept for each character (ie: Goro with Red eyes, Scorpion with white specter eyes).

How do you make the sprites in better quality rather than being pixelated?

The sprites have to be like 4 times larger than normal. Big enough to fit in the HD window without stretching.

If you put them in mugen, they will show up really big, like Jax's stomp fatality. The character needs to be assigned the correct screen resolution with the localcoord setting in their .def file.

Like this

localcoord = 1280,720

If they are still not the right size, you can scale the character in their .cns file, under basic settings [size] section.

[size]
xscale = 1
yscale = 1

Cant wait to see one what you come up with for with the fatalitys bleed,im a huge fan of your work.. The original MK was so campy and cool and to all the people involved with this id like to say your doing a great job in resurrecting this classic..I dont know who all was responsible for the throne room stage,or goros lair but that was top notch as well..

Ok so here is what I've got going on:

-I've improved Goro's eyes to make them look much closer to the original.
-I've slightly altered the texture on his face to make it non-uniform. So near the cheeks and around the mouth area there are smaller pores that gradually become larger pores.
-Added detail the brow squint area.
-Tweaked the skin again, so it is less tan and more orange like the original.
-Added colored lights.
-Added detail to Goro's Lips

See the attached result:

GORO_PORTRAIT_RAW_C.png

MrMos3s the floor is yours tweak away and make Goro's Portrait image look awesome.

Here's the best way for me to illustrate without one of those nifty 3D softwares..

If it would be an easy change and you guys find it necessary, maybe calactyte could try to apply this to his model, and you could apply it to the Goro lives model for us to compare/decide..

View attachment 3707

Like the orbs I added in the picture, move the main warmer light to the front-mid region of Goro, and if it's possible, a bluer light coming directly from the top left (his right) and this should work for both the Goro Lives background and his Portrait background (if everything works like the original)

EDIT: I see now that I brought the warmer light too close to Goro, otherwise the insides of his arms would be glowing as well. Hopefully what I intended still came through.

Ok so here is what I've got going on:

-I've improved Goro's eyes to make them look much closer to the original.
-I've slightly altered the texture on his face to make it non-uniform. So near the cheeks and around the mouth area there are smaller pores that gradually become larger pores.
-Added detail the brow squint area.
-Tweaked the skin again, so it is less tan and more orange like the original.
-Added colored lights.

See the attached result:

GORO_PORTRAIT_RAW_C.png

Wow, impressive work!
My only suggestion, and please don't punch my face, but are you able to make the blue light a little more off to his side and less in front of his face?

I don't know though, it might be good, this is looking really good to me. Maybe you can wait for more opinions.
gorolist-idea2.jpg

That looks pretty realistic to the original render...only thing is the eyes look a little stretched apart. But other than that...it looks awesome.

That battle plan image of "Goro" looks tight!!!! I would like to see the other characters pictures too!!!!!

I also wonder if the HD Render are going to have the same specialty moves or, some enhanced or new added moves to their arsenal?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was in MK 1 it will be our version, if not it won't be.

We are considering an MK 1.5 where we add in new ideas but for now we're focusing on just getting this version done.

I also wonder if the HD Render are going to have the same specialty moves or, some enhanced or new added moves to their arsenal?

I kinda feel that Goro is starting to look like an alien rather than a shokan.

GORO_PORTRAIT_RAW_E.png

I know that you guys are trying to "remaster" the game in 3D, but I think the dark-feel of this image is somewhat better and is probably the best I've ever seen Goro.

GORO_PORTRAIT_RAW_B.png

Not sure I can agree with you. His face was way off before. Take a look at the new face below.

Here is the comparison:

Goro_Mortal_Kombat.gif

I kinda feel that Goro is starting to look like an alien rather than a shokan.

GORO_PORTRAIT_RAW_E.png

I know that you guys are trying to "remaster" the game in 3D, but I think the dark-feel of this image is somewhat better and is probably the best I've ever seen Goro.

GORO_PORTRAIT_RAW_B.png

calactyte, great work as always.

I'm thinking your earlier edit captures the warm/orange glow better, and also defines his lips and face better. Thoughts?

2eoi3h3.gif

goro.jpg

Last edited:
I was messing around with MK in MAME again, comparing some of the moves and noticed one little detail.
Maybe this will be interesting to guys programing in MUGEN, if you don't know this already.

While executing basic and special moves, Player 2 is always faster than Player 1.
If Player 1 connects on the 5th frame of the last uppercut pose, Player 2 connects on the 4th.
It's like that for every move I tried, Player 2 has one frame advantage.

This is probably not even noticeable in the game, just throwing it out there.
Never knew this till today.

Player 1
34jc7xh.jpg

Player 2
n3x7r4.gif

I was messing around with MK in MAME again, comparing some of the moves and noticed one little detail.
Maybe this will be interesting to guys programing in MUGEN, if you don't know this already.

While executing basic and special moves, Player 2 is always faster than Player 1.
If Player 1 connects on the 5th frame of the last uppercut pose, Player 2 connects on the 4th.
It's like that for every move I tried, Player 2 has one frame advantage.

This is probably not even noticeable in the game, just throwing it out there.
Never knew this till today.

Player 1
34jc7xh.jpg

Player 2
n3x7r4.gif

Good looking out and for high-level play it is is really important. (P2 will always have an advantage in close combat.) Dunno how well the final result will sit with the high-level crowd (mostly because MK1's gameplay is slow and really simplistic), but why not fix something like that from beginning so it won't be an issue later? An ounce of prevention...