Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Hey Bleed,

Quick question on rigging. For Goro, I have his shorts, belt and foot wraps as different objects. Do I need to combine those somehow first? How can I make the bones effect his shorts and his skin at the same time? Is this something I would do in zBrush? I've been searching online for a tutorial but I can't find anything that talks about rigging clothing onto the body. Any help you can provide will be helpful.

They should be combined usually as a single mesh in Max or Maya. Doesn't mean they need to be "welded" together.

If you have a part of the model, that is under another part. Skin under a shirt for example, if it's not going to be seen, delete that part of the mesh, to avoid clipping errors.

The mesh will deform better, if the topology flow is similar across different surfaces.

The spear is working in Mugen now, I have to fix a few small details and post video update later tonight.

Ahh I understand, also why include poly's that won't be shown. Probably a good practice for game meshes as well since a 3D engine has less poly's to handle this way.

Ok I "think" I get it now. I'm using Max so I would guess I'll just do Polygon attachments. As long as the UV's don't get messed up I'll be happy.

One last question, do you use spline IK on clothing items? I think remember you doing that but I'm not 100% sure.

They should be combined usually as a single mesh in Max or Maya. Doesn't mean they need to be "welded" together.

If you have a part of the model, that is under another part. Skin under a shirt for example, if it's not going to be seen, delete that part of the mesh, to avoid clipping errors.

The mesh will deform better, if the topology flow is similar across different surfaces.

The spear is working in Mugen now, I have to fix a few small details and post video update later tonight.

Yeah, convert the mesh to Editable poly, and Attach the different parts.

The UV's don't have to all fit on a single sheet btw. The head could take up the entire UV space, the body and other parts can be taking up the same space.

Only thing you need to do with that, is separate the material shaders. Put the correct shader on the correct mesh for the corresponding UV space.

Separate material for the head.
Separate material for the body.

etc...

I try something different with the cloth every time I do it, but I think a basic chain of bones will do just fine.

Link the chain to the Biped skeleton.

Same thing with extra arms, treat it like cloth bones.

Calactyte: In addition to what Bleed said, you can also create a blendshape (or whichever name it is in 3ds max) with the underlying skin minimized in size if you want to keep the entire body mesh in tact. It'll keep any part from clipping without having to delete. I usually do that when rigging a character in case I want the character to have pants or shorts.

Looking good Demonseed! I agree that the neck is a bit too long.

As a side note, Goro texturing is finished. I made his eyes a little larger per comments. I'm about ready to hit rigging phase.

GORO_TEST_B.jpg

woah! The blood texture is is very awesome! you better don't mess with Goro.

It's awsome, Bleed!

And i don't know how you think guys, this Goro with blood looks real, so ing real. I like the blood here.

I know lol, I can't stop smiling when I look at it.

Goro's looking really cool with the blood on it, kind of scary.

Can't wait to see more of this coming together :tee:

I dont think I mentioned but Goro looks sick. : D
MKHD_Sonya__01.jpgMKHD_Sonya_03.jpgMKHD_Sonya_03.jpgMKHD_Sonya_04.jpgMKHD_Sonya_05 1.jpgMKHD_Sonya_06 1.jpgMKHD_Sonya_07.jpg
updates: more definition on the body, ear is more defined (still tweaking), hands(not shown in pic) have been resized to be proportionate to the body, face and neck resized, legs are a bit thicker and hips wider, nose slightly widened, clothing resized to fit character better, waist cloth has been lowered (thanks, MrMos3s, for the suggestion). Shader is still being tweaked till the end of the modeling process. The hair and eyelashes are painted on roughly to give an idea. I'll look into making the pics show up without having to be logged in so anyone can check it out.

Last edited:
Look great Demonseed. I wonder if her rib cage
is a bit too square? I could be wrong.

I dont think I mentioned but Goro looks sick. : D
View attachment 3650View attachment 3651View attachment 3651View attachment 3652View attachment 3654View attachment 3655View attachment 3653
updates: more definition on the body, ear is more defined (still tweaking), hands(not shown in pic) have been resized to be proportionate to the body, face and neck resized, legs are a bit thicker and hips wider, nose slightly widened, clothing resized to fit character better, waist cloth has been lowered (thanks, MrMos3s, for the suggestion). Shader is still being tweaked till the end of the modeling process. The hair and eyelashes are painted on roughly to give an idea. I'll look into making the pics show up without having to be logged in so anyone can check it out.

There's several time I'm following this thread and your are really all doing great job. Can't wait to see a first version :)

To Demonseed:
Youre Sonya looks really promising :)
There are also one or two things I would do differently on her cloth.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think her thong is more "high cut" so the sides are totally hidden by the belt.
I think also you should do the belt (and maybe the bra too) more skinny and do bigger and longer the part of the belt which is hanging.

I made a picture to explain (english isn't my natural language, sorry for the errors).

sonya1.jpg

Finally, about the height of the belt, you must be carefull with reference images because there are some frames (only the victory pose in fact) where the belt is lower than it should be. The reference from Bleed is the best I think, it matches with the other frames (the belt is higher than her navel):

sonya2.jpg

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what will look Sonya in the end :)

scorpion looks amazing in the video but has a error uppercut that hurt the box has a problem.

The hit box delay was copied from how it really works in MK1. Try it in MK1 and you'll see there is a slight delay before the hit.

Once the arm is in the hit pose, there is no contact until the 5th tic.

And here's some reference for the head (not the best references, picure of Elizabeth Malecki are really hard to find...)

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpg

There is also pics in MK1 where Sonya's got Red Earrings:

s5.jpgs6.jpg

cb0363: Thanks a lot. I appreciate the reference photos. These are much clearer than the photos I've found, I did a bunch of searches but kept finding lower quality. So, I checked on youtube, but it didnt have the resolution to capture the detail. Here, i can see more of the eye detail and nose which is great. It's a huge help. Good point on the belt, I'll keep working on it till its right. edit: Calactyte, about the rib cage thats what I thought on the earlier model so I made some tweaks. Looking at it again I agree, it needs some more tweaking.

Last edited:
Your Sonya looks really promising DEMONSEED, keep up the good work.
Am I the only one who finds Liz Malecki more attractive then Kerri Hoskins from MK3?

As for the Scorpion uppercut, this is what Bleed's been talking about:

2nu6b03.gif

Opponent reacts on the 5th frame of the last uppercut pose leaping of the floor by few pixels

I've been watching this project from the beginning... truly awesome work. Bleed, just saw your youtube video, it is outstanding. I love the updates and everything about this project as a whole. GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!

These are some errors that i found, plus one...MK1 scorpion's upercut is a little bit slow i think, it might be just my sight...but anyway, the low punches of scorpion umk3 are just magnific :D i liked it

Last edited: