Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

a friend of mine wants to tell you something:
2hrhhn4.gif

now some feedback of the mock up:

i like: lifebars and numbers for scores
i don't like: font for names and numbers for timer

i'll scale names from original to match the lifebar and if it looks "ok" then we can apply some kind of effect for look better

calactyte: can you make the other numbers for scores?

Ok ill fix the dragons, I'll give you the font for the score..ill be searching for a better font for score. I guess that you will be handling the names? If you want I can give you the life bar graphic also.

a friend of mine wants to tell you something:
2hrhhn4.gif

now some feedback of the mock up:

i like: lifebars and numbers for scores
i don't like: font for names and numbers for timer

i'll scale names from original to match the lifebar and if it looks "ok" then we can apply some kind of effect for look better

calactyte: can you make the other numbers for scores?

sure, send me life bar too.
another thing.. i'm not sure about the shadows of the columns..
i can use parallax on column's shadow but columns move at different speed than walls... so i'm not sure if this will look good. sometimes the columns are not in front of a window =/

I understand this is an HD remix so a lot of focus has been on the graphics. And I've seen that you want to maintain the strict original game play which is all fantastic.
BUT?
What about the audio? MKI's voice quality alone is horrible (I understand why though).
Are you planning to redo the voice and sfx as well. sorry if this has been answered before, i check this thread often and haven't seen it answered.
AWESOME (the literal definition) work!

first test with lifebar's names
throneroomhduiux3.jpg

Edit: about audio is not defined yet. i can try to make the announcer, like in mk1: programmer = announcer XD
i'll send some PMs later just to know where are the other guys and if finally can help us...

cataclyte, it is nearly perfect, only 1 thing bother me - shadows under the dragons and throne are too dark, they looks weird, like it is sunny day but only for dragons and throne.

Interloko, try parallax, make a video and we shall see. Lifebars looks too simple, maybe add some depth, make it like this:
9dkm5g9z.jpg

Interloko, try parallax, make a video and we shall see.
is not about parallax, is about if a column is not in front of a window how can it have shadow? it will look weird.
easy solution is moving the columns at the same speed as wall but it will lose all the depth. that's how i'm not sure about it...
anyway, we will see

Hmm, is this possible to watch for windows and columns locations in every moment and if they are the same, make columns shadows appear?

Hey again, glad that everyone is so far in favor of having the MK2 logo implemented if it is possible, we will start work on that almost right away. Now someone mentioned sound aswell. I think we can maybe help there too, I will ask my friend, since he is the guru with the sound programs what he thinks. That is if you guys will decide to make the sound remixed. would ofcourse be cool to follow suit of Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, where everything was made fresh.

If we are talking about sounds, 1: there are character sounds, + effects that they do.
2: there are the game sounds
3: there is the music

For music i honestly prefer Genesis version, it is darker and more fit MK in my opinion.
For announcer, everyone who have the mic can try and we choose then.
For characters, i will love to hear different voice for each character...maybe just rip them from MK9

Last edited:
WOW! The life bar text looks fantastic! I don't know what filter you are running on them but that looks nearly perfect to me.

first test with lifebar's names
throneroomhduiux3.jpg

Edit: about audio is not defined yet. i can try to make the announcer, like in mk1: programmer = announcer XD
i'll send some PMs later just to know where are the other guys and if finally can help us...

I have to say, I really don't like the Genesis music at all. It's pretty awful sounding compared to the original Dan Forden stufff.

Sound wise, We can clean the existing audio with filters. Audio programs have come a real long way. As for the Health Bars, I don't think we should improve them too much. I did add a drop shadow (subtle) to them.

I can see about reducing the dragon shadow darkness. Since the Throne is meant to look farther in the background I think the shadow darkness (for the throne) is correct.

I really love that beautiful new throne room... I especially liked seeing the cloth texture put onto the throne.

However it would bring things down a bit to use just the old font run through a filter. I mean it looks fine in the thumbnail but not so much full size. So I set about looking for a good replacement font and so far this one seems the best as a replacement for HD sizes:

http://www.dafont.com/katana.font

or

http://www.dafont.com/japestyle.font

or

http://www.dafont.com/orchidee.font

Unless you perhaps vectorize it so it doesn't become so jagged\pixelated. If you must keep the original font you can try running it through a vectorizing process sort of like this:

Original (for reference):
original.png

Quick vectorization:

Screen%20Shot%202011-10-13%20at%201.40.35%20PM.png

I experimented around a bit with replacing the drop shadow on the name:

lk2.png

or this with a bit more opacity:

lk3.png

Using a new font or vectoring the old one at a bigger size than the screen and scaling it down would be the best. But yeah other than that that's how the energy bars should be. The example above was done via the web site "vectormagic" at high detail.... Also I think the shadows underneath the letters could be reworked to be more like the inner shadow of the life bar on the example pic.

You may or may not see much of a difference on the above pics but if you vectorized the fonts at a larger size than the target resolution even if you end up rasterizing them into a png like I did it can be more easily scaled to the output size in HD quality.

As for the sounds I wouldn't go with any of the 16-bit consoles sounds either as they tend to have music that is the MIDI specific to those systems. I've always found the arcade music to be better sounding even in MK1. But do you even have a sound guy on this project? I also wonder if it's a bit too early to worry about the sound.

The best thing would be to have a musician make new true to the original tracks just doing for the music what you are doing for the visuals. But barring that the old songs could be filtered to add stereo sound.

The sound effects could be touched up a bit maybe but should be used as they have a certain charm to them and are a part of the feel of the game. Those would be difficult to impossible to replace unless you had the original masters had they recorded them on a DAT or in a higher sample form saved somewhere (yeah right) or If you knew exactly how they made for example all the punching\hitting sound effects and had people who sound exactly like the ones who originally made the voices (Boon and Co.)

John Tobias said recently in twitter that he did the announcer voice in MK1, btw.

I don't think we should just rip the sound effects from newer MK games like MK9.... especially if you intend on using sound effects from part 1 as well... it would be jarring to have effects of differing vintages and the later MKs don't have the sounds they make when throwing standing punches for example or the same kind of uppercut sound effect.

MUGEN has stereo sound right? So if the action happens totally on the right side of the screen it can play from the right speaker (or left depending on which side the characters are on at a given moment)? I was just thinking that's just the main feature the soundtrack could use in an HD remake.

Last edited:
@smoke.tetsu: the text was a quick test i made, it supposed to be improved with something later but i like what you did with it.
can you do it with all the names? or even better, can you explain me how to do it?
i have a pack with all mk1 images, maybe we can use this method for other fonts too ;)

MUGEN has stereo sound right? So if the action happens totally on the right side of the screen it can play from the right speaker (or left depending on which side the characters are on at a given moment)? I was just thinking that's just the main feature the soundtrack could use in an HD remake.
Yes, MUGEN has stereo sound but i'm not sure if that sound options were temporary disabled or not, i'll try later at home
here is a text from mugen docs:

pan = p (int)
This is the positional offset of the sound, measured in pixels. If p > 0, then the sound is offset to the front of the player. If p < 0, then sound is offset to the back. Defaults to 0. This parameter is mutually exclusive with abspan.
abspan = p (int)
Like pan, except the sound is panned from the center of the screen, not from the player's position. This parameter is mutually exclusive with pan.

and about the music Hanzo put a video of a quick test with random instrument of select screen music:

For the life bars, names of the originals, can you post them here interloko? I'm thinking someone can hand trace them in Photoshop or Illustrator so that they look perfectly clean as a vector format. This way it's the exact font used in the original I think that will be the way that we want to go instead of trying to find a substitute. There are only 10 names if we include Shang, Goro and Reptile. Shouldn't take took long to hand trace the letters..but we need picture of the original life bars to do that.

I thought Interloko's test was done at native resolution 720p? If that's the case, I thought the quality was pretty good. Didn't seem very pixelated to me but if we trace the letters it'll be perfect.

With regard to the sound..is it possible to get the sounds ripped seperately from the actual game without the music playing..I can't seemed to access it through mame. If someone found a way to rip all the animations from the original arcade than I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to rip the sound fx as well..right?