Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Agreed, Goro's face looks better or closer to the original with that small edit.

Great progress on Sonya overall, and that's a huge help. The likeness will be the hardest part to achieve, but we'll get it eventually.

The hair is definitely going to be Mk1 style. I just did a quick paintover in photoshop. I'd like to get the hair done soon, but I think its going to give me some trouble. So, it will be a while until I can get it to look right. Currently I'm going to focus on the face, then tweak the body, then do some really cool stuff with the cloth details : ) . To Bleed and Calactye, I'll be working on the project but I wont post until a good amount is done, just because I work slower and frequent updates seem irrelevant. But what I'll do is message you two more frequent WIP images, and when enough of it is done I can post some renders on the forums.

edit: ahah!! thats what i was going to say. Thanks for the vids, Bleed. Saw the retopology vid for your the Scorpion skull mask a few weeks ago. They helped a lot.

Last edited:
critiques?

Looks like I have a piece of skin poking out the back, and I still can't figure out what's making the shadows flicker in the Yellow part, not a clue...

These sprites are in Dropbox now.

MK1_Scorp_SpearToss.gif

No problem on the updates, just don't vanish on us I hope. I'm not posting as many updates either, more like once a week instead of every tweak.

Last edited:
Not sure if 'Goro Lives' was official yet or not, but I gave him a new background, shined up his chest and muscles a bit and some other small things here and there. I did this before seeing the update to the eyes, which I'm sure can be added later, but here's what I got. I have the picture in full-res, this is just smaller for the forum.

GoroLives-Edit.jpg
(click for better detail)

I had a nice little gif switching back and forth for comparison but it wouldn't upload for me, so here's the 'original' below.

old-goro.jpg
(click for better detail)

critiques?

Looks like I have a piece of skin poking out the back, and I still can't figure out what's making the shadows flicker in the Yellow part, not a clue...

MK1_Scorp_SpearToss.gif

No problem on the updates, just don't vanish on us I hope. I'm not posting as many updates either, more like once a week instead of every tweak.

Excellent work! Is there a separate animation for when his spear attaches to the opponent? Or maybe what I'm thinking of is just part of his pull-back animation...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the cloth should come back just a biiiiit faster. it may be right but to me it seems as if it stays forward too long. the rest looks good. For the flicker could it be because of the double sided texture?? Strange. edit: The only other thing i could think of at the moment is maybe something to do with the lighting. Like in Maya,Final Gather,which mimics global illumination, depending on the settings... if its too low it might cause a flicker. It'll take an approximation from a number of surrounding points and average the color, but the next frame it will do another approximation and you might end up with a slightly darker or lighter color. But I'd guess the flicker would have been on the entire character.

Last edited:
Bleed this looks good to me. The flickering will be barely noticeable in game and I'd rather you kept moving forward. I can't believe how good this looks honestly. The secondary motion of the loin cloth is awesome btw.

Demonseed keep rocking it man. Sonya is starting to come together! If you need help with her hair, I can generate individual strands of hair for you to make the hair look real. Let me know when if you'll be needing help with that.

critiques?

MK1_Scorp_SpearToss.gif

I like the new strobe lights for Goro lives, but the white in the middle is washing out the image too much.

You might try putting that effect on the strobes alone and changing the layer style to overlay or something like that.

I'll see about speeding up the cloth on this one, then start working on the pulling animation.
thanks for the feed back.

It's not so hard actually, and we are using 30fps for the most part. Only having 60fps for animations that really need it, something too fast. 60 is too heavy for the sprite files.

The problem is fixed already in max, I removed part of the mesh that was clipping.

Last edited:
Good work Bleed.

I fixed up Goro's head per comments I read before. Also I've created a custom SSS skin shader and dropped a preliminary version Goro in max. See the result below. I'm going to work on making his skin and foot cloth dirty looking. Also will reduce the belt cloth saturation and add some dirt there as well. Check out what we've got for phase 1 though.

GORO_TEST.jpg

Sweet Jesus! An updated image of Goro! B.t.w. happened to Mortal Gojira? It's been a long time I have no news about him.

critiques?

MK1_Scorp_SpearToss.gif

Awesome! Close to perfection! I can see a little hole on the back. .

I mean the white air brushing / gradient on the lights in the background, look how it's making them light blue, and the black is becoming grayish.

Looks like there's dust flying all around him.

The pattern looks better in your edit, but the light contrast looks better in the older pic.

[Update] Cloth animation

MK1_Scorp_SpearToss_02.gif

Last edited:
I mean the white air brushing / gradient on the lights in the background, look how it's making them light blue, and the black is becoming grayish.

Looks like there's dust flying all around him.

The pattern looks better in your edit, but the light contrast looks better in the older pic.

Just to give an idea of my layers, the only places I used a brush are circled, also added a faint blue glow to Goro that's pointed out, the rest is a mixture of actual laser photos merged together and color edited to blue, with a little zoom blur.
gorolives-bg.jpg
(click for full size)
I can change any of this that you want, this way may help me better understand exactly what needs changed.

To me, the one we had before seemed dustier for some reason, maybe it's the dither on my animated gif's?
Goros.jpg

I know you have other things going so you can respond whenever you have time, we can move on with more important things and come back to this later if you'd like.

Hey Bleed, it might just be me, but it almost looks like Scorpion's head is snapping around passed his right shoulder for just like a single frame. It's weird, like he's facing me for a frame. Like I said I could be imagining things...

Very nice work Bleed. The animation looks great.
No restore frames? I think that in MK1 all projectile attacks had no restore frames, but I think that they should have in the remake.

The sprites have him looking to the side a little, but it's real fast.

Restore frame? You mean blend from the spear to the idle animation?

I can do it at the end, and I have here but not at the start unless I change the animation from the original.

If I add a blending animation at the start, it would be an extra 2 or 3 frames, and it'll throw off the timing from MK1 a little bit.

This is a great animation!!!! Very detailed to the way that MK1 rendered Scorpion.

The only criticisms I would have is that Scorpion's hood looks a little bulky when he motions into throwing the harpoon. It could just be me being picky or I'm seeing things but it just seems that way for a little bit when he motions into throwing his harpoon. Another thing would be that the belt on his attire looks to be a part of the v-shaped vest of his attire instead of being wrapped around his waist. And finally, the only other minor detail I see is the shin guards looks to be like soccer shin guards, if they could be a solid fabric clothed color in their render I think it would be a closer resemblence to the MK1 Scorpion in the Arcade.

But with everything else, I think this looks AMAZING!!!!! It all looks like it's coming together like an eye brow on Al. B. Sure!!!!

Bleed, this is just a lil question, is the sweep animation, low punches and high punches made for umk3 scorpion 3d?

OBS: i was looking for some of your videos you know, i think thats the only thing left for umk3 scorpion, plus some corrections that i think you've allready made