Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I gotta say I prefer Bleed's portrait with the undead eyes. It just seems way more in character, even if it isn't just like the original portrait.

That's fine, I wasn't super attached to the pupil idea, but what do you think of mine(center one) as far as lighting? (mask, shoulder, skin tone etc. etc.)

Anyone can answer this question, genuinely curious. :)

Nope only portrait we started was Scorp. When Bleed gets a chance perhaps he can render the pose for you of Subzero's character portrait so that you can begin working on that.

Thanks, I don't want to step on anyones toes though, if I can be of help, I'd be happy to. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks good. I think the one you did looks more accurate to the original with the lighting. Though I do prefer Bleed's portrait just because its more subtle. But both versions are good. Also Round 2 of Sonya's face being modeled. It's going slowly but I think in the right direction. I have a good amount of resolution added, but I'm paying close to the proportions and shape of the face each time before I add more. I'll see if I can get enough of it done to post some images in about a week.
That's fine, I wasn't super attached to the pupil idea, but what do you think of mine(center one) as far as lighting? (mask, shoulder, skin tone etc. etc.)

Anyone can answer this question, genuinely curious. :)

Last edited:
I think the lighting came out better with the edit. I'd take what you did for Scorpion's portrait and leave the eyes more white like I had it.

Okay, this one is a more precise edit, worked longer on it and probably ended up doing less lol.

Here are 5 variations of the eyes. 1 and 2 may be hard to tell apart, but 2's pupils are slighty more defined, these remind me of the route boon and tobias may have taken had they given him the white eyes. 3 is just about where bleed had them, 4 is similar but with slightly more fiery pupils and of course I threw in the natural eyes, just in-case.

scorp1.jpg
scorp2.jpg
scorp3.jpg
scorp4.jpg
scorp5.jpg

Input?

Last edited:
Dont know about anyone else but the portrait images arent loading for me, it just has a red X on all of them...

That's not good... :(

I swear I'm done for a while after this post...

Wanted to give a little run down on what I'm doing, incase you guys are as particular as I am with how people want to mess up something you've made. :)

scorp-full.jpg
(click for full size)

Bleed's original is blown up 200% with a small sharpen applied, and this is what I work with when editing. You can see that my additions are super crisp and sharp while his blown-up original is almost-super crisp and sharp. When I'm finished with the edit I shrink it back down 50% so you end up with a pixel-perfect portrait just like the original.

Hope this made sense..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yepp, I can see this one. I put it in Photoshop and reduced the size to see how it'll look like. Looks great! The quality is definitely high up there!!

Thanks!

I wonder if the images are working for anyone else? It's showing up for me. I'd like you to see the variations with the eyes.

I believe my personal favorites are 1, 4 and I still have a thing for 5 ;)

I think my argument with the natural eyes is that I've always read scorpions bio mention his eye color as "varies" so maybe his eyes only go white when he's about to get mid-evil, or something lol. But at this point, I am really liking the white eyes as well.

Last edited:
sonya face early wip.jpg This is a VERY early work in progress pic of Sonya's face. The nose and eyes are still being worked on. Right now some of it looks a bit odd, but I think the resolution is there. It's just a matter of tweaking the points. Edit: btw she will have ears!! lol I will add them tomorrow along with some eyebrows.

We got real artists here...Demonseed, You actualy got the base to do Sonya :D
Bleed, i dont want to be out topic, but i miss some UMK3 pics... Specialy scorpion, since he is the base for every other ninja character hehe :D
Remember when i said that scorpion and every UMK3 should have 2 versions?? the one with custom moves and one with the original?? I think you should reconsider it...

Last edited:
Alright good start DEMONSEED, I like how the edge loops are looking, nice and smooth.

The UMK3 Scorpion does have more than 1 style, I'm making at least two with the possibility of adding more.
The character is coded with a bunch of on and off switches, to turn on or disable features from different games.

Right now I have something similar to UMK3, and my own play style which is more like a 3D fighter.

It's got heavy gravity, so juggles are limited.
Hardly any launchers, there are more stuns instead. I"m trying to replace juggle combos with stun combos, to make it more realistic.
No crouching state for attacking, since you never see it in real fighting. I'm getting the crouch to simply put the arms down, and look ready for a low block. It still works like a crouch in that, low moves are guarded with the legs and high moves are avoided automatically by swaying.

The guard animations change depending on the incoming attack.

The crouching attacks from normal MK are replaced by standing low kicks and any move that makes more sense for real fights.

Generally I'm trying to make the fights look like film choreography, taking ideas from that and real fighting.

Last night I was coding an armor aspect for heavy attacks, so you can't stop them with a fast poke.

General ideas like that are what I'm after, very different from the norm.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I've begun getting Goro into 3DS Max from Gojira's original zBrush model. I'm going to start rigging him up. Gojira did a beautiful job of maintaining a nice clean mesh so rigging should be easier. I'm just tweaking the SSS shader in Vray so that his skin looks a little more realistic.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I've begun getting Goro into 3DS Max from Gojira's original zBrush model. I'm going to start rigging him up. Gojira did a beautiful job of maintaining a nice clean mesh so rigging should be easier. I'm just tweaking the SSS shader in Vray so that his skin looks a little more realistic.

I found a way to fix normal map rendering in max a couple days ago. There was a problem I ran in to with the seams showing up in max, but looking fine in other programs.

First thing to check is if the Green color channel is flipped in the normal map.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Customize > Preferences > Gamma and LUT

Turn off "Enable Gamma/LUT Correction

In case anybody needs that info, it fixed the problem for me.

I'm starting the spear toss animation today.