Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I know you guys are only meaning well. Interloko I'll resize everything to correct dimensions..

As for shadows and light gleam on the floor..If I do it'll be very subtle. The problem with shadows on the ground is it's an element of realism that should really change angle as the characters go through the stage..It actually might make it look more static and flat with shadows than without.

I'm rendering all these elements as separate 3D files.. so they aren't all in a room together..with correct shadows and all that stuff. Frankly I'm using the same production workflow as they probably used in the original. I'm really on the fence about this. I don't want to add new stuff. Shadows and lighting weren't in the original so I'm not sure they should be in our HD version. I can do a test..but remember that it's all fake..lighting so some stuff is bound to look wrong.

vetalfox, your throne room with shadows looks good, but window frames with dragon logo must not be black. As light goes right through them, they must be the most lightened part:)
Anyway, it's your project and do it however you want:) Yes, in original there was no light effect. I just thought, if you're remaking the game - the aim is to make it look reaaaaaally better. I'm just not sure that these Big and Cool realistic fighters will fit the flat BGs (if you leave them flat). Just look at Warrior Shrine badmouse created, it looks realistic and alive as we have a light spot (moon) and everything is lighted from the right angle. Don't get it wrong, i don't want to say this Throne Room is bad, figures are awsome and it's close to the Original! But light and shadow effects do so much in composition, it's actually what makes the picture look realistic.

It is my little redesign to fit MK3 style, this originally was for MKT remake. It also include 2 lanterns between throne and windows that i didn't show here.
Shadows just a quick concept, i'm not planned to do them at all.
But this is all offtopic.

Waiting for wall pictures for Throne Room.

I actually like the throne room as is without additional lighting as it as in the original game. We have still yet to see how it'll even look with the characters on it and the health bars and such. The lighting in shadows in the other examples look overdone and if a similar idea where to be used in the HD remix I think it should be subtle and smoother looking.

The shadows in vetalfox's clash with the full bright sprites like the MK3 Shang Tsung in the center. The lighting in Sub-zera's example washes out the detail and the rest of the scene is too dark. No offense meant to either.

Lighting\shadows is also only good if you can have it consistently affect everything in the scene in a realistic way... otherwise it's best to stick with the type of thing used in the original game.

The only constructive criticism I have at the moment for the throne room is the chair needs some kind of cloth\upholstery texture on the blue parts depending on what kind of material you think it would be I think it's probably some kind of luxurious fabric... and there could be a bit more shadow underneath the chair.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the feedback. So I understand what people are saying about it looking a bit flat. I do think shadows would add some realism. However it has to be MUCH more subtle than what has been suggested thus far. Remember it's sort of a gloomy day so there isn't a ton of direct sunlight coming from those windows. Thus the shadows, if any..will be very faint. Same with the column shadows. Very faint..and just to make things look grounded in scene. I'll give this a pass and see what it looks like after I finish resizing the backgrounds per interloko's analysis.

Anyone have an image of the entire MK 1 Throne room stage? I only have pieces and I'm not sure how wide the whole thing should be.

I'm pretty sure the Throne room is off-center like that. You start in front of Shang, but player 2 is actually closer to the corner than player 1.

Am I crazy or when you upper cut someone straight out of the air..don't you see like 30 pixels more of the top of the screen for a few seconds as the "camera" follows their body up and then back down?

I only put it up for reference, but I'll look around for the arcade versions.

Yeah, reason why I say is on the SNES they had to change the size of certain things to fit the hardware restrictions so the proportions tend to be off there. Also they tend to cut corners so certain things might be different. Like they may do some more cutting\pasting\flipping, etc. but as far as layout goes it should be more or less correct.

Ok. So I'm excited to show you, what I *think* is the finished Throne Room for MK HD! Don't ask me how the shadows will work with Parralax scrolling..

I listened to everyones comments..about lighting and shadows..texture on the throne..darkening the throne under shadow..fixing visuals up and now I'm just about ready to send files over to interloko for programming.

I'll wait until mid day tomorrow and gather any final comments. I most likely won't be messing with the lighting any further so if it looks flat, I'll be passing it along to someone else who can make it look "less" flat if that is what the community wants. This has been an insane passion of mine over the past few days since I lost my job. Thanks for giving me something to do beside waiting for unemployment checks.

throne_room_HD.jpg

Thank you for all the dedication and hard work. Your stage looks SPLENDID!
Ok. So I'm excited to show you, what I *think* is the finished Throne Room for MK HD! Don't ask me how the shadows will work with Parralax scrolling..

I listened to everyones comments..about lighting and shadows..texture on the throne..darkening the throne under shadow..fixing visuals up and now I'm just about ready to send files over to interloko for programming.

I'll wait until mid day tomorrow and gather any final comments. I most likely won't be messing with the lighting any further so if it looks flat, I'll be passing it along to someone else who can make it look "less" flat if that is what the community wants. This has been an insane passion of mine over the past few days since I lost my job. Thanks for giving me something to do beside waiting for unemployment checks.

throne_room_HD.jpg