Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Goro's fireball reminds me of Ryu's Hadouken. Remember how in STF2, you could see his hands in it?
You're right about that

2rom49d.png

Goros projectile looks like he launches his own fist

21eqpzq.png

While things have slowed down, I'm glad you guys are still putting in effort towards this project. This thread is the first thing I check when I head over to TRMK.

Keep up the great work!

It seems to slow down from time to time. Just because people aren't posting. From the looks of things they are still working on it. But I'm not sure who all is still involved in it. It seems like some people have vanished altogether, like the sound guys for example.

I'm working on something almost every day, but I'm doing a bunch of things at once, that's why I'm slow.

1 = MK1 Scorpion animations
2 = UMK3 Scorpion updated model
3 = Learning UDK
4 = Coding stuff in mugen for my own project
5 = Real Work
etc.

For the Unreal engine, I know how to get the models imported. Import animations, build a basic level, add lights, make textures...

Basic stuff, but what I'm having a really tough time with is scripting. All I want to do right now is figure out how to make something simple, like a ball. When I press a button, it can move or change animation. Once I understand how that works, I can do a lot. Thing is I can't seem to be able to find any tutorials for just that. It's all for putting an already made character in the game, or change how the weapons work... I sort of understand the code because of mugen, but I'm still lost.

The mugen stuff I'm doing is generally tweaking and experimenting like I always.

I'm slow because of:

1) Work
2) Freelance Work
3) My Wife and I less then a week from having a baby

That being said, I dedicate at least 2 hours 3 or more days a week to this project. Sometimes I work on it everyday.

I studied UDK, It's difficult to learn. You have to get used to Object Oriented Programming since everything is Class based. Documentation is all over the place and hard to piece together. Ultimately I chose Unity3D instead, since the programming is all done in Javascript which is much easier to understand and use for my needs.

If you want to make money creating iPhone or Android games, you can't go wrong learning either system though.

For the Unreal engine, I know how to get the models imported. Import animations, build a basic level, add lights, make textures...

Basic stuff, but what I'm having a really tough time with is scripting. All I want to do right now is figure out how to make something simple, like a ball. When I press a button, it can move or change animation. Once I understand how that works, I can do a lot. Thing is I can't seem to be able to find any tutorials for just that. It's all for putting an already made character in the game, or change how the weapons work... I sort of understand the code because of mugen, but I'm still lost.

The mugen stuff I'm doing is generally tweaking and experimenting like I always.

Hi MK HD Remake MUGEN Team. I have been following the project since the first post and am a true fan of what you guys are doing. I am very appreciative of you all who are doing this in your available spare time. Some of you have great artistic skills and should have careers doing this kind of thing, yet here you are doing it for people like me to enjoy and the only payment you will receive is in the form of blessings and thank yous. I know that there is no scheduled release date for this and I don't expect there to be one, it's done when it's done. However, the thread has slowed down visually. Any plans to release any screen shots soon? Just one a week would satisfy me and probably many others. Still, I love what you all are doing and appreciate everything that you have let us see thus far. I am a HUGE Mortal Kombat fan, and after the let down that the HD remakes were not going to happen officially, this MUGEN remake has sparked hope, for us all. Thank you guys!

If the team needs a new sound guy for arena themes and the other "songs" in-game, I'm available. I lurk more than I post (simply because I outgrew my username and don't work for that site anymore) but I have been keeping a close watch on this project since the beginning. As far as a resume of sorts, I've been in the music scene for the past ten years and as part of various bands that never made it and a solo artist. I could whip up a generic stage mock theme if interested to show what I can do, if not no worries and keep up the great work!

Dave

Hey guys. Since you all are pro's here, I wanted to ask you a question: Do you think MUGEN could handle a kind of remake of MK9 for PC?

Mugen is too limited to make a faithful copy of MK9. It can handle the main part, game play. You can do almost anything with the game play. 3D art needs to be converted to 2D sprites. Because of that, your animations won't look as smooth, the frame count goes from 60 to 30 or less usually, and there is color loss with 256 color palettes.

What could fit in to the early 2D fighters, for the most part can be done in mugen.

I'm using Mugen because that's all I know right now.

Dave your input is very much welcome. It'll be great to have some help with the music or sound effects.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I have thrown together a mock Game Over track, I just can't figure out the best way to go about sharing it since MP32Tube is terrible now. I'll spend more time on the tracks for actual use, but this is just a rough demo. However you want me to send it, just let me know. Thanks again!

Haha I assume I'm one of those "sound guys." I'm still very much around just not posting.

Yeah as far as the music goes the more the merrier, though I have no idea who is going to decide what goes into the final game or how. I've contributed a Continue Theme, Courtyard Theme, and a Test Your Might Theme thus far. Actually, I'd be interested to know what all has been submitted at this point just to avoid confusion. Does anyone have that info?

Since a few new folks have picked up on the project I guess I'll repost the links to those pieces I've done in case they wanna give em a listen. Enjoy!

Courtyard Theme - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7q3kba53nzrg2rh

Continue Theme - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s9w0su9dcqwjjt3

Test Your Might Theme - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9m8qzkejlyhalhb