Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Yes I did see the screens with big green screen. I have no idea how to make the sprites look that good in MUGEN. Usually you have to shrink them down and then they get pixelated, like the original MK games. I have no idea how the HD in MUGEN works. I would have loved to rerender my sprites in a higher quality.

If you can figure out how to do it you should make this Sonya character or even your Rayden character that you were talking about. Would look good in that quality. Granted of course you can have them retain their HD quality without having to scale them down..

To everyone else, it seems we've dragged this post away from the MK1 HD. I apologize. Any more updates on the project?

Yes I did see the screens with big green screen. I have no idea how to make the sprites look that good in MUGEN. Usually you have to shrink them down and then they get pixelated, like the original MK games. I have no idea how the HD in MUGEN works. I would have loved to rerender my sprites in a higher quality.

If you can figure out how to do it you should make this Sonya character or even your Rayden character that you were talking about. Would look good in that quality. Granted of course you can have them retain their HD quality without having to scale them down..

To everyone else, it seems we've dragged this post away from the MK1 HD. I apologize. Any more updates on the project?

Good call, didn't mean to do that :p But as a good segway, I too haven't had much (if any) experience with high definition M.U.G.E.N.... can anyone explain how this works? Is it simply taking the original M.U.G.E.N. and adjusting the native resolution?

You start by choosing the resolution you want to be native for your character.

Next take a screen shot and place an image of the character on the screen to figure out the right size.

All sprites should now match this size for the specific resolution.

In mugen, you can set a local coordinate, that says what the actual resolution your character is meant for.

The character will be scaled in the game automatically if the resolution is changed, and you can do a manual adjustment to the X and Y scale aside from that. This can be used to make adjustments, if someone wants a different screen size. The character may look too big, so they can scale it down.

The sprites look best at 1:1 scale, if they are changed with the code, you'll get a drop in quality. That goes for scaling up or down.

You start by choosing the resolution you want to be native for your character.

Next take a screen shot and place an image of the character on the screen to figure out the right size.

All sprites should now match this size for the specific resolution.

In mugen, you can set a local coordinate, that says what the actual resolution your character is meant for.

The character will be scaled in the game automatically if the resolution is changed, and you can do a manual adjustment to the X and Y scale aside from that. This can be used to make adjustments, if someone wants a different screen size. The character may look too big, so they can scale it down.

The sprites look best at 1:1 scale, if they are changed with the code, you'll get a drop in quality. That goes for scaling up or down.

And this pretty much solidifies how much I need to toy around with M.U.G.E.N. again :p Thanks for the lesson!

WOW, guys, are we coming back to the "alive actors" MK style? It's sweet, indeed, this looks like my dreams about MK HD come true;) And again, Hattoris, Sonya looks just incredible!

WOW, guys, are we coming back to the "alive actors" MK style? It's sweet, indeed, this looks like my dreams about MK HD come true;) And again, Hattoris, Sonya looks just incredible!

No that's his own thing, not part of this project.

Exactly, it's not part of the ongoing project, just a side experiment of mine. In fact, from here on out, I'll make a separate thread (tomorrow, I'm about to hop to bed :p) so I don't keep interrupting or causing any confusion. Like I said, I LOVE the work that everyone is doing on the M.U.G.E.N. project, so I don't want to cause any issues.

Hi ttas, or i must call you tits? haha, just joking :)

This capture looks great! is missing a couple of frames in the idle but the roundhouse looks impressive! very well done, actually the character looks original and i love it!

Hattoris, The HD Sonya looks great!
For a good size reference, ask to La_Luna user, he capture and stale to HD size some sprites for reference. Maybe he can capture and resize a couple of sprites to have a good reference.

Bleed, Thanks pal! this soft is really helpful! no more images in camera background or planes :)
btw, with F1 you go to "on top" (overlay)

I didn't think of it before but I could just move the window out of the way and press F1 again.

I still use that stay on top program all the time though. It's good for the image preview, because I can scroll through the images or zoom in, and I can't with the overlay.

Last edited:
Is that Daizee Haze as Sonya? Maybe not, she looks a bit like an independent wrestler.

Last edited:
Hi ttas, or i must call you tits? haha, just joking :)

This capture looks great! is missing a couple of frames in the idle but the roundhouse looks impressive! very well done, actually the character looks original and i love it!

Hattoris, The HD Sonya looks great!
For a good size reference, ask to La_Luna user, he capture and stale to HD size some sprites for reference. Maybe he can capture and resize a couple of sprites to have a good reference.

Bleed, Thanks pal! this soft is really helpful! no more images in camera background or planes :)
btw, with F1 you go to "on top" (overlay)

Yeah or you could call me Titty Ass even TTAS. lol

But anyway, thanks. The character is an original for a full MUGEN game I'm working on. I've had ideas since I was a kid when I used to play MK2 all the time. The roundhouse kick, is actually missing a couple of frames in the beginning mostly. I noticed that when I was going through the photos, it went from start to bent knee then full kick. As I was discussing earlier, some moves you can't do slowly, and that was one of them. So the roundhouse was too fast to capture a lot of frames on start up. Plus it just looks odd when the GIF is in constant roundhouse animation. So far I have another character filmed as well, and hopefully today I can get two more filmed. Soon enough I'll put a link in my signature, so anyone that wants to can follow progress.

Hattoris, post the link to the new thread. I'd like to follow it and see your progress if you are going to try to make a character.

EDIT: Just saw the post now. I'm checking it out.

I'll work on the MK1 stumble tomorrow or I'll start on it tonight.

Something else for today, new mask for the UMK3 scorpion, like the concept art.

SkullMask.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRygKDxqeXA&list=UUhDa7-LeLEDuk7xkf7wHCbg&index=1&feature=plcp

ttas, good one ;)
I will follow your progress, looks amazing :)

Hattoris, i will follow your project. looks great!

Bleed, the mask is very well done! a lot of staff allays change from the concept arts. recreate staff from concept arts help to keep the spirit of the concept alive!

Last edited:
Ok cool Bleed. Mask looks awesome btw! You are fast with Topogun.

Badmouse, I know that English isn't your first language and I make spelling errors all the time but when you are saying

"staff" I think you mean "stuff". Just figured I'd point it out since I saw you make that spelling error a few times.

As for me, now that all the background are done,..the UI is done..and all the In between screens are just about finished.

I'm continuing to learn Fume FX for 3ds Max so that I can do some cool looking fire and flames for Lui Kang fireball and Johnny Cage projectile. Ultimately I want to be able to do the Fire for Scorpion and Sonya fatalities.

ttas, good one ;)
I will follow your progress, looks amazing :)

Hattoris, i will follow your project. looks great!

Bleed, the mask is very well done! a lot of staff allays change from the concept arts. recreate staff from concept arts help to keep the spirit of the concept alive!

Thanks calactyte, i will try to learn seriously someday, the % of the time im speaking in Japanese so i forgetting my Spanish.