Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Interloko put them in the game already I think, no? If not, I can put them in.

Ok, I'm sorry. I didn't know that. You are probably correct about that. I'm noticing the files you dropped in there a moment ago looked like subzero. Is that on purpose? If so, shouldn't they get organized into a different folder for Sub?

Yeah I just put them in there in case he's missing some. The ninja color is blue, for palettes to work better. So the yellow doesn't mix with the skin tones. If I make clashing parts different colors, It's easier to assign a palette without having colors from different parts of the body using the color swatches reserved for another.

Works like a green screen.

I noticed that I forgot to do this for the Test Your Might animations. I put the files in but they will have to be changed to blue later.

The masking color just has to be something that is easy to separate from the others. Red, Blue, Pink, Green.... Anything like that. Once chosen, every sprite for that character has to use the same masking color.

Ahh, I understand exactly what you mean. It is just wierd because some files look yellow but others are blue already. I would think all would be blue based on what you just said. I'm thinking should you delete Raiden with normals from Dropbox also Goro's Lair Reference? I think we can use all the space we can get.

Last edited:
Yeah no worries. I'm glad you put everything up there. I like the "being hit" high and low you did. Will you do the really hard one with him stumbling backwards next? That one seems difficult to me.

Just as an update: Goro's Lair is complete and the .rar is uploaded dropbox.

I'll have to go over each one and see what needs to be made blue, probably in a couple days.

I may try a self shot test just doing general movements (maybe Raiden's?), but this time recording on HD video instead of photos, and see how it works... if the test is a success, maybe I'll bring the model back in for a follow up shoot :wink:

Of course, the other issue is lighting, as the photos were done with strobes used for photography, while I'd have to use regular "hot lights" (aka, really bright-ass tungsten lights) for video. Then again, it's more in line with how they recorded the actors for the first three games.

You should play around with it. It would be great to play AT LEAST as Sonya in HD. I've been experimenting with filming of this kind for a while now. While I don't have HD characters filmed, I was able to get more of a "slightly above SNES" quality sprites while just using a few bright lights and rapid fire on the camera. Not a video cam, cause mine isn't that great (motion blur madness).

But if you have a good video camera, then you should be able to pull it off.

View attachment 3179

Here is the result I got, with my own character.

Last edited:
You should play around with it. It would be great to play AT LEAST as Sonya in HD. I've been experimenting with filming of this kind for a while now. While I don't have HD characters filmed, I was able to get more of a "slightly above SNES" quality sprites while just using a few bright lights and rapid fire on the camera. Not a video cam, cause mine isn't that great (motion blur madness).

But if you have a good video camera, then you should be able to pull it off.

View attachment 3179

Here is the result I got, with my own character.

Hmm, attachment isn't working. You can send me a PM if you want. As for my camera, the photos were taken with a Canon T2i, which can also capture video at 1080p at 24fps. If I find time this week, I'll experiment a bit, using myself as the guinea pig :p

Last edited:
Hmm, attachment isn't working. You can send me a PM if you want. As for my camera, the photos were taken with a Canon T2i, which can also capture video at 1080p at 24fps. If I find time this week, I'll experiment a bit, using myself as the guinea pig :p

Okay well I'll try again, kywana_fightingstance.gif.

If that doesn't display, then try http://ttas.humblefly.net/kywana_fightingstance.gif

Oh and here is another animation. kywana_roundhouse.gif

It's an original character I made for a full game I'm working on in MUGEN. But as you can see, it can totally be done.

Last edited:
Okay well I'll try again, View attachment 3181.

If that doesn't display, then try http://ttas.humblefly.net/kywana_fightingstance.gif

Oh and here is another animation. View attachment 3182

It's an original character I made for a full game I'm working on in MUGEN. But as you can see, it can totally be done.

Very nice! You said it was "slightly above" SNES, but I'd put the resolution on par with the arcade MK games, actually! It'll be interesting trying to make sprites for 1080p playback, though... I'm sure I could work it out.

Thank you! I guess you might be right about arcade quality. I guess I was just thinking about how they look in MUGEN when stretched out to full screen mode. Things get a little pixely. But yeah, I think you should totally give it a try. At the very least it would be a fun experience. Like I said all I did was, my photographer setup the lights and the white balancing and all that, and set the camera to rapid fire for a high frame rate (I don't recall the exact frame rate) and all I had to do was just do the various actions. Trying to do them as slow as possible without sacrificing the movement. Like on the roundhouse kick. Can't do it too slow or it won't move right.

Thank you! I guess you might be right about arcade quality. I guess I was just thinking about how they look in MUGEN when stretched out to full screen mode. Things get a little pixely. But yeah, I think you should totally give it a try. At the very least it would be a fun experience. Like I said all I did was, my photographer setup the lights and the white balancing and all that, and set the camera to rapid fire for a high frame rate (I don't recall the exact frame rate) and all I had to do was just do the various actions. Trying to do them as slow as possible without sacrificing the movement. Like on the roundhouse kick. Can't do it too slow or it won't move right.

Good point, I remember in a lot of the behind the scenes clips of the arcade MK games that the actors had to perform the moves slowly for best possible capture. Of course, as you said, not all moves can be done at slow speed. So what lighting did you use? I assume regular "static" lights as opposed to strobes, as I haven't had the best experience mixing rapid-fire photography *and* strobes... you tend to have unbalanced lighting in that case. Yours looks like a steady overhead light. You might've noticed from my shots that I tried to replicate the back/side light and front/diagonal lighting style that they used for the first game. I think by MKII they changed it to the back/side light & master overhead light that would later be used for MK3 and UMK3 as well.

The lights were just 2 or 3 of the photographers main lights she uses for portrait stuff, just turned on and left on. So no they weren't strobed, the lights wouldn't refresh fast enough. I just found one of the original photos from the shoot, I'll post it.

shoot.jpg

The quality of the photo here is crappy cause I just tried to shrink it down and saved for web, so I could post it here, but you get the idea of where the lights are.

EDIT: Also there is the room's ceiling light left on.

Always a fan of behind the scenes shots... you might've caught the "scissor leg grab" BTS photo I posted a couple of pages back. It looks like the overhead light is giving the most light to the character. Plus the contrast boost your added definitely made it more vibrant. Meanwhile, this all makes me want to play with M.U.G.E.N. again... been WAY too long!

EDIT: Also, in the event I actually do a follow-up shoot, the sprites should most likely be this big for 1080p:

Victory1080.png

Last edited: