Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Scorp statue is fixed:

NEW_SCORP_STATUE.png

Looks fantastic now calactyte. Maybe touch his feet alittle like Fester suggested.

I like your work on Goros Lair, especially the floor - looks much better than before.
I'd make stone blocks around skeleton on the wall little less purpleish tho

I've got one of the feet correct, just need to get the other one now. He does sort of stand on his toes a bit in the original statue though.

As for Goro I removed the purple. Good call on that la_luna!

MK1_Goros_Lair.jpg

Looks fantastic now calactyte. Maybe touch his feet alittle like Fester suggested.

I like your work on Goros Lair, especially the floor - looks much better than before.
I'd make stone blocks around skeleton on the wall little less purpleish tho

I've got one of the feet correct, just need to get the other one now. He does sort of stand on his toes a bit in the original statue though.

As for Goro I removed the purple. Good call on that la_luna!

MK1_Goros_Lair.jpg

great job, but goro's lair is too dark

i think it should be something like this.

MK1_Goros_Lair1.jpg

Last edited:
great job, but goro's lair is too dark

i think it should be something like this.

MK1_Goros_Lair1.jpg

I don't think a whole lot left needs to be changed, but I did stumble across this and thought it might help.

Edit- Removed, looking for better quality picture.

Edit 2- I can't find the picture I was looking for. But here's a screencap for reference.
Goros_lair.png

The only thing I can see is that it looks like there's this weird kinda fog going on past the first layer. Not sure how I feel about that, it adds atmosphere but deviates from the original.

I'm not too fond of this version of Goro's Lair. The bricks look like plastic and the lighting looks way off especially when it comes to the skeletons in the darker areas. I liked the previous version better from a while back, and I thought the only issue was the lighting needed some adjustment?

I'm not too fond of this version of Goro's Lair. The bricks look like plastic and the lighting looks way off especially when it comes to the skeletons in the darker areas. I liked the previous version better from a while back, and I thought the only issue was the lighting needed some adjustment?

I agree... I don't know if anyone else is seeing the darkness as green or if its just my monitor. But I personally dont care for he haze and the foreground looks... grainy? like old film grain now or something. Also it seems like there are heavy outlines around the walls. Not sure if this was supposed to be finished product or just example of a lighting tweak but it looks odd to me.

The thing I like most about this stage is the floor, the rest I don't think is looking better than the last attempt. The last one by Ratonmalo felt more natural with the textures and lighting, but was too dark and the wrong color.

Right now, I would use the old version possibly with the floor of this one.

Some things that stick out:

Middle wall brick shadows are too black, and texture is too shiny.

The lighting on the hanging skeleton seems too bright compared to the wall.

Texture on the skeletons seems too flat.

The lighting on the floor doesn't match the lighting on the middle wall.

Back dark area should be black not green, or that's how I see it on my monitor, Black.

General colors of the stage could match better.

[edit]
I made a quick video recording of Goro's Lair, it's in drop box if you want to use it.

Last edited:
Ok I have noted what everyone is saying and I agree. I will take another crack at it. Still learning here so bear with me and thanks for the honest crits.

Also when I look at this I feel as though rock could have sharper, jagged features. I feel my rendition is sculpted too loosley. But I'm honestly enjoying learning about how I can improve this so I will keep trying.

I'm not sure what the codec is, I just did a save for CD with Camtasia. The video plays for me using quick time or the VLC media player.

[edit] Replaced the file with one using Techsmith screen capture encoding.

Last edited:
Just want to double check..the back floor reads as green in the far background..or am I wrong?

The floor becomes more "green" as it appears in the distance, but it's more just a technical limitation that we probably don't even need. Personally, I'd render it without it first, see how it looks and then if we see something wrong with it, change it up a little.

The area with the monsters eyes is black, though.

Ok thanks,

At this point I'm trying to get as close as possible to the original even if it were a technical limitation, I'm going to replicate it at first. If everyone wants me to remove it later I will.

The floor becomes more "green" as it appears in the distance, but it's more just a technical limitation that we probably don't even need. Personally, I'd render it without it first, see how it looks and then if we see something wrong with it, change it up a little.

The area with the monsters eyes is black, though.

Middle wall looks better

The green on the floor was looking nicer before, I would dial it back like 50% or have more of the green showing in the background with a gradient mask. If you have a lot of green in the foreground, maybe put some noise on a mask, or use some pictures of real moss.

If you have that smooth green all over, it looks too air brushed.

The back wall is too bright and washed out, there's too much fog back there.

I would compare it to some real dungeons for more ideas. Maybe for the general lighting, fog, how the walls blend to the floor, etc. The sprites are kind of crappy to follow so closely, more info is needed.

Last edited: