Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I think the most important part to keep is the game play. We can make it look modern in presentation, detail wise and we are doing so already. It's unavoidable due to how we are working, and I think when making the scenes in HD, things can look too clean or plain.

By detail I mean small carvings, grass coming up through a crack on the floor, blood stains on the floor. As for special effects, that too is going to look more detailed. I don't know if more realistic, but if that's the case, mist when frozen, Cinder when burning would make sense.

Stuff like hanging from spikes on the pit, no because that's not part of the game play in MK1.

Hi calactyte, try to make other parts of the stage to get the position of all object on it and after that start to make all objects more derails

Last edited:
Cool, but i think the windows need more work, i.e. both sides of the window have to be symmetric and maybe need more polygons in the curves.

Anyway it don't need to be made 100% in 3D. you can make a mask in photoshop and make looks like 3D with any effect.

@interloko:
I saw your MUGEN thread on ultimatemk.com and you should post an update over there. Shock is an absolute god when it comes the old games (gameplay-wise), so when this get further along, he will be a great help with that portion.

Also, are you guys gonna layer the backgrounds to give them more of a perspective/3D effect or are they just gonna be fat images that the people fight on?

Yeah, the windows probably should be straight up 2D instead. They look a bit out of place right now. Anyway I'm going to build one of the columns next, then the gong and finally the throne.

Cool, but i think the windows need more work, i.e. both sides of the window have to be symmetric and maybe need more polygons in the curves.

Anyway it don't need to be made 100% in 3D. you can make a mask in photoshop and make looks like 3D with any effect.

i'll update my "umk3" game soon, i need to test some stuff with colision boxes before. don't expect an update before october 20th.

about this HD game, again, please stop all this weird stuff. it will be updated in the graphics but the idea is the game have the same feel of classic mk1 and a lot of the ideas posted here just don't fit

Calactyte, check how's looks the Throne Room in the Canceled version of MK HD.

XMB_Mockup.png

Just discovered this thread.. I'm really taken back by the work. Characters, backgrounds, char select look great. Hope you guys can hang in there and finish the project.

Last edited:
Ok, columns are looking pretty good, I think they need a bit of photoshop touch up work, but the 3D is looking pretty good I think. What do you think badmouse? I saw the cancelled HD version, you posted above. I think the artist took some liberties with certain aspect of the original. Not sure I loved the redesign of the columns or dragons. I'm more of a purist. I'd rather it look as close to the original game as possible. Anyway, I'll work on redoing the windows at the end, so ignore those for now since look pretty bad. I also realize I have the dragons placed more diagonally than in the original game so I'll re-render and fix that as well.

http://www.jtresca.com/test/throne_room_HD.jpg

looks better, is you are using Bevel and Emboss Effiect, in Technique try to use "hard"

About the floor, i think will looks better if you add lines in it.

The throne room looks great so far. But yeah in order to be true to the originals like Eks said they should have parallax layers (like the clouds moving in the background) and at least in some of the levels the ground needs to have the type of parallax scrolling where each line is a layer giving an almost three dimensional look to the ground.... although there seems to be lot more backgrounds that have the feature in the ground in MKII and MK3.

Mostly what you would have to do to know what exactly each background has would be to study the original backgrounds in the arcade versions and go by what you see there. I wouldn't go by the home versions as most of them especially the 16-bit versions had something or other missing. Like the SNES version had the scrolls on the walls in the throne room missing.

calactyte i hope you have it separated in layers in PS, so when we code it we can group all the objects in the same layer (as in arcade) and export as a single image.
a thing to take care of: the game will run at 1280x720 but stages are higher than that (scroll when jump), so make it 750 px high

Ok, Currently I built it at 1920 x 1080 so we have lots of pixel resolution to work with. Yep, It's all organized into layers in Photoshop. Ok so we're shooting for 720p got it. I'll need your email address so we can pass along files to each other. I'm new here so, not sure if you can PM it to me?

Ok another update here. Far background mountains are in. I searched until I found mountains that almost exactly match the profile of the original. It's uncanny that I was able to find something so close. I also found the two temples that are used in the original, but much larger versions of them so that was also good luck.

I started on the gong as you can see in this version, the carpet is much more carpet like...and I can't remember what else I did, but it's all improved. Once I'm finished with the room I'll look into making it have more contrast and darkening it if need be.

throne_room_HD.jpg