Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

^I'm not against it, just pointing out.

@Bleed
TYM looks fantastic, but I still don't like the fist in the winning pose.
I think the palm of his hand shouldn't be so visible since it's a closed fist.

You have it like this:
fkpgjl.jpg
and I think it should be more like this:
e9dcp5.jpg

La_Luna i know, i like how you are helping people here posting some arcade rips, actualy, you are giving a realy significant help =)))
But anyway, Gojira i hope you fix the Shang Tsung goate AND if you could do, you would some pictures of goro =) o Hope so =)
Sorry about my bad english

tremor_209: Thanks a lot for that picture. I already have a fair amount of pictures saved but you can never have too much reference! This photo actually seems clearer than most of the ones I have, so it definitely helps.

No problem! Glad to help! ^_^

^I'm not against it, just pointing out.

@Bleed
TYM looks fantastic, but I still don't like the fist in the winning pose.
I think the palm of his hand shouldn't be so visible since it's a closed fist.

You have it like this:
fkpgjl.jpg
and I think it should be more like this:
e9dcp5.jpg

Thanks, I'm trying to fix this now but it's not easy. It's something I should have gotten right from the start.

Whatever you did, it looks right now. Are you using zBrush new FiberMesh brush for the hair or hand drawn in Photoshop? I'd move on to his outfit.

It was a quick mock up in photoshop. Have not messed with the fibermesh at all. Need to look into it. Specifically if it transfer well into other programs like Maya

One small detail about Shang.. I don't think he had a beard in MK1, just mustache:

Yeah, didn't realize that. I still went ahead and put it in though, but can always delete it later if everyone prefers. Great references also, thanks.

But anyway, Gojira i hope you fix the Shang Tsung goate AND if you could do, you would some pictures of goro =) o Hope so =)
Sorry about my bad english

Don't worry about it man, we understand ya. Goatee will not be a problem to slim down, and I have no recent updates for Goro. Want to go back though and revise him a bit once I finished with Shang. Will post some images then.

Quick update of blocked in outfit:

shang8.jpg

Also, updated Liu Kang with slimmer build:

kang10.jpg

Thanks a lot for all the help people, very cool.

Last edited:
Stopping here for now, but what you guys think of the no feet look? In some images I see his feet are visible, but when fighting him I don't think they are.

shang9.jpg

He looks awesome! I like the no feet look. All I think you need to do is have his hair more near the top of his head. Other than that, nice job!
So I'm assuming you're just going to have him hovering like he did in MK1? Because then you'd really need to work on getting the cloth to move right.
Stopping here for now, but what you guys think of the no feet look? In some images I see his feet are visible, but when fighting him I don't think they are.

View attachment 2812

Yeah, no feet look is better. And Maya has a neat-o nCloth particle system that makes animating cloth not too hard, but not without some effort. I have some tutorials and manuals to help me out, so shouldn't be too stressful. Of course, I hate animating so we'll see how it goes.

Latest update, was just messing with textures. The quality will look a whole lot better in Maya:

shang10.jpgshang11.jpg

Shang's feet are clearly visible whenever he gets knocked down, his robes are just long enough to cover them otherwise, I suppose. With that in mind, the robes should probably be extended a bit further down, because right now it kind of looks like he just doesn't have any feet (though it may just be the placement of his sash confusing me a bit).

Liu Kang and Shang Tsung both look great overall. The only real concern I have with Liu Kang at this point is that maybe his hands and feet look a little big. I think the size of his hands contributes to the feeling of his arms being oversized, and his feet look kind of wide and flat. They aren't the exact same shoes he wore for MK1 obviously, but if you look at the photo of Cage and Kang that Bleed posted at the bottom of page 173, I reckon the shape of his sneakers should maybe be closer to what they are wearing there.

Alright, cool. Made Kang's feet slimmer and shrunk is arms, and also showing more of Tsung's feet. Will have to make the folds deeper though on his robe:

kang10.jpgshang13.jpg

Think I'll have to stop doing these zbrush renders, it warps the image a bit. Makes them look shorter and gives it a slight fish eye lens appearance.

Yeah, no feet look is better. And Maya has a neat-o nCloth particle system that makes animating cloth not too hard, but not without some effort. I have some tutorials and manuals to help me out, so shouldn't be too stressful. Of course, I hate animating so we'll see how it goes.

Latest update, was just messing with textures. The quality will look a whole lot better in Maya:

View attachment 2813View attachment 2814

I dont get it, you and every member who is doing this PROJECT must be mages, its absolutily OUTSTANDING!
The only thing left for Shang Tsung is his hair, and the Ninjato(its the ninja sword)
But his clothes isnt much like that, you should be based in this image
His belt should be blue, and you need to make the stripes, nothing more, but here is my itention
mk1_shang_tsung_by_jiggeh-d3e6vtq.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I've been watching this thread for a few months now. Great work guys! Like others have said before, it would be nice to see some videos of some of these characters in action. Even if it's just basic walking and jumping, like the scorpion vs subzero in the throne room video.

I hope this project can make it through to the end. A lot of people are looking forward to this, please don't ever quit.

Alright, cool. Made Kang's feet slimmer and shrunk is arms, and also showing more of Tsung's feet. Will have to make the folds deeper though on his robe:

View attachment 2815View attachment 2816

Think I'll have to stop doing these zbrush renders, it warps the image a bit. Makes them look shorter and gives it a slight fish eye lens appearance.

great job on shang but i think liu needs more facial detail...

and i agree with interloko liu's head is too big.