Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I'll do the skinning today.

[edit]

He's moving now, but I'm still tweaking the skin weights.

Last edited:
Excellent! I know that it is a ton of work, but I'm hoping we can finish up both Scorp and Raiden within the next 2 months. It would be great for Interloko to have two completed characters to work with so that he can start figure out projectile velocities and game physics.

I'm going to finish up projectiles, then I'll work on blood.

I got in touch with Jarvis who said he'll be on later this week to give us source files. He said he hasn't given up on us, so I'm guessing life is taking his attention away from this project.

I'll do the skinning today.

[edit]

He's moving now, but I'm still tweaking the skin weights.

See where it's at now, I've only messed with the envelopes so far. After adding the cloth, I'll go back over it with extra bones and painting weights by hand.

I figured out a little trick for modeling fingers last night. I tend to have a problem when my models bend their fingers, where they lose thickness and leave a big gap in the middle when fully curled. This is after modeling with reference images.

What I did was make a finger totally flat with just a plane. Rigged it and bent it in to the final fist shape.

Then added a Shell modifier to give it thickness and an edit poly on top, to adjust the final shape when it's fully bent.

After editing the mesh on that pose, when the finger is straighnened some things came to light.

1 = The finger should be a little taller than weider, to keep the mass when bent.

2 = The knuckle divisions on the bottom should be more spread out than on top of the finger.
Looks like this | / \ |

When the finger bends, that helps it keep it's shape a lot better. So for next time, something to remember.

Raiden_skinning.jpg

Last edited:
I'd just like to add that I've had that same exact problem in the past and found that Joint Angle Deformers really come in handy at that point.

Also, Bleed I want to thank you for sharing how you set up your rig with twisty bones. That solved shoulder movement problem and forearm twist problem I always seemed to have. Rigging is almost fun when things start to work correctly.

I wonder if you might share you work flow for export normal maps from zBrush. I know how to do it, but I know you use xnormal in there and I'm not sure when you use that in process. I guess you import your zBrush exported normals into xnormal and then export out from their to use in 3ds max?

Oh yeah and Raiden is looking AWESOME! I can't wait to see him fully-skinned, textured and moving around.

See where it's at now, I've only messed with the envelopes so far. After adding the cloth, I'll go back over it with extra bones and painting weights by hand.

I figured out a little trick for modeling fingers last night. I tend to have a problem when my models bend their fingers, where they lose thickness and leave a big gap in the middle when fully curled. This is after modeling with reference images.

What I did was make a finger totally flat with just a plane. Rigged it and bent it in to the final fist shape.

Then added a Shell modifier to give it thickness and an edit poly on top, to adjust the final shape when it's fully bent.

After editing the mesh on that pose, when the finger is straighnened some things came to light.

1 = The finger should be a little taller than weider, to keep the mass when bent.

2 = The knuckle divisions on the bottom should be more spread out than on top of the finger.
Looks like this | / \ |

When the finger bends, that helps it keep it's shape a lot better. So for next time, something to remember.

Raiden_skinning.jpg

I use Xnormal, because the textures seem to come out a little sharper and I can make other maps with it.

Zbrush works too, and I'll bake from there if I'm having too much trouble baking maps with Xnormal. The Face for example, tight spots on the mouth are hard to bake with projection. So I just get it right out of the UVs with Zbrush.

To avoid that, you can open the mouth or put the mesh in some other pose that'll give a cleaner projection.

I would have been done by now if not for the big sleeves, it's hard to make them animate right. I keep having to work the same area over and over, but I'll get it.

eh..., good enough

Still looks weird but, I can fix some trouble areas with morph targets later.

Moving on to textures.

Raiden_skinning_02.jpg

Awesome work Bleed. I think morph targets will be necessary for a number poses when bones can't fix things. Especially when Raiden throws his lightening he opens his mouth I think. So for facial expressions it will be cool. Anyone see Demonseed? He was working on Sonya and then he sort of disappeared.

eh..., good enough

Still looks weird but, I can fix some trouble areas with morph targets later.

Moving on to textures.

Raiden_skinning_02.jpg

This Raiden pose remember me to the MK9 intro first cut.

Looks great! I can't wait to see the diffuse map :)

Im moving back to try make a character for practice.
I like remake staff, learning all again like topology and modeling technicles to get better.

This time im starting drawing the face of the character i will modeling and make a good low poly base.

About GL i didn't forget it. Im remaking all the blocks in the wall to see like the arcade.

Talking with Interloko he told me that he haven't internet access at his work now so is not able to post too many times.

Will be cool know the current status of the other characters in develop (modeling)

Sonya
Kano
Goro

Scorpion - Done
Subzero - Done
Reptile - Done
Raiden - Diffuse Texture

I'm making Lightning's hat from Big trouble in little china tonight, I got it modeled already, just need to put some straw on it.

All done in 3Ds.max

I need to tweak the shape a little in Zbrush and get the weaving pattern on the bottom big loop.

The loops in the body should bend the straw, so you can notice some pressure on it.

ThunderHat.jpg