Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I notice you use the Wave Spacewarp but I'm thinking this could also be done with the Wave modifier no?

I don't think so, I just tried the wave modifier now and it looks like I can't do the same thing. All I'm getting is a bowing effect, instead of many waves moving in a certain direction.

It would be nice for something like the wings on an air plane bouncing up and down.

I made the spear in several ways all these years but my last one was scaling the rope.
The old rope is just plain without any detail so won't be noticeable any quality loss but I'm not sure if this (scaling) will work well with this one.
Quick example:
View attachment 2376

Another similar option is using animation instead scale. so we make an animation with diferent rope sizes every frame and show the desire frame according the distance between players.
Pro: perfect image quality
con: a lot of sprites instead 1
View attachment 2375

I like to see in movement what you have, can you make a short video in HD?
About the vibration we have the same "problem" if this does not look right scaled, but i like a lot the new vibration

I'm tweaking the spear toss and pull animation for Scorpion still, some details I need to fix. As soon as I can though I'll post an example for you to see. You can notice the scale effect the texture on the rope, but it's so small you don't really notice unless you are looking for it.

Instead of scaling, what could be done is like you say. Make an animation of the rope at different lengths. You can then use a variable to control what frame is showing depending on enemy distance.

I can see a problem here, because you will probably notice a pop when the spear stops vibrating and changes to the straight pulling frames. The texture will be slightly different.

A simple scale of one animation would look fine IMO. Maybe I'll send you the character, to see up close.

Something else I could try is countering the texture squash by increasing the size of it in 3DMax. If I make the texture get bigger over a second or so, when it squashes in mugen, it'll look like nothing has changed or very little.

UMK3_Scorp_3D_SpearToss_02.gif

I need to make a couple more animations for the spear sequence to look okay, the pull and daze.

Last edited:
Right, the stumble needs work also.

I'm making the pull animation now, so hopefully I can have another video up for tonight.

Bink!

UMK3_Scorp_3d_Dizzy.gif

This one's still a little rough but it's getting late. I'll make a quick video now and post it on youtube.

Looks amazing bleed. you really get the way to make the animations fast and like the originals.
Seriously i don't understand the way of a not Official MKHD made with 3d models like yours. Having a whole studio is not too much hard work.

Maybe they didn't think it was worth the effort. Putting all this work in to making an old game most people would buy as is anyway, I know I did. I've bought UMK3 like 5 times already...

I haven't counted what animations are left, but I have a good chunk of them done, I'd guess a quarter or so.

Another update on youtube is uploading, WIP 04.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gabe687?feature=mhee

Last edited:
Yeah, I left it uploading last night and it got stuck when the PC went to sleep, I'm uploading it again.

New vid is up: UMK3 Scorpion 3D WIP 04

Last edited:
It looks impressive as usual, I think, nevertheless that some animations, such as diagonal jump and the spear pull are a little too big. Maybe I'm wrong...

Amazing job Bleed. Did you use a different resolution in MUGEN or something?
Characters look much smaller than in your previous videos.

The only thing that doesn't look as impressive is high-kick combo.
I think the characters are standing too close to each other:

xli4xz.jpg

Oh, yeah easy fix.

The size of the sprites isn't changing, maybe they moved the camera in the studio or something. I'm rendering all the sprites with the camera in the same location, so they are all the same size.

Looks like I need to adjust the vest in the back.

Resolution is the last video is changed to 1280 X 720. The sprites are the size the UMK3 sprites are if scaled up to fit in there. Same as the MK1 sprites I was posting.

[edit]
Done, push box fixed

Last edited:
Looks Great Bleed! now with part of the LP done will be easy to make the second LP and later the HP, same lo LK animation.
The Basic moves are coming to be complete!

About the size, how much are you scaling them from the arcade resolution?

Whenever possible, I can use them as a base since the motions are similar. I can put what I have from the UMK3 model on MK1 models and adjust the pose a little for each frame.

If you take a screen shot of Mame, scale it up so the height is 720. That's how big I'm making the sprites, roughly 4 - 5 inches.

This is the actual size in game. I'm going to re make this model in the future, because there are some things I see that could have been done better.
Dizzy_fullScale.gif

Last edited: