Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Here are a few suggestions

KanoPaintOver01.gif

calactyte are you rendering these from max? You can crop the image you know, because these samples are huge!

In max click on the "Rendered Frame Window" button, next to the quick render icon.

In there you'll see some cropping tools near the upper left. Set it how you want, and in your render settings, set the "area to render" slot to "crop"

If you want to make a gif, you can open the render in Photoshop and save it as a .gif.

If you render as separate files for each frame, you can load them in to a single file in Photoshop with.

File > Scripts > Load Files in to Stack.

Once the files are loaded as layers, in the Animation window, open it's options and click "make frames from layers".

If the animation comes out in reverse, open the animation options again and click on "reverse frames"

With that you can make a gif that'll fit on the forum, and we don't have to be downloading every time you post an update.

You should be able to crop in After effects, flash, and I know you can in Photoshop.

Last edited:
Wow, the comparative of Bleed make sense.

But i think will be easy fix this in Zbrush and add the rest of details in the skin.

Okay, a few things here comparing it to the game.

First thing I see is a stutter in velocity on start up and impact.

It's going slow to fast, then fast to slow.

SubIce_travel.gif

I suggest making your scene the size of the screen in Mame or mugen and have the ice ball actually travel the distance. Maybe you did already, but it doesn't look that way. Some things that give me that impression are the speed changes and the vapor coming off the ball. It should be falling behind faster, not traveling at almost the same speed as the ball.

Now as for the look, checking the game I notice the crystals should be coming from the initial blast and flow in the direction of the ball and not as fast, like a sputter.

The crystals show up again on impact, like the ice ball shatters.

The puff on impact should go out, break up and fade away, like you have the mist coming off the ice ball.

I agree with your comments. At first I made the Iceball travel the length of the screen but I can't do that since Interloko requires the iceball animate in place and then travel accross the screen with code, not with pre-rendered animation. So velocity will be handled in that way. Everything else I can address as I continue to tweak.

Okay, a few things here comparing it to the game.

First thing I see is a stutter in velocity on start up and impact.

It's going slow to fast, then fast to slow.

SubIce_travel.gif

I suggest making your scene the size of the screen in Mame or mugen and have the ice ball actually travel the distance. Maybe you did already, but it doesn't look that way. Some things that give me that impression are the speed changes and the vapor coming off the ball. It should be falling behind faster, not traveling at almost the same speed as the ball.

Now as for the look, checking the game I notice the crystals should be coming from the initial blast and flow in the direction of the ball and not as fast, like a sputter.

The crystals show up again on impact, like the ice ball shatters.

The puff on impact should go out, break up and fade away, like you have the mist coming off the ice ball.

You can link the camera to the ice ball, and move the ice ball to get the actual motion in 3D while keeping it centered for the render.

Or... you can use that travel for testing. When you go to render, simply delete the moving key frame and it'll be centered.

If that second option messes with your vapor animation, you can try linking a wind space warp to it. It'll keep the ball still and blow the mist back.

All we have for Cage so far is a bit of work on his head. We can't work on too many characters at once right now, because the team isn't big enough and they will take too long. If we focus on one or two for now, it'll be easier to have something playable sooner.

DP_likeness_01.jpg

Last edited:
Low punch

I ended up having to change this animation a bit. It's too hard making it look smooth with the classic frames in HD. If I trace the frames exactly it looks really stiff.

The right punch after the left for the loop will be different, so it blends.

UMK3_Scorp_3d_LP_01.gif

Hey bleed,

I was just looking at your MK3 Scorpion and he looks really thick/beefy. Was it a conscious decision to make the ninjas more buff? Just curious.

I don't try to, that's just a natural look I end up with. Like how every person draws differently, I have a tendency to make them too thick.

Hahaha, sick man!

It also reminds me of Samurai Shodown :)

Here's what I have for the spear latching on. My version of Scorpion has the spear as a single animation stretching with code = angle draw. It works better for this sort of complex animation, because it's a solid piece and looks right at any distance. If the rope is made of segments, this is very hard to pull off IMO.

How are you doing the spear Interloko? If you want I can share my set up, unless you have something else in mind. Do we want the normal vibration with the solid rope moving up and down, or something like this example instead?

The same set up can be used to make the spear not visible behind Scorpion, It can scale on the way out.

If you download the animation and play it off your desktop with Quick time, it'll be fast. Most of these animations I'm posting play very slow online.

RopeVibration.gif

Last edited:
1 = Make a straight spline and make it renderable.

2 = Add an Edit spline modifier and add a bunch of vertices to it, like 50 divisions.

3 = Add a Noise modifier

4 = create a wave space warp and link it to the spline with the "Bind to space warp" button.

5 = Check what timing is needed for the animation and animate your space warp, then animate the noise as needed.

That's it.

Nailed it! Beautiful job Bleed as always.

Hahaha, sick man!

It also reminds me of Samurai Shodown :)

Here's what I have for the spear latching on. My version of Scorpion has the spear as a single animation stretching with code = angle draw. It works better for this sort of complex animation, because it's a solid piece and looks right at any distance. If the rope is made of segments, this is very hard to pull off IMO.

How are you doing the spear Interloko? If you want I can share my set up, unless you have something else in mind. Do we want the normal vibration with the solid rope moving up and down, or something like this example instead?

The same set up can be used to make the spear not visible behind Scorpion, It can scale on the way out.

If you download the animation and play it off your desktop with Quick time, it'll be fast. Most of these animations I'm posting play very slow online.

RopeVibration.gif

I notice you use the Wave Spacewarp but I'm thinking this could also be done with the Wave modifier no?

1 = Make a straight spline and make it renderable.

2 = Add an Edit spline modifier and add a bunch of vertices to it, like 50 divisions.

3 = Add a Noise modifier

4 = create a wave space warp and link it to the spline with the "Bind to space warp" button.

5 = Check what timing is needed for the animation and animate your space warp, then animate the noise as needed.

That's it.

I made the spear in several ways all these years but my last one was scaling the rope.
The old rope is just plain without any detail so won't be noticeable any quality loss but I'm not sure if this (scaling) will work well with this one.
Quick example:
soga2.gif

Another similar option is using animation instead scale. so we make an animation with diferent rope sizes every frame and show the desire frame according the distance between players.
Pro: perfect image quality
con: a lot of sprites instead 1
sogad.gif

I like to see in movement what you have, can you make a short video in HD?
About the vibration we have the same "problem" if this does not look right scaled, but i like a lot the new vibration